New California Corridor Fast Chargers Installed

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swogee said:
Electrify America seems to have a strong bias towards CCS. Most locations seem to have only one CHAdeMO plug. They are building a site near me in Pismo Beach and it has 4 stations with CCS and only 1 CHAdeMO. So it will be a wait if the CHAdeMO is tied up.
They're only adding CHAdeMO because of the dieselgate settlement. They had to provide charging for all vehicles, so one plug for us and a bunch of plugs for the VW EV customers hitting the streets in a year or two.

That said, I really like what EA is doing overall. It will soon be possible to cross the US entirely on fast charging thanks to them.

swogee said:
Electrify America seems to have a strong bias towards CCS. Most locations seem to have only one CHAdeMO plug. They are building a site near me in Pismo Beach and it has 4 stations with CCS and only 1 CHAdeMO. So it will be a wait if the CHAdeMO is tied up.
Besides Nissan who is really committed to CHAdeMo?

smkettner said:
swogee said:
Besides Nissan who is really committed to CHAdeMo?
They are the only ones if you include their partner Mitsubishi. The Kia Soul EV has CHAdeMO, but the next generation one with 60kWh battery will have CCS. For new cars it will only be the Leaf and Outlander PHEV with CHAdeMO.

The Electrify America site in Dunnigan is open now. It has 4 stations, 150kW each, but only one CHAdeMO connector. That connector is limited to 50kW for now. They claim that they will increase it to 100kW when further testing is completed. This reduces the longest stretch along I-5 between the Bay Area and the Oregon border to 93 miles. That is Dunnigan to Red Bluff. The Red Bluff ChargePoint site is not completely online, but it looks like one of the 3 50kW chargers is online.

Electrify America has another Coming Soon site in Willows that will reduce the longest segment to 54 miles, Redding to Dunsmuir.

Plugshare - America's Best Value Inn, Dunnigan

Chargepoint is certainly on a roll. The site in Lebec, at the foot of the Grapevine, is now under construction. This location should get a lot of use.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/182002

The State released another Localized Health Impacts Report for the GFO-15-601 North-South Corridors Grant. This is Addendum #6. The report can be found here.

This is the essence of the report:
GFO-15-601-Addendum6-Changes.jpg

The only interesting changes (IMHO) are that the EVgo Dunnigan site was moved all the way up to Corning and the King City Recargo site was moved from the truck stop outside of town into downtown. I would have preferred the shopping center near the freeway, but this is still an improvement and it will help the local businesses downtown instead of just the franchise stores and restaurants.

The fact that these sites are still not settled is in itself a little unsettling. The original Health Impacts Report for this grant was issued 3 years ago, March 11, 2016. Of the 41 sites identified in the original report, only 7 sites are open today, 3 years later.

My Google Map showing all the grant sites has been updated.

Google Maps - Future State Funded DCFC Sites

The State release yet another Localized Health Impacts report today. This time for the GFO-15-603 Inter-Regional Corridors grant. This is Addendum #5 for this grant. The report can be found here.

This table summarizes the changes. These sites are all to be installed by ChargePoint.

GFO-15-603-Addendum5-Changes.jpg

This table is different because they have backup locations, marked by an asterisk, for a few sites. To me, this means that they still don't have definitive agreements and utility studies done for these sites. Sigh.

Google map has been updated with the new sites. Only the new non-asterisked address was entered.

The ChargePoint site at the Stockton Target off I-5 and Eight Mile Road is open. Three 50kW DCFCs and a dual head L2. Nice 75 mile distance from Santa Nella. This will eliminate the need to detour to Tracy or Galt on the way to Sacramento from the south.

Plugshare - Target Stockton

Chargepoint's Baker site is now under construction. EVgo already has 6 chargers about a block away, this will make a total of 10. Vegas should be pretty easy after this one and Yermo go live.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/184723

A couple new corridor charging sites are available now.

One new corridor is the northern route to Yosemite on Highway 120. There is a site in Oakdale and at Rush Creek Lodge. Those two sites make Tuolumne Meadows reachable from the Bay Area with fast chargers.

