Seattle area drivers: what range are you seeing this winter?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtManz

Mine is showing 90max (without heater on)… i'm wondering if the range loss is the cold or if the battery is wearing out...
In the summer I think I saw up to 110...

That is about what I get. The GOM really tells nothing about the battery state. Use the Tony test for that.
But just to see how far you will go, yes Seattle in the winter is limited to about 90 miles.

I'm at almost 70k on the original 2014 battery.

Last winter, which wasn't as cold, GOM range was 85 and was accurate.

This winter, several degrees average colder, GOM range is 82-83 and is accurate.

I am driving 60 miles/day, five days/week. I run the heater on Normal, and use the seat warmer.

An interesting aside: I now pick up a carpooler for three out of my five days/week commute. When he's in the car, I have to turn down the heater about 2-3 degrees. That was unexpected. I make him drive on the return trip in the afternoon, he drives quite a bit faster than I and we use the carpool lanes, so closer to 70 than my usual 62. Could have something to do with the slight drop in GOM range.

----------------------------

During the recent snow days, I drove the M3 because it's AWD, and while it's more comfortable (much more even heating, for example), I would burn 100-120 miles of GOM for a 60 mile commute. Of course, that's in colder weather and driving in snow & slush and slow traffic (=more heater runtime), but still . . . . good thing it's got 310 mi. range. I have it charge to 260 mi. max.

Back