2014 Toyota Rsv4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamatu

So my 2014 Rav4 EV has been vibrating/shaking when I put in reverse or apply some acceleration, once I get going the vibration/shaking goes away. It does not do this all the time. A couple of days ago the car would not shift into drive or reverse and tires locked! The car starts but will not move. I had it towed to Toyota dealership and I was told that I need to replace the Traction Motor Assembly. Cost of this would be $17,467!!!!! When I asked if the car is under warranty, I was told it has a 5 year or 60K warranty but only applies to the original owner! I am the second owner but why wouldn't the warranty stay with the car no matter how many owners? Anyone has suggestions or advice? Would be greatly appreciated. I feel the Toyota dealership might be trying to take advantage of me.

Lamatu said:
So my 2014 Rav4 EV has been vibrating/shaking when I put in reverse or apply some acceleration, once I get going the vibration/shaking goes away. It does not do this all the time. A couple of days ago the car would not shift into drive or reverse and tires locked! The car starts but will not move. I had it towed to Toyota dealership and I was told that I need to replace the Traction Motor Assembly. Cost of this would be $17,467!!!!! When I asked if the car is under warranty, I was told it has a 5 year or 60K warranty but only applies to the original owner! I am the second owner but why wouldn't the warranty stay with the car no matter how many owners? Anyone has suggestions or advice? Would be greatly appreciated. I feel the Toyota dealership might be trying to take advantage of me.
The Powertrain Warranty is valid to any owner but expires 5 years or 60,000 miles for the original sale. It sounds like the parking pawl has failed. Another owner recently had their drive unit replaced for this reason. Obviously nobody is going to pay the amount you gave above.

Which dealer did you take the car to?

Is the car still under warranty? 5 years is up for most of these cars. If it still under warranty, forget the clowns at walnut creek. You should take it to Toyota of Berkeley. They are the top rav4 ev repair shop in the bay.

Thanks for your replies. There was a recall on the traction motor assembly for the 2014 Rav4 EV and I was told they had replaced mine in 2016. I bought the car in 2017. Toyota told me the warranty on the motor they replaced was for 12 months! 5 year Warranty just expired in March!! However, I did open a case in September reporting the car vibrating/shaking. I called Toyota Headquarters, they told me they would reach out to Toyota Walnut Creek and get back to me by tomorrow. Fingers crossed they cover the costs! Would hate to dump this car. It's been a great car and only 5 years old. Can't believe this would happen.

I don't remember anything about a traction motor recall on the 2014 Rav4EV.

Does anyone else?

thanks
James

Here's the link where we saw the recall notice: https://insideevs.com/news/325785/toyota-recalls-all-rav4-evs-to-fix-faulty-tesla-component/

Also, when we called Toyota headquarters, they said there was a recall in 2015 on all RAV4 EV's. You should give Toyota a call.

In the involved Camry, Camry Hybrid, Highlander, Highlander Hybrid and RAV 4 vehicles, a circuit board for the electric power steering (EPS) may have been damaged during its manufacturing process.

Ah, that one... it's not really a recall for the motor itself.

There were only three safety recalls for our 2012-2014 EV's: rear seat belts, wiper arm corrosion, and motor firmware update.

You can check the status of your vehicle (ie any outstanding recalls) by entering your VIN at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

So I entered my vin into the nhtsa site but as you said no recalls. Person I spoke to at Toyota Headquarters told me there was a recall. This is what I found under my car's history on the Toyota site. Work was done in Jan, 2016 and warranty of 12 months only!! Obviously must be a common issue to break down again in 2019 soon after my 5 year warranty expired. Toyota says they are reviewing my case and should decide by Friday. I plan on fighting this if they don't cover 100%

F0I-REPROGRAM DRIVE INVERTER ECU - RAV4 EV ~|~SAFETY RECALL F0I - REMEDY NOTICE, 2012-2014 MODEL YEAR RAV4 ELECTRIC VEHICLE (EV), EV TRACTION MOTOR ASSEMBLY ~|~SOFTWARE UPDATE ~|~20168 #4049/ PERFORMED F0I. CHECKED CALIBRATION. NO CALIBRATION NEEDED. OP#BGG14A

This also came up:

In the involved RAV4 EV, components in the Electric Vehicle Traction Motor Assembly, which is part of the propulsion system, may cause the vehicle to shift to “neutral” due to a software issue. This condition will also trigger a “Check EV System” warning message on the instrument panel and turn on a malfunction indicator lamp. If the vehicle shifts to “neutral”, this will result in a complete loss of drive power, which can increase the risk of a crash.
Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a notification by first class mail. Toyota dealers will repair the electric vehicle traction motor assembly.

Lamatu said:
..., may cause the vehicle to shift to “neutral” due to a software issue.
"Due to a software issue" -- which means the repair is simply a software update.

That's what they did. If you look at the repair history you posted, you'll see |~SOFTWARE UPDATE ~| embedded in the codes

Regardless of what a Toyota dealer might tell you, your traction motor assembly is warranted for 5 years / 60,000 miles from new. It doesn’t matter how many owners there were (and any competent dealer would know that... the dealer is attempting to extract money out of YOU and from the warranty... “double-dipping”).

There are 3 recalls on the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV:

1) US GOVERNMENT - software update

2) Toyota - windshield wipers

3) Toyota - seat belts

I highly recommend that you purchase the 5 year / 60,000 mile Toyota Platinum used car warranty (assuming your car is less than 9 years old and less than 100,000 miles). If your car is over 100,000 miles, the. 3 year / 36,000 miles is available.

Still going back and forth with Toyota Headquarters USA. They have been insisting since the car's warranty just expired they are not responsible. I told them I will continue to fight this and hand over to a lawyer if Toyota does not cover 100%. Today I receive a phone call from the Toyota customer service agent I've been dealing with. He tells me his managers are reviewing my case and should decide by tomorrow and offer me a deal! To me this sounds a little fishy, probably I have a good case. If there is anyone else who has experienced the same issue with the traction motor please let me know. I'm curious as to what response they received from Toyota. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Honestly, it’s a bit difficult to follow as to EXACTLY what transpired. Let’s make a simple timeline (please correct any mistakes):

March 2014 - car purchased new by somebody (not you), 5 year / 60,000 mile power train warranty in effect

2016 - Drive motor assembly replaced, which includes a 1 year Toyota warranty

2017 - You bought the car

Sept 2018 - You took the car to a Toyota dealer complaining about “vibrating / shaking”. Could you post EXACTLY what you complained about (or post a link to a picture of the dealer paperwork).

1) HOW MANY MILES ON THE CAR AT THIS POINT???

2) DID IT SEEM LIKELY THAT YOU SHOULD PURCHASE THE TOYOTA PLATINUM USED CAR WARRANTY AT THIS POINT? DID YOU PURCHASE IT ?

April 2019 - a serious failure of car that is NOT vibrating / shaking (at least that’s what Toyota will say). You are one or two months outside the original power train warranty. You decided not to purchase the extended Platinum warranty, even though you knew there may have been a serious issue AND the powertrain warranty would expire (or you had no idea about warranties).

Unless the issue you complained about in September 2018 was exactly the same issue (and somehow I doubt it), you can get all the lawyers you want (and they will happily take your money), but it’s extremely unlikely that Toyota has to do anything.

Please post the VIN so that I can do a maintenance history report. Good luck with Toyota.

If you wish to “dump the car”, I am a buyer. We have replacement motors.

Finally today after almost 2 months of going back and forth with Toyota we finally get our car back with the brand new traction motor. Cost to us $660 after Toyota first quoted $17k then lowered it to $12k and also offered to buy the car back for $500!!!

Back