Deep cycle AGM battery almost died out on me

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cashcow said:
What kind of weird error messages can come up? I already got the check ev system. Is there room for more? Also how can I clear it? Someone said tech stream and a cable. Is tech stream a subscription? I really hope not because my mom took out a loan on a leaf and we are in debt so spending right now would not be good.
If you poke around the forum you will find lots of oddball errors that were fixed with a new 12v battery. Good chance of being disabled too. Keep reading, this has been an issue once the oem battery reaches two or three years. Battery does not care about your budget issues.

davewill said:
miimura said:
If you have to take it to the dealer to diagnose the Check EV System and they determine that the 12V battery is the cause, you will have to pay for the diagnostic time. It will not be covered by the Platinum Extended Warranty since the battery is specifically excluded from that policy.
This is essentially the issue. The car goes berserk sometimes when the 12v battery is low. If you are out of warranty, or don't realize the cause, the situation gets messy and expensive (diagnostics, towing, replacing parts that aren't actually bad) for what in a normal car would just be a new battery. Therefore it's best to replace the 12v battery at the earliest sign that it's not OK rather than try to coax it along.

What a dick move by Toyota so in total I have to replace the battery then clear the error code or pay diagnosis time. I have AAA so the towing is not the issue but why would it cost me to replace parts that are not bad if I have the Platinum warranty? What wouldn't be covered?

cashcow said:
What a dick move by Toyota so in total I have to replace the battery then clear the error code or pay diagnosis time. I have AAA so the towing is not the issue but why would it cost me to replace parts that are not bad if I have the Platinum warranty? What wouldn't be covered?

Even if you manage to get that stuff covered, who wants the hassle? Especially when you will end up paying to replace the battery anyway?

Good point so I will replace the battery. I still need something to clear the error code for check ev system. Someone mentioned sub $10 Bluetooth units in Amazon. Does anyone here have experience with any of these? I only need something to clear the error code. Hopefully something sub$10 range.

-edit-

I looked at my pepboys order online for the Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size 24F and I bought it on Feb 14, 2017 for a total of $184.63. It comes with a 4-year free replacement warranty so I might just maybe be able to get it replaced?

Oh, and for those interested Pepboys has that AGM battery and others on sale with a discount of -25%.

https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platinum-series-agm-battery-group-size-24f/product/838890

Sears also has a -20% discount on diehard batteries

https://slickdeals.net/f/5963784-sears-20-off-all-die-hard-automotive-batteries-free-in-store-pickup?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarAlgo1

You can also get another $5 off using coupon code SEARS2013 or VALPAK5

Thanks for responding so I have to take it to Pep Boys to see if it will qualify for the extended warranty replacement? It does not matter if the battery was bought two years ago? I called bosch today in the morning and I left a message with my inquiry. I have never replaced a battery using the warranty so I am in experience in this field. Then the battery will have to test bad at Pep Boys? how exactly? not holding a charge or having low voltage. The battery is still working but when I turn on the car the dome lights dim a little bit and if the car is off for a few hours the dome lights are weak.

cashcow said:
Thanks for responding so I have to take it to Pep Boys to see if it will qualify for the extended warranty replacement? It does not matter if the battery was bought two years ago? I called bosch today in the morning and I left a message with my inquiry. I have never replaced a battery using the warranty so I am in experience in this field. Then the battery will have to test bad at Pep Boys? how exactly? not holding a charge or having low voltage. The battery is still working but when I turn on the car the dome lights dim a little bit and if the car is off for a few hours the dome lights are weak.
The normal test is a load test. If the voltage drops below a certain voltage under a specified load, it fails and will be replaced. I don't think there is any question your battery will fail based on your description.

cashcow said:
Thanks for responding so I have to take it to Pep Boys to see if it will qualify for the extended warranty replacement? ...

You might be able to take it to any place that carries Bosch batteries, but essentially, yes.

I can’t respond to how different warrantees may or may not cover this battery, but in general, you would have to prove that the battery was faulty and that you didn’t cause it to become faulty. Good luck with all that.

As to the faults on the Rav4 EV, the sky is the limit. I don’t think we even know all the potential things I can go crazy when you let the 12 V battery go bad.

Hopefully, people reading this will know that if they have not looked at that 12 V battery in years, it’s time for it to get replaced before it causes big problems.

Bosch called me back and said that I basically need to take the battery to Pep Boys. The way he described the warranty process was that Pep Boys will test the battery and then possibly give me a replacement. It did not sound very morbid and it sounded very straightforward and easy. However I do not know what Pep Boys will require to honor the warranty. I guess the only way to find out is to take the battery to pep boys and see what will happen.Bosch did not sound gloomy about the request to replace the battery. I thought I would have to fill out a form from Bosch since it has been so long but I do not need to do that just take it to Pep Boys. I will probably go there when I have some free time on my hands. The battery so far has not failed completely on me however then dome light do weekend when I turn on the rav 4

I finally went down to pep boys. I printed a receive from my online order. when I got there they brought out a machine on wheels and hooked up the battery. The battery was tested for about 3 minutes. After that the guy asked for my paperwork off receipt. Then he said I will get a new battery and they installed it for me for $12. I could have done it myself but I had a very long day and just did not want to deal with it. So now I have a new battery. also I asked the guy about the warranty and he said that this new battery is covered by the same warranty. If it goes bad and I bring it in they will test it and exchange it for me once again. This is all valid for as long as the the warranty does not expire. the warranty is valid for 4 years since the time of purchase purchase. that means I still have about two years of warranty left. Needless to say I am happy with my purchase. though of course I would have been happier if I picked up the battery when it has the special of 25% off. Pep boys sometimes runs this special on the batteries for 25% off. Actually I believe that the batteries right now are on special for 25% off.

Back