Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: buy a used RAV4 EV or wait?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:08 pm 

I also plan to keep mine. I looked very seriously at "upgrading" to a Tesla model 3 but it really would only be an upgrade in cost.
I did a DU replacement under warranty and now have a Toyota platinum warranty.
But really the only maintenance is check the fluids, floormats and rotate the tires.
If you want an EV SUV, it is really the only choice.
Sure, someday there will be other choices, that will cost a lot more. Sure, it is a pain dealing with the dealer service, but only occasionally.
I have solar so at this point I drive for free.
I am at 60K miles and plan to run mine into the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:09 am 

I've got about 20k miles on my RAV4EV and about 1k miles on my Model 3 . . . and, overall, I kind of like the RAV4 better. At this stage of life, the RAV4 is easier ingress/egress, I prefer many of the discrete, tactile switchgear over the M3's touchscreen-oriented controls, and of course the utility of the large rear area is outstanding.

For example, I just picked up a large, 40 lb. package from USP distribution center today on my way home, and it slid right in the back of the RAV4. If I'd had the M3, I would have had to do some stooping and such to get it into the trunk or backseat. Really, the utility of the RAV4 is unmatched by any EV anywhere close in price.

I was seriously considering getting a second RAV4EV, but we decided the extra range, AWD, and much better ride quality of the M3 was worth the tradeoffs. I'd had the M3 reservation (deposit) before I bought the RAV4, and after a month of driving the RAV4 I realized I didn't really need the M3, but in the end we decided to retire the 13-year-old Infiniti and replace it with the M3.

I expect I'll have the RAV4EV for at least another 30k, barring a catastrophic event. I did purchase the Toyota Platinum Used Car Warranty, so I think I've hedged my bet well enough.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 pm 

dstjohn99 wrote:
I'll keep mine and run it into the ground. I'm sure when my 8yr 125k warranty expires repair parts will be available used. Also, parts will be refurbished or easier to repair I believe. The motor swap is a $15k expense at the dealer, but a real mechanic can replace the bearings and seals for a faction of that. Quick Charge Power offers a bearing replacement for $3k at their shop in San Marcos (?). The DC-DC is typically a blown diode. The onboard charger, an internal fuse. Even the battery is usually a contactor failure.

I've not yet had to replace the heater and I hear it can be $4k. But I also hear one from a Nissan will fit / work too.

Yes, we are in San Marcos, California (North San Diego county).

Tony Williams
Quick Charge Power LLC
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
TonyWilliams@QuickChargePower.com
www.QuickChargePower.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:10 pm 

I have a 2013 with 107K+ miles, wife has 2014 67K miles, brother's 2013 62K miles. 2 of 3 have QC power JdeMo installed. All three have Toyota platinum extended warranty (all put to good use, and we've gotten more than our $$$ worth). Do you get the sense that we really like this car! Recently, when my niece asked about getting an EV, I was reluctant to recommend the Rav4EV; I couldn't bear the thought of her being stranded on the road somewhere. We will drive our Rav's into the ground, but when friends and family ask for recommendations, I say to get a Tesla if they can afford it and a Leaf if they cannot, but only get a Rav if they like adventure or feel "lucky". If you do go with the Rav, do consider getting the JdeMo as well as any of the well made products from Tony Williams and QC Power ... really!!!

Eugene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:42 pm 

I would find it hard to recommend the RAV4EV to a new owner at this point, especially if they can't get extended warranty coverage on it. I'll run mine into the ground because:

I already have it and it suits my needs.
    I have an extended warranty that will run for a few more years
    If the heater died out of warranty, I'd just make do with the seat heaters here in sunny southern California.
    I think my last motor replacement is going to last since the other two I had started making noise before now.
    I like having an "unusual" EV.
    I live close enough to QuickChargePower that I could use Tony's services if I did have to deal with one of the expensive repairs.

If I didn't already own the RAV, I'd probably buy a Model 3. If I absolutely had to have an SUV (I don't), I would probably settle for a plug-in hybrid as I can't afford and really don't care for the Model X. I'd also seriously consider the Bolt. I liked my LEAF, and would be happy to buy one of the newer ones if Nissan ever got their battery degradation problems under control.

Last edited by davewill on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 am 

Can anyone estimate how much a platinum warranty might cost? Just want to factor that into my purchase price estimates as well (just in case I see a used one w/out a transferable warranty).

PS— I like the RAV4 as I am thinking about growing my family to two kids, and have a horrid 50min (each way) stop and go commute for work. Was hoping to kill two birds with one stone so to speak, and not get a smaller EV and have to constantly switch cars wih my spouse (2018 RAV4 Hybrid) when I’m out and about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:56 pm 

I paid $2900 out the door (after inspection fee and state tax) in late 2017, for the Toyota Platinum Used Car Warranty for a vehicle with 50k miles on it. Others have paid slightly more or less. Mileage on the vehicle apparently matters.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:27 pm 

Also consider Hyundai KONA EV or the Kia Niro EV

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/kona-electric/index.aspx

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/upcoming-vehicles/2019-niro-ev?file=gallery_niro-ev_2019_exterior_white

I would stay away from Nissan LEAF due to battery degradation issues. I assume BOLT is too small.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 pm 

The Kona does look amazing-- got my eye on that one too! Bummer about the Leaf.