Home charger recommendation

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

That is a NEMA 10-30, for pre-1996 electric clothes dryers.

I recommend our JESLA JR. It's not quite as low cost as you want, but it's very high quality. JESLA JR is based on the Tesla Mobile Connector GEN2, so It's perfect for the Tesla powered RAV4 EV.

There are lots of interchangeable plugs available. The unit comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug, but just click the box for comments, and tell us that you want the NEMA 10-30. We will exchange it for free.

https://www.shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-JR-is-THE-32-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLAJR.htm

10basetom said:
Thanks, Tony.

"JESLA JR™ is completely automatic; no knowlegde of electricity, volts, amps, etc required. Just Plug-N-Charge™" -- Does this mean I can connect one end to the dryer outlet (with 10-30 adapter) and the other end to the Rav4?

Also, will it be able to charge the Rav4 to 100% in about 8 hours?

Yes, and yes.

Hello Tony,

I am looking into getting the JESLA Jr but have a few questions.

I have a outdoor charger that was installed by the old owner of the house, kind of odd set up but it has 40 amps (2x20amps) going to a NEMA 5-20 receptacle. This is outdoor setup would be the primary charge location.

I also have a NEMA 10-30 receptacle in the garage with 30 amps going to it (1x30amp). This would be my back up charging location.

I would love to be able to use both charge locations with minimal adapters and minimal money spent.

What set up should i purchase with the JESLA Jr? Do i need to get both adapters? Would i be fine with just one? Do i need to swap out the NEMA 5-20 receptacle to a more appropriate size? Should i switch it to a NEMA 10-30? I notice on the website , it says the charger max is 32 amps. Will it not work with my 2x20 amps?

Sure appreciate your guidance.

A 20a double breaker would be a 240v 20a circuit not a 40a circuit. Each half of the double breaker feeds one of the two hots on a 240v outlet, you don't add them up. It also make no sense for a double breaker to be feeding a 5-20, which is a 120v outlet. Unless something has been done really wrong, I think you'll find that either each half of the double breaker is feeding a separate 5-20 outlet, or that you're looking at a 6-20 outlet and misidentifying it.

Feel free to post some pictures, if you need help identifying what you have.

486px-NEMA_simplified_pins.svg.png

For a 20a outlet (120v or 240v) you could use the Go Cable.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/Go-Cable-Tri-Voltage-120-208-240-Portable-Charging-GC20.htm

You could also use the Jesla Jr. with the right adapters.

The Jesla would do 16a outside, and 24a on the 10-30. The Go Cable would do 16a in both locations.

davewill said:
A 20a double breaker would be a 240v 20a circuit not a 40a circuit. Each half of the double breaker feeds one of the two hots on a 240v outlet, you don't add them up. It also make no sense for a double breaker to be feeding a 5-20, which is a 120v outlet. Unless something has been done really wrong, I think you'll find that either each half of the double breaker is feeding a separate 5-20 outlet, or that you're looking at a 6-20 outlet and misidentifying it.

Feel free to post some pictures, if you need help identifying what you have.

12946_607px-nema_simplified_pins_svg.png

For a 20a outlet (120v or 240v) you could use the Go Cable.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/Go-Cable-Tri-Voltage-120-208-240-Portable-Charging-GC20.htm

You could also use the Jesla Jr. with the right adapters.

The Jesla would do 16a outside, and 24a on the 10-30. The Go Cable would do 16a in both locations.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, yes you are correct, i made a mistake and it is a NEMA 6-20. So on the breaker panel, i have 2x20 amp fuses that are connected together for the outside outlet. Is there any way to find how many amps its putting out? Or does it not even matter?

Do you think i should slap on a new receptacle (10-30) on the outside one and just use one plug?

I am thinking of going with the Jr just because it looks like it has more flexibility and future proof a little bit with the added amps it can handle.

What do you think?

It is very important that the outlet and the breaker match to maintain safe operation. Your existing installation is correct. You have a 20A outlet and a 20A breaker. DO NOT put a 10-30 outlet on that circuit. Building code requires that continuous loads only draw 80% of the breaker rating. EV charging is always considered a continuous load. So, any EVSE that is properly plugged into that NEMA 6-20 outlet will allow 16A car charging. A setup like this will add about 10 miles of range to a RAV4 EV per hour of charging.

Don't do something silly like make a homemade adapter that allows you to plug in a EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug into that 6-20 outlet. These adapters are sold, but should never be used with a car like the RAV4 EV because the car does not allow you to manually turn down the current the car draws from the EVSE. This kind of adapter is made for Tesla owners because Tesla provides that level of control in their cars and Tesla didn't natively support all NEMA outlets.

miimura said:
It is very important that the outlet and the breaker match to maintain safe operation. Your existing installation is correct. You have a 20A outlet and a 20A breaker. DO NOT put a 10-30 outlet on that circuit. Building code requires that continuous loads only draw 80% of the breaker rating. EV charging is always considered a continuous load. So, any EVSE that is properly plugged into that NEMA 6-20 outlet will allow 16A car charging. A setup like this will add about 10 miles of range to a RAV4 EV per hour of charging.

Don't do something silly like make a homemade adapter that allows you to plug in a EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug into that 6-20 outlet. These adapters are sold, but should never be used with a car like the RAV4 EV because the car does not allow you to manually turn down the current the car draws from the EVSE. This kind of adapter is made for Tesla owners because Tesla provides that level of control in their cars and Tesla didn't natively support all NEMA outlets.

Hi Miimura,

So then, with your recommendation, I should only use the one outside NEMA 6-20 outlet and not get an adapter with the JR that it has offered so i can use both outlets (6-20 and 14-50)? Thanks for your input.

Creamies said:
miimura said:

Hi Miimura,

So then, with your recommendation, I should only use the one outside NEMA 6-20 outlet and not get an adapter with the JR that it has offered so i can use both outlets (6-20 and 14-50)? Thanks for your input.
I recommend the Jesla JR. You can use the existing NEMA 6-20 outlet with the Jesla JR. You just have to get the official Tesla NEMA 6-20 input cord (adapter). That will automatically signal the proper 16A charging current to the car. You can also use the Jesla JR with 14-50 outlets at 32A at other locations. I have the original Jesla that allows 40A charging from 14-50 outlets. We used it as the primary charging solution for our VW e-Golf when we had it. Now it's just the travel charging solution for the RAV4 EV.

Tesla store link for the Gen2 adapters that work with Jesla JR.
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adapters.html

Creamies said:
davewill said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, yes you are correct, i made a mistake and it is a NEMA 6-20. So on the breaker panel, i have 2x20 amp fuses that are connected together for the outside outlet. Is there any way to find how many amps its putting out? Or does it not even matter?

Do you think i should slap on a new receptacle (10-30) on the outside one and just use one plug?

I am thinking of going with the Jr just because it looks like it has more flexibility and future proof a little bit with the added amps it can handle.

What do you think?

The 6-20 with the 2x20a breaker is good for 20a (16a charging). All 240v circuits will have a double breaker. You can't "slap a 10-30" on that 20a circuit. Get the appropriate adapter for each location. A 6-20 adapter for the outside, a 10-30 adapter for the inside, and a 14-50 adapter for destinations.

As far as which you get, it's a cost-benefit thing. Obviously the Jesla Jr is more flexible and capable of 32a. They're both about equally portable. If you expect to use faster than 16a charging very much (and it sounds like you do) and it's worth double the price to you, then by all means get the Jesla.

Normally, I would give an extra nod to the Jesla since it's made by Tesla and not just a Chinese no name device, but since QCP has modified the Jesla, you have to rely on them for any warranty issues either way.

Back