Plugshare - Oakdale Public Parking
Plugshare - Rush Creek Lodge
Also in that area there are two coming soon in Groveland and Oakhurst. All of these are ChargePoint CEC grant sites from the Interregional Corridors grant.

One new site on I-5:
Plugshare - Walmart Patterson (EA)

It looks like there's a new Chargepoint site in Oakhurst as well that is just about to come online as well.

Plugshare - Vons Shopping Center

This location would help anyone going to Yosemite from the south via the southern entrance on SR41.

There's still nothing on SR41 between Fresno and SLO though so that makes driving the RAV4 from SLO to Yosemite challenging.

swogee said:
It looks like there's a new Chargepoint site in Oakhurst as well that is just about to come online as well.

Plugshare - Vons Shopping Center

This location would help anyone going to Yosemite from the south via the southern entrance on SR41.

There's still nothing on SR41 between Fresno and SLO though so that makes driving the RAV4 from SLO to Yosemite challenging.
Yes, one or more of the future sites in Shandon (CalTrans), Kettleman City (CalTrans), and Lemoore (ChargePoint) would be necessary for an easy trip from SLO to the Yosemite area.

Looks like Electrify America has started work on two sites along 395 up to Mammoth - Bishop and Coso Junction. I love what EA is doing.

There's also a few key sites on Plugshare that have been mostly complete for months but still not open. Wheeler Ridge on I-5 at the base of the Grapevine and Yermo on I-15 come to mind. I suspect they're waiting for the power company to hook it all up. Frustrating.

geo said:
Looks like Electrify America has started work on two sites along 395 up to Mammoth - Bishop and Coso Junction. I love what EA is doing.

There's also a few key sites on Plugshare that have been mostly complete for months but still not open. Wheeler Ridge on I-5 at the base of the Grapevine and Yermo on I-15 come to mind. I suspect they're waiting for the power company to hook it all up. Frustrating.
It also looks like Electrify America has a chance to be the first to close the gap between Salinas and San Luis Obispo 101 too. They have a "coming soon" site in Greenfield. However, those Plugshare entries most likely come from EA's online map, not from actual evidence of construction. However, you never know, Envision Solar could drop their solar+battery+DCFC systems at the Camp Roberts rest stops at any time. I really have to wonder what is taking Recargo so long to get their sites going on the 101 corridor.

miimura said:
geo said:

It also looks like Electrify America has a chance to be the first to close the gap between Salinas and San Luis Obispo 101 too. They have a "coming soon" site in Greenfield. However, those Plugshare entries most likely come from EA's online map, not from actual evidence of construction. However, you never know, Envision Solar could drop their solar+battery+DCFC systems at the Camp Roberts rest stops at any time. I really have to wonder what is taking Recargo so long to get their sites going on the 101 corridor.

I just drove up to Mammoth. Checked out the Bishop and Coso Junction Electrify America sites. Coso Junction is nearly complete with 4 stalls. Bishop is also underway, looks like at least 4 stalls there as well. I posted pics to Plugshare.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/190894
https://www.plugshare.com/location/186193

Bad news for the 101 corridor. Recargo is missing their deadlines for installing their grant funded charging sites and the State issued a pre-emptive stop work order to notify them that they will probably not get any of their grant funds.

https://electricrevs.com/2019/09/08/ca-issued-stop-work-orders-against-recargo-on-22-state-funded-charging-sites/

That's really sad about Recargo. Would any other company be able to step in to get the grants?

In better news, Chargepoint's site at the foot of the Grapevine finally powered up (after almost six months.) That makes it much easier to get in/out of LA on I-5.

Oakhurst near Yosemite is also open

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186368

geo said:
That's really sad about Recargo. Would any other company be able to step in to get the grants?

In better news, Chargepoint's site at the foot of the Grapevine finally powered up (after almost six months.) That makes it much easier to get in/out of LA on I-5.

Oakhurst near Yosemite is also open

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186368
The thing that I'm most frustrated about is that ChargePoint is not bringing the sites fully online and activating them on their network. It doesn't do anyone any good for them to be powered on but not showing as available on the network.

Baker, Yermo and Buttonwillow have all been installed for quite some time, but not available. Some may not have utility service yet, but the Lebec site has had power for weeks but is still not shown on the network today.

Back