Can you remove passenger seat with out getting error codes?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Hello

Thinking on removing the passenger seat. Can I do this without getting error codes? Also, do I have to do any reprograming when I re install it? Do I have to unplug any cables like heated seats? How Will the passenger air bag behave? Will it need reprograming?

In addition to the heated seat wiring, there is an airbag module in the side of the seat and four weight sensors in the frame that determine the weigh of the passenger occupant. You can disconnect all of these connectors and remove the front seat, but you'll then be faced with a constant SRS (air bag) warning on the dash.

While it is possible to fake these sensors to keep the SRS system happy, it's not trivial. Why do you want to remove the front seat?

Hey

I just wanted to get more cargo space. I would guess that with that error sport mode won't be available? Will the error codes clear once you reinstall the chair or do you need a special device to clear them?

I believe that the only errors will be the SRS/airbag system, I doubt sport mode would be affected.

If you remove then later reinstall the seat, you'll likely need to clear the fault codes with the Techstream software (via dealer, or knockoff software/cable from Amazon or eBay).

Someone mention blue tooth units and free smart phone apps to clear error codes are you familiar with these? The knock off tech stream cables and CDs seem expensive while the blue tooth units were said to be under 10$ do you know any?

I got my Techstream software and interface cable on eBay for about $25; search "Techstream mini vci". Someone also posted a link to an Amazon seller on the Rav4 EV Facebook group, if you search there.

It looks like I am the only poster who has actually removed the passenger seat.

Yes you can remove it without any warnings or issues. Ive done it multiple times. No issues.

Wow? So you are telling me you can remove the passenger seat with out any error codes coming up? Sweet if so. Now I still need to get my hands on something cheap just to clear a check ev system error code from my 12v battery. Do you know of anything that costs$10or less? It seems eBay is cheaper than Amazon

jimbo69ny said:

Yes you can remove it without any warnings or issues. Ive done it multiple times. No issues.

Can you describe what you do step-by-step please, Jim?

ScottyMac said:
jimbo69ny said:

Can you describe what you do step-by-step please, Jim?

There are 4 bolts. You remove them and lift out the seat. I think there were a couple harnesses. Unclip then and pull the seat out carefully. The tracks will scratch panels and doors if you aren’t careful.

Back