How does MB B-Class Electric compare to RAV4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi Friends,

We're looking for a sidekick for our trusted 2014 RAV4 EV. The car has been simply awesome and is the perfect workhorse for my 75-mile daily commute, especially with the Platinum warranty running for another 3.5 years and 50k miles. The demands placed on our sidekick car are as follows: app. 20-mile daily commute / errands, partly with two little kids in the back (and stroller, etc. in trunk). I recognize that this might even work with an older LEAF (we had a 2014 on lease back in the day) but, living in TX, I just don't trust their battery to hold up over time. Then I remembered the MB 250E and I'm hoping some of you have first-hand experience with the car and how it compares to the RAV4 EV.

While any and all thoughts and suggestions (also re EV options we might be missing in the $10-20k range) are welcome, I'd particular appreciate your help with the following:

- how does the MB compare to the RAV4 in terms of interior space?

- with slightly better efficiency numbers, do both have a comparable range? Might I be able to drive the MB to work some days?

- is the warranty on battery, drivetrain, motor, etc. (Tesla components, essentially) the same for MB as for RAV4?

- does MB offer a similar deal re extended warranty as Toyota?

I should probably explain that the closest specimen I've found online is over four hours away so I'm trying to gather as much information and feedback as possible before making the trip to actually drive one.

Thanks in advance!

Back in 2015, I test drove B-Class before buying a used 2012 Rav4EV. Here are my thoughts :

Interior : Felt cheap for $46K Merc. I sat in other models including E Class, and they all had cheap plastic material everywhere. BMW and Audi had much better quality everywhere.

Interior space : Cramped. Not much passenger and cargo space. Small windows limited visibility

E-drive : The throttle response is very progressive, i.e. car accelerated slowly until deep into throttle input. Figure this is to maximize efficiency by limiting the driver input. Different levels of regenerative braking seemed redundant. I would only use the maximum level as with Rav4EV. Car was quiet with descent ride however. At the time, extended charging was additional $$$ and I didn't like E-drive characteristics. Range of 90 miles and slow response turned me off.

The dealer gave me a quote of $37K ($46K - $9K discount), but I chose to get a dealer used 2012 Rav4EV with 5K miles on it for $32K. I liked the increased range, roomier interior, and acceleration compared to the Merc.

I've lease a 2014 and currently have a 2017 Mercedes B-Class ED (B250e). Basically, I owned the first and the last ones. Unlike the RAV4 EV, there were numerous differences over the years.

I don't know what's important to you, but the RAV4 EV beats the Mercedes in EVERY metric that matters to me:

RANGE: RAV4 EV easily wins. With approximately 40kWh available when new, the RAV4 could go 125+ miles when new. Certainly, 100 miles is doable, even as the fleet batteries degrade to 30-35kWh available.

The Mercedes is lucky to hit 90 miles when new, and last night, after a "full charge", I drove about 73 miles with about 11 remaining on the GOM. Like the RAV4, the Mercedes has "normal" charge" and "full or extended charge" settings. But, the Mercedes only has 28kWh and 31.5kWh respectively available on those settings.

POWER: RAV4 EV wins, easily.

INTERIOR VOLUME: easy win for RAV4

CONFUSING BUTTONS Mercedes is a BIG winner

Certainly, I'd rather drive the Mercedes over a Nissan LEAF or a Chevy Bolt.

We now offer JdeMO fast charging for the Mercedes, like we do for the RAV4 EV.

https://www.shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMO-for-the-Mercedes-B-Class-ED-and-B250e-JdeMObclassED.htm

Phil said:
We're looking for a sidekick for our trusted 2014 RAV4 EV. The car has been simply awesome and is the perfect workhorse for my 75-mile daily commute... with slightly better efficiency numbers, do both have a comparable range? Might I be able to drive the MB to work some days?

If you want this to do an occasional 75 mile commute, get the RAV4 EV. Period.

The Mercedes isn't "slightly better efficiency", with the same Tesla motor and same box shape through the air.

If you want a putter around town car, sure, any EV will work. If you have DC fast charging in your area, and you really want the Mercedes to do 75 miles, and you don't mind cutting it close every day, then I'd say that you might be ok with a Mercedes with JdeMO.

Back