Engine nois. All RAV4 EVs have it?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric318

Hello all, I am in the market for a RAV4 EV.

I went to test drive one today and was surprised with a noticeable "RRRRRRR" noise coming from the front when accelerating, a bit like fan blades flapping a piece of cardboard.

I currently drive a Fiat 500e and have driven a Tesla S, none of which have such noises coming from the front.

Current owner told me that the noise is normal, all RAV EV have it. Could you confirm?

Thank you in advance.

Noise is common, but not normal. Many of us have had the drive unit replaced, most for noise, some for outright failure. Most replacements were covered under the original powertrain warranty, as these early Tesla drive units tended to exhibit noise well under the 60k miles warranty limit.

Not normal. I had my motor replaced twice under warranty for the noise. The third motor is finally holding up. I would not buy one that was making noise.

Thank you for this folks.

Apparently, the car is till under (extended) warranty, although.... it is fitted with a tow hitch and I wonder if this will not invalidate the warranty.
Any experience with this sort of situation?

Many of us have tow receivers; none have been been a source of contention in having the drive unit replaced under warrany.

If the vehicle you're considering remains covered under a Toyota warranty (not a third-party warranty), I would have no hesitation in purchasing it with a noisy DU. However, depending on where you're located, individual dealers can make replacement of a DU easy or hard. Early on, several dealers would refuse to work on the RAV4 EV citing special training needed. This occurred mainly in states other than California.

Be aware that you may have to live with the noise for weeks or months while a replacement DU is shipped to the dealer from Tesla. My wait was five-six weeks. Others have waited a lesser or greater time.

I would take the car in under warranty with the seller and verify the drive unit is covered.
Get this done before the transaction is complete.

Eric318 said:
... Apparently, the car is till under (extended) warranty ...
Also be aware that the extended warranty is only good for a certain dollar amount. Depending on how much they "bill" the repair for, it could use up a lot of the warranty coverage the car has left.

I'm selling one of my 2 Rav4 EV's. 57,000 miles. I just had it checked at Toyota of Berkeley and it's not making noise on the orginal motor. The one I'm selling has the $3,500 aftermarket Jdemo 440volt DC fast charge port and hood struts installed by quickchargepower. The heater and DC to DC converter was just replaced for $7,000 covered by the transferable extended warranty.

I've been driving the Rav4 EV for 5 years and the first year was a nightmare for me when I would try to charge at work and the charger i was using would fail or some idiot would unplug me to charge their car and I'd have to wait another 4 hours to charge before I could go home at the end of the day. Some people can stand it but I have no use for an EV that takes 5 to 8 hours to charge. I think ev's without a quick charge Port should be banned. They give EV's a bad reputation as being inconveinent and a huge compromise of time that you waste charging for 5 to 8 hours before you can drive another 100 miles. I 100% agree. My recommendation is to buy one with a Jdemo Chademo port or budget in drivingvto San Diego and have one installed for $3,500.

If you'd like to take a look at the one I'm selling, below is the link. I don't want to sell it, I wanted to give it to my dad but I'm getting a divorce so I have to sell.
It's a great car if the motor doesn't scream when you drive it and if you have the after market fast charger.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/770307765/overview/

"I'm selling one of my 2 Rav4 EV's. 57,000 miles."
Hi EV Drive, I am interested in buying your car. Can you please check the PM I sent you? - Michael

Back