ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically, they don't want to do it so they put a high price on it. When it's warranty and they're working both sides of the books the amount doesn't matter because their actual cost, if any, is the same regardless of the dollar amount that goes through the dealership.

Hans4444 said:
Question for all. Why are we being charged $10000.00+ for motor replacement when the Munro tear down of Tesla puts cost of that motor at $757.00 I realize it is a different motor and mass produced but really? This is especially important for those using platinum warranty because miles exceed original warranty.
I understand that Toyota replaces the entire Tesla drive unit as a single component. Not pulling it all apart to just replace the electric motor component. Actually $10,000 is lower than many have been quoted.

miimura said:
Basically, they don't want to do it so they put a high price on it. When it's warranty and they're working both sides of the books the amount doesn't matter because their actual cost, if any, is the same regardless of the dollar amount that goes through the dealership.
Except that it DOES matter when it's the extended warranty. It depletes the coverage faster.

davewill said:
miimura said:
Except that it DOES matter when it's the extended warranty. It depletes the coverage faster.
100% agree. That's why I had mine replaced just before the end of the factory Powertrain Warranty - so I could preserve the extended warranty for future claims.

davewill said:
miimura said:
If you have basically used up most of the extended warranty... would it be ethical to sell the vehicle and represent the warranty still exits?

smkettner said:
If you have basically used up most of the extended warranty... would it be ethical to sell the vehicle and represent the warranty still exits?

That's kind of a personal standard. I would, for one, have a problem with representing a warranty that was mostly used up as full. I would probably simply tell them it had the warranty and tell them what had been replaced under it. Unless you had actually used it all the way up, it would likely cover smaller items like the heater, even if it wouldn't cover a motor replacement.

miimura said:
100% agree. That's why I had mine replaced just before the end of the factory Powertrain Warranty - so I could preserve the extended warranty for future claims.

I would have done that except that the last one they did (in the upper 30K mile range as I recall) has lasted into the mid 60K miles without making any more noise. (knocking on wood)

I have just never heard of an extended warranty getting fully used to the full value of a vehicle until the RAV4-EV.
Who would really suspect this is even possible? Very few read the entire contract.

geo
Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Finally having my motor replaced after 5 months of waiting.

I had been calling every couple of weeks, but tapered off over the holidays. Went into the dealer today (Glendale) for a Check EV error and they mentioned they had the motor and that it had "been there for a while." They apparently never called me when it came in.

So... moral of the story - keep calling or they'll forget you.

I have been waiting since late October as well for my motor replacement as well, went in a few weeks ago and got shoulder shrugs and a we will call you when ready.
i have been holding off on getting my Jdemo installed I bought off of another member.
Tempted just to have it installed and make them work around it.

I have been looking all over this site to see if I have the Jdemo installed will it cause a problem with my already approved motor replacement under warranty.
I see a couple of members here have waited 5 months to year for their motors to get to the dealer.
I am on month 3 and would like to start taking my RAV4EV to Vegas from San Diego with the Jdemo.
I have had my Jdemo sitting in a box for the same 3 months waiting.

kmcclellan45 said:
I have been looking all over this site to see if I have the Jdemo installed will it cause a problem with my already approved motor replacement under warranty.
I see a couple of members here have waited 5 months to year for their motors to get to the dealer.
I am on month 3 and would like to start taking my RAV4EV to Vegas from San Diego with the Jdemo.
I have had my Jdemo sitting in a box for the same 3 months waiting.
It really depends on who is doing the motor replacement. Some dealers won't do any significant work on the car with JdeMO present while others just charge a fee to work around it. For jobs like a heater or DC-DC, the JdeMO bracket is actually in the way and needs to be unbolted and moved aside. For a motor replacement, the bracket is in the way of unbolting one of the motor mounts. For a battery replacement, the battery tap cables must be removed and reinstalled on the new battery. The fee for this stuff varies between $150 and $500 depending on the dealership and the work being done. If you know you are getting a new motor "soon" then I would just be patient and have the JdeMO installed after the motor is swapped.

smkettner said:
San Diego? Ask Tony about a preferred dealer for the work you need.

If the motor is already ordered, then that’s unfortunately where the work will need to be done. They won’t change that.

We deal exclusively with Carlsbad Toyota (after their nutjob mechanic was asked to leave a few years ago). We only have four Toyota dealers in San Diego county that can do EV repairs, but we don’t recommend them. We recommend several other dealers around the world.

INSTALL THE JdeMO™ !!! No, your warranty or motor replacement isn’t at risk. If you don’t want to have the dealer remove the required bits with the motor replacement, we will make those changes for free (just prior to you delivering the car for the motor swap).

When the motor arrives at the dealer, we will be happy to help with the dealer. If you have us install JdeMO™, we will also update the software and some hardware for free. We strongly recommend hood struts, by the way, and we have those in stock.

Thanks,

Tony Williams
Quick Charge Power LLC
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
support (((@))) QuickChargePower.com
http://www.QuickChargePower.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

I just received my vehicle back yesterday. Frank Toyota of National City did the replacement. I didn't expect to get it back so fast considering I did not make an appointment. I dropped it off about 11am and they called me the next day 2:30pm telling me it was ready for pickup.
So Tony, I will be contacting you for the next available time slot to get this charger installed that had been staring at me since October.

kmcclellan45 said:
I just received my vehicle back yesterday. Frank Toyota of National City did the replacement. I didn't expect to get it back so fast considering I did not make an appointment. I dropped it off about 11am and they called me the next day 2:30pm telling me it was ready for pickup.
So Tony, I will be contacting you for the next available time slot to get this charger installed that had been staring at me since October.

Ok! See you then.

I use Glendale Toyota for my service. They have never once mentioned the Jdemo, even during a motor replacement. I've had at least 4-5 visits to them since I had it installed.

I think they're either really cool about it or too clueless to know what it is... regardless, they've always done the work.

So after having my motor replaced six months ago, it's now completely failed and will be stuck at Toyota Carlsbad for a few months, while another motor is sourced. Not happy! :x

Jonathan_UK said:
So after having my motor replaced six months ago, it's now completely failed and will be stuck at Toyota Carlsbad for a few months, while another motor is sourced. Not happy! :x

Did the drive unit fail? What are the details? Typically the DU makes noise or has other symptoms, but a catastrophic failure is rare.

Jonathan_UK said:
Well the replacements ARE all remanufactured, so having one die isn't that big a shock. In one way, you're lucky it failed so quickly instead of just after your warranty was expired.

dstjohn99 said:
Jonathan_UK said:

Did the drive unit fail? What are the details? Typically the DU makes noise or has other symptoms, but a catastrophic failure is rare.

No warning other than a Check EV warning light come on three days prior to the failure. When the failure occurred, there were no sounds or vibrations.

Most probable cause is the electronic circuit board within the unit, possibly corrosion?

Today I had a call from Toyota Carlsbad telling me the hire car they gave me is my financial responsibility. Going to see the service manager tomorrow to refute this.

Back