motor replacement cost $15k

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evgeek

I have 2012 model, started hearing some high pitch noise from motor at low speed. I took it to dealer, dealer confirmed the motor gone bad. they also confirmed it with toyota factory inspector. dealer said it is going to cost $15k to fix the motor. $11k for the tesla motor and $4k for labor. this seems really high. It has 55k miles on it, regular factory warranty expired. but i have toyota extended warranty for that car. dealer said that extended warranty is going to cover that cost. after this repair, dealer says that extended warranty won't cover any future repairs. because they are spending $15k on this and car is worth around $15k.

Wondering if anyone went thru similar situation?

evgeek said:
I have 2012 model, started hearing some high pitch noise from motor at low speed. I took it to dealer, dealer confirmed the motor gone bad. they also confirmed it with toyota factory inspector. dealer said it is going to cost $15k to fix the motor. $11k for the tesla motor and $4k for labor. this seems really high. It has 55k miles on it, regular factory warranty expired. but i have toyota extended warranty for that car. dealer said that extended warranty is going to cover that cost. after this repair, dealer says that extended warranty won't cover any future repairs. because they are spending $15k on this and car is worth around $15k.

Wondering if anyone went thru similar situation?
This is exactly why I had mine changed just before the 5yr/60k mile Powertrain warranty expired.

Your other option is to ship the car to Quick Charge Power and have Tony replace the bearings. If that's the only problem, then you're only out $3k and you still have your Platinum Warranty to cover other stuff.

So the motor whine is just a bearing in the motor that's going? How hard would it be to replace if you have a few willing mechanic buddies? I'm past warranty, and my motor's getting pretty loud now.

TonyWilliams said:
We can repair or replace the motor.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/SERVICE-Toyota-RAV4-EV-2012-2014-NEW-MOTOR-BEARING-RAV4MOTORBEARINGSREPAIR.htm

Can you do this work as a field appointment in California, or do you need to have the car in your San Diego shop?

tgreene said:
TonyWilliams said:
We can repair or replace the motor.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/SERVICE-Toyota-RAV4-EV-2012-2014-NEW-MOTOR-BEARING-RAV4MOTORBEARINGSREPAIR.htm

Can you do this work as a field appointment in California, or do you need to have the car in your San Diego shop?

It needs to be at our shop in San Diego.

Tony Williams
Quick Charge Power LLC
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
[email protected]
www.QuickChargePower.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

Right, so if I were closer to San Diego I'd hit you up for sure. Since I'm not. How difficult is it to repair the whine? Is it just a couple bearings that need replacing? Does it require specialized tooling? Are the bearings easy to find replacements for? Or is there something more to the whine than the bearings?

JesseInReno said:
Right, so if I were closer to San Diego I'd hit you up for sure. Since I'm not. How difficult is it to repair the whine? Is it just a couple bearings that need replacing? Does it require specialized tooling? Are the bearings easy to find replacements for? Or is there something more to the whine than the bearings?

Honestly, every motor is different. I couldn’t tell you until I both heard it, and took it apart.

I just got my 2014 back from a motor/battery replacement. A few questions for those more knowledgeable than I:

1. Is there any way to know if my replacement motor is the newer "rev 1" variant?

2. My car seems to accelerate much slower now. If I press the pedal hard, it still accelerates well - but it seems like the pedal is programmed to be much more tame. Anyone else experience this? Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong? It has been 7 weeks since I drove it.

3. Does anyone know of or recommend a 3rd party warranty for these vehicles? I unwisely declined to get the Toyota Platinum extended warranty when my lease expired in 2017. Now that I've had $20k-$40k worth of warranty work done on it, and it is no longer in warranty - I'd like to purchase one. Toyota said they wouldn't warranty it - even in their Used Car Warranty program.

As a side note, my car is MUCH more quiet than it was before - my motor bearings must have been pretty worn out. Regarding the battery: I have not performed a "Tony Test" on the car, but it fully charged (not extended) to 108 miles of range. That's not as good as when the car was new (125), but it's slightly better than the 5 year old battery that was in it before had (98).

teaguecl said:
I just got my 2014 back from a motor/battery replacement. A few questions for those more knowledgeable than I:

1. Is there any way to know if my replacement motor is the newer "rev 1" variant?

2. My car seems to accelerate much slower now. If I press the pedal hard, it still accelerates well - but it seems like the pedal is programmed to be much more tame. Anyone else experience this? Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong? It has been 7 weeks since I drove it.

3. Does anyone know of or recommend a 3rd party warranty for these vehicles? I unwisely declined to get the Toyota Platinum extended warranty when my lease expired in 2017. Now that I've had $20k-$40k worth of warranty work done on it, and it is no longer in warranty - I'd like to purchase one. Toyota said they wouldn't warranty it - even in their Used Car Warranty program.

As a side note, my car is MUCH more quiet than it was before - my motor bearings must have been pretty worn out. Regarding the battery: I have not performed a "Tony Test" on the car, but it fully charged (not extended) to 108 miles of range. That's not as good as when the car was new (125), but it's slightly better than the 5 year old battery that was in it before had (98).

In my opinion:

1 - they used a rebuilt drive unit and it will be the latest revision applicable.

2 - was it fully charged when you tried this? When the SOC drops, so does acceleration.

3 - I think you're out of luck unless CarMax or similar will sell a warranty for a car they did not sell. It is possible with an inspection but it seems unlikely. Please let us know if you find something, where and how much.

My wife's 2013 is humming like a jet engine at idle. I tried Tony's link and didn't get anywhere. I had called QC over the holiday but haven't received a reply/return phone call yet. Even shipping from east coast to west coast is going to be better than buying a new EV, especially since we need only six months service from it before she retires.

thanks for the suggestion. I figured the holiday was a factor.

I'm not sure how optimistic I should be, but I happened across a local mechanic working from a storage unit. He's not done EV-anything but seems to have his wits about him, as well as a Toyota certified technician as a regular visiting friend. When I mentioned Tesla power train, he conceded that would involve another friend with the Tesla gear. All this positivity!

The last time I talked to QC Charge on the subject, about a year ago, they said they had a large backlog, and that rebuilding a unit that showed water behind the speed sensor was on the order of $5K.

It's worth five thousand simoleans plus shipping both ways if we can get another six months from the vehicle. Even if the local wrench can only get the motor out to be shipped west, rather than a transport, we'd save. At the end of this six months, the car is worth at least that five grand more on the market. The local VW dealer has a sales fellow interested in buying but I hadn't known about the leaky seals and could not in good conscience sell him a defective auto, if it would even still run after six months.

Fred-

It's your money, but do you really want to dump $5k+ into a car, only to get rid of it in 6 months? You definitely won't recover the cost of the motor repairs; I would guess a fresh motor is worth no more than $2k extra to a buyer.

Do you specifically need a RAV4 EV for 6 more months, or would any EV do? If the later, might I suggest buying a nice used Leaf or equivalent? Buy from a dealer and get the $4k used EV credit, and potentially you could resell the car in 6 months at even a slight profit.

If the motor continues to run in the current state for another six months, what value would one put on the vehicle when placed for sale? We've tested a Leaf when they appeared on the market and are difficult to enter and egress in our advanced years. Also, so darn small inside, even when compared to the legacy Rav4EV, which prevented us from buying one back in time.

Back