Suggestion for next EV commuter?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtManz

We currently use a Rav4EV as our main commuter. Next month we'll be needing a second commuter which will mean wife gets the RAV4 and I need a new commuter.
I'm sold on EVs and I think the best choice for us is an >200 miles EV SUV that we can hitch a bike rack to... which probably points to a Y. (WA state, Konas are not even an option)

So until that's available I'm thinking of getting a used car to bridge the gap.
Unfortunately there are no RAV4EVs around to buy so I'm thinking somewhere between a 2016 e-Golf (no 2017 available!) an i3 or maybe a b-class.

Does anybody have any experience or recommendations for any of those?

I'm now familiar with all the quirks of the RAV4, I'm wondering if those cars have a similar learning curve.
Does anybody know of the equivalent of the Tony checklist for any of those cars?

VW has recently cranked up the lease deals on new 2019 e-Golf cars. However, I don't know if they're available in WA. You probably can't lease one in CA and move it to WA unless you have a valid address to use in CA for initial registration.

I was looking at I3s a few months ago, with an eye to purchasing a second commuter EV. Pretty much all the ones available in the Seattle area had the scooter engine (REX) and two-gallon fuel tank, which I'd just as soon not have, but from all accounts it does work.

The price/value wasn't too bad, but I still ended up thinking I'd probably just have another RAV4EV shipped up from California; they're just that much better.

Since I had a reservation anyway, we went with a Model 3 instead. I wasn't willing to spend that much, but the SO was [shrug].

miimura said:
VW has recently cranked up the lease deals on new 2019 e-Golf cars. However, I don't know if they're available in WA. You probably can't lease one in CA and move it to WA unless you have a valid address to use in CA for initial registration.

Good idea... I didn't think there were 2019s, but now that I looked there are. I wasn't thinking about a lease but this may be an interesting option... thanks!
They are also available here in WA and with the $7,500 credit they end up in the mid 20s. Still about 10K more than a used one but certainly something to look at.

https://i.imgur.com/KXOcTHf.jpg

My EV commuter with my bike on the back. Highly recommend. Can go as deep into the mountains as I want to with 0 range anxiety

Back