Finally, a Toyota RAV4 EV replacement... maybe?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geo

Interesting article I ran across. Relevant quote:

"Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) and Subaru Corporation (Subaru) disclosed today that they have agreed to jointly develop a platform dedicated to battery electric vehicles (BEVs) for midsize and large passenger vehicles and to jointly develop a C-segment-class BEV SUV model for sale under each company's own brand. By combining their respective strengths, such as the all-wheel-drive technologies that Subaru has cultivated over many years and the vehicle electrification technologies that Toyota is employing to bring together other companies that share its aspirations, the two companies intend to take up the challenge of creating attractive products with appeal that only BEVs can offer."
https://insideevs.com/news/353244/toyota-subaru-develop-bev-platform

Nice that they're finally doing something. I do suspect it will take a while. Not sure if I can wait that long to replace my current RAV4.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I suppose if you are going to come late to the party you need to make a good impression. This could be it. I hope we are talking a couple years at most.

Here's a little more info. Looks like a total of six BEVs before 2025.

One of the boldest announcement in the Toyota press conference is six all-new all-electric models, which the Japanese company intends to develop in the coming years using its e-TNGA platform.

Those models will be developed with partners or on its own.

The list includes:

Compact car (with Suzuki and Toyota's Daihatsu subsidiary)
Medium crossover
Medium sedan
Medium minivan
Medium SUV (with Subaru)
Large SUV
https://insideevs.com/news/353600/toyota-six-global-bevs

I guess that fuel cell thing really didn't work out, did it?

There are also rumors Toyota may have solid state batteries ready within a few years. Skeptical on that, but who knows.

Folks, this announcement by Toyota and Subaru has been hinted at for years.

Neither want to build EVs. Virtually all this production will be for China and other regulatory markets, like CARB states in the US and places like Norway.

Look at their own predictions out to 2050... EVs aren’t much of a “thing”.

TonyWilliams said:
Folks, this announcement by Toyota and Subaru has been hinted at for years.

Neither want to build EVs. Virtually all this production will be for China and other regulatory markets, like CARB states in the US and places like Norway.

Look at their own predictions out to 2050... EVs aren’t much of a “thing”.

Thankfully, I'm in a CARB state, and, besides, I only need one. A gen3 RAV4 EV or a BEV Crosstrek might just be that one.

I say the more EVs, the better. I'll never complain about manufacturers making more EVs, no matter where they are sold.

Back