ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it generally true the new replacement motors will not develop the milling sound?
Is there a mileage cutoff after which is the milling hasn’t presented itself it is safe to say you didn’t get a bad egg?

Generically, if you have a Revision Q (or later) unit, it seems to be solved. Earlier revision rebuilds continued to have wear/noise issues.

IIRC, Rev. Q debuted in late 2015 or early 2016, and if your DU had been replaced after that timeframe, I assume the noise will not reappear (based only on what I've read online).

I kind of doubt that the revision of the DU is recorded by Toyota. But that is only a guess.

I also don't know if the revision letters for the RAV4EV DUs are the same as for the Model S.

Here's what I assume to be a Model S Rev. P DU label from an eBay listing that's ended:

s-l1600.jpg

Compare to the DU label on ddoxey's replacement DU in May2017, which appears to be a Rev F:

j66MUDD.png

j8xGcLO.png

That's why I'm thinking perhaps the DUs supplied to Toyota might have different Rev letters than the Model S.

But this is all guesswork on my part. Perhaps someone with better knowledge will chime in.

People posted pictures on the FB group of their drive units before and after warranty replacement. This is what I came up with after looking at the pictures:

The factory drive unit appears to be "Assy, Drive Unit, 570A"
Toyota P/N G1100-0R011, Tesla P/N 1004706-00-F

Drive units replaced in Nov 2017 and Dec 2017 have the following different identifiers: "Assy, Drive Unit, 570A"
Toyota P/N G1100-0R012, Tesla P/N 1004706-00-G
and "Assy, Drive Unit, Reman, 570A"
Toyota P/N G1100-0R011-84, Tesla P/N 1024827-00-B

Can you describe where this would be stamped for a (low information) dealership salesman?
Is this under the motor compartment or under the hood?

Mine is at about 86K miles now, i hear this whine (whats more i can hear a reduced version of the same sound on my Tesla Model 3). However this car had its original motor swapped out at 25K miles under warranty (the whine was very loud at that time) and the whine i hear now has been constant for at least the last 30-40K miles so i think some level of this is endemeic to the motor used. I have to listen really closely to hear it my Model 3 btw (and i have a dual motor Model 3. You may not be able to do this in a single motor model 3 because the single-motor is a different design than the one we have in our cars, which is much closer to the motor in Model S/X Teslas. (and the *2nd* motor in the Model 3 is that same motor, but not the first).

I have found one with a (P)Tesla part number: 1004706-97-F
(S) Tesla serial number: T13A0006299

Part F sounds bad but it says -97- instead of the -00- shown above.
Can anyone tell if this is a good motor? For the amount of miles the stamp looks relatively fresh.

jabroni420 said:
I have found one with a (P)Tesla part number: 1004706-97-F
(S) Tesla serial number: T13A0006299

Part F sounds bad but it says -97- instead of the -00- shown above.
Can anyone tell if this is a good motor? For the amount of miles the stamp looks relatively fresh.

You found this physically in a Rav4 EV? Or at least claimed to be from a Rav4 EV?

Finally having my motor replaced after 5 months of waiting.

I had been calling every couple of weeks, but tapered off over the holidays. Went into the dealer today (Glendale) for a Check EV error and they mentioned they had the motor and that it had "been there for a while." They apparently never called me when it came in.

So... moral of the story - keep calling or they'll forget you.

Finally got my car back. In addition to the 5 month wait for a motor, they held on to the car for two weeks because the technician was "relly busy". I wish they would have mentioned that before I handed over the keys.

On a positive note, however, they never once mentioned the Jdemo. It was still installed and working when I got the car back.

...and the car is super quiet now!

Question for all. Why are we being charged $10000.00+ for motor replacement when the Munro tear down of Tesla puts cost of that motor at $757.00 I realize it is a different motor and mass produced but really? This is especially important for those using platinum warranty because miles exceed original warranty.

Hans4444 said:
Question for all. Why are we being charged $10000.00+ for motor replacement when the Munro tear down of Tesla puts cost of that motor at $757.00 I realize it is a different motor and mass produced but really? This is especially important for those using platinum warranty because miles exceed original warranty.
Because they can. Unless you're able to buy a new motor that cheap from somebody else, they're going to charge a lot.

Back