Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:30 am 

so, i have two simple questions about the 12v battery (which i replaced recently). what does it do and how does it get recharged?
tx,
ferenc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:58 pm 

ferenc wrote:
so, i have two simple questions about the 12v battery (which i replaced recently). what does it do and how does it get recharged?
tx,
ferenc

It provides 12v power for all of the systems in the car...computers, headlights, navigation, seat heaters, etc... It is charged by a DC to DC converter that operates when the traction battery is active. This happens when the car is "Ready" and during charging, I believe. Only a few things run directly off the traction battery: The electric motor, the heating element for the cabin heater, and maybe the AC.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 pm 

davewill wrote:
ferenc wrote:
tx,
ferenc

It provides 12v power for all of the systems in the car...computers, headlights, navigation, seat heaters, etc... It is charged by a DC to DC converter that operates when the traction battery is active. This happens when the car is "Ready" and during charging, I believe. Only a few things run directly off the traction battery: The electric motor, the heating element for the cabin heater, and maybe the AC.

There are separate HVDC PTC heaters for the cabin and the battery pack. The A/C compressor also runs on high voltage as well as the electric power steering.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:12 am 

Thanks, so theoretically, one _could_ use the EV for limited current emergency off-grid power, through a 12v inverter ...
I wonder what the rated charging current and voltage to the 12V battery are, or if one would have to charge the battery, disconnect/turn off the car and then hook it up to the inverter?
Ferenc, who had initially hoped to do so directly with the large battery pack ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:36 pm 

ferenc wrote:
Thanks, so theoretically, one _could_ use the EV for limited current emergency off-grid power, through a 12v inverter ...
I wonder what the rated charging current and voltage to the 12V battery are, or if one would have to charge the battery, disconnect/turn off the car and then hook it up to the inverter?
Ferenc, who had initially hoped to do so directly with the large battery pack ...

It is pretty easy to get 1,000W out from the 12V system. Just make sure the car is on and READY so that the DC-DC will maintain the 12V from the traction battery. Also, don't use an AGM battery if you will leave the car parked for extended periods in READY like this. They will overheat and vent toxic fumes. I have a disconnect on my AGM and I connect a LiFePO4 12V in parallel.

This is my RAV4 EV set up for 12V power export. The green knob on the negative terminal disconnects the Bosch battery.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:35 pm 

miimura wrote:
ferenc wrote:

It is pretty easy to get 1,000W out from the 12V system. Just make sure the car is on and READY so that the DC-DC will maintain the 12V from the traction battery. Also, don't use an AGM battery if you will leave the car parked for extended periods in READY like this. They will overheat and vent toxic fumes. I have a disconnect on my AGM and I connect a LiFePO4 12V in parallel.

This is my RAV4 EV set up for 12V power export. The green knob on the negative terminal disconnects the Bosch battery.

This looks great! I did so, rather ad hoc during our recent power outage, loading the system up to 850W. I don't understand what the green knob is connected to - some sort of high current switch? Is your system turn-key or custom? I love the monitoring meter, as well as the quality of the workmanship. I resorted to using large clamps onto terminals, but would prefer to have a setup similar to yours,
Ferenc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:01 pm 

ferenc wrote:
This looks great! I did so, rather ad hoc during our recent power outage, loading the system up to 850W. I don't understand what the green knob is connected to - some sort of high current switch? Is your system turn-key or custom? I love the monitoring meter, as well as the quality of the workmanship. I resorted to using large clamps onto terminals, but would prefer to have a setup similar to yours,
Ferenc

The green knob is a disconnect. It allows you to easily reboot the car. In my case, I also cannot leave the car in READY for extended periods of time because the Bosch AGM battery overheats. I have a LiFePO4 battery that I temporarily connect when I want to leave it on for long periods. Just opening that green knob takes the Bosch battery out of the circuit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:12 pm 

so the green knob comes with the setup, or is the setup custom made?
is it a high current switch or something mechanical/home made?

i'd be interested in buying/making something similar - how did you accomplish your setup?
thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:18 pm 

ferenc wrote:
so the green knob comes with the setup, or is the setup custom made?
is it a high current switch or something mechanical/home made?

i'd be interested in buying/making something similar - how did you accomplish your setup?
thanks.

The green knob thingy is a standard automotive battery disconnect accessory. You can find it at most auto parts stores. I bought this one: Harbor Freight - Battery Disconnect Switch

The rest of the non-OEM stuff you can see in the picture is either part of the JdeMO installation, or added by me for the 12V power export. Here's the parts list for the power export:

Amazon - 100 amp breaker
Amazon - 100 amp DC current shunt meter
Amazon - Anderson type 2-4ga 175 Amp Connector
Amazon - 4 gauge wire and crimp lugs
Amazon - 4 Position waterproof connectors

Lastly, I designed and 3D printed the bracket to hold the shunt and the breaker. It uses existing M6 threaded holes in the engine compartment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:13 pm 

You can use a simple M8 wing nut. Every JdeMO™ installation includes this. We would be happy to send you one with a flat washer.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/12-Vo ... ONNECT.htm

The Bosch AGM battery has been a disappointment over the years. Yes, you want a Group 24F or bigger battery, and you want the largest amp hour rating (not cranking amps... we don’t need that). It also should be a deep cycle type battery. AGM would be a plus.

But, the Bosch batteries fail too often, and overheat too much.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next