Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm
Posts: 1844
Location: Los Altos, CA
Costco also has Interstate 24F with 700 CCA and Rc=130 for $90. I found it by putting a 2012 RAV4 V6 in the battery finder.

On the Interstate battery site, this appears to be M-24FHC since it has the same CCA and Rc ratings. The standard M-24F has 27% less capacity at a Rc=95 minute rating.
The M-27 and M-27F only have Rc=135, so the capacity difference should be minor and the 24F is a drop-in fit as we know.

Either of these seem like a good choice for the RAV4 EV. I personally don't think the Group 27 is a good choice for a typical owner that values an easy installation.

_________________
2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm
Posts: 314
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
miimura wrote:
Costco also has Interstate 24F with 700 CCA and Rc=130 for $90. I found it by putting a 2012 RAV4 V6 in the battery finder.

On the Interstate battery site, this appears to be M-24FHC since it has the same CCA and Rc ratings. The standard M-24F has 27% less capacity at a Rc=95 minute rating.
The M-27 and M-27F only have Rc=135, so the capacity difference should be minor and the 24F is a drop-in fit as we know.

Either of these seem like a good choice for the RAV4 EV. I personally don't think the Group 27 is a good choice for a typical owner that values an easy installation.

You don't think that with mounting the 27DC battery turned 180 degrees (with the posts towards the front of the vehicle) that the cables would reach?

I stuck a 2008 Tacoma in the Costco search, and got the following 24F battery @ $93.99, but it's still not deep cycle: https://costco.interstatebatteries.com/ ... Country=US

YOUR BATTERY INFORMATION

Item Number: 1131901
Group Size: 27F
Cold Cranking Amps: 710
Cranking Amps: 890
Voltage: 12
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp: 165


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm
Posts: 1844
Location: Los Altos, CA
davewill wrote:
You don't think that with mounting the 27DC battery turned 180 degrees (with the posts towards the front of the vehicle) that the cables would reach?

I stuck a 2008 Tacoma in the Costco search, and got the following 24F battery @ $93.99, but it's still not deep cycle: https://costco.interstatebatteries.com/ ... Country=US

YOUR BATTERY INFORMATION

Item Number: 1131901
Group Size: 27F
Cold Cranking Amps: 710
Cranking Amps: 890
Voltage: 12
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp: 165

It's entirely possible that the cables will reach the front of the battery if you flip it around so that the terminals are on the correct side of the vehicle. I was actually more concerned that the Group 27 battery is 1 1/8 inches longer than the Group 24. I did not look at the battery tray on the RAV4 EV to see how it could be accommodated, but assumed that something would have to be modified. To me, any modification is a big ask for a normal owner. If no modification is necessary, then sure, go for the bigger one. Rc=165 is a significant increase in capacity.

_________________
2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 4115
Location: San Diego
I think I’m going to buy the larger Group 27 battery and see what needs to be modified.

Yes, the Group 24F Interstate battery will just drop in; no modifications required.

_________________
Tony Williams
QC Charge
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:09 pm
Posts: 28
TonyWilliams wrote:
I have a new “favorite” 12 volt battery for RAV4 EV:

COSTCO # 850952
$87.99

Built by Interstate
Model 27-DC

...

hmm - I checked for it and could it be the costco #850982?
I plan to try a new 'pure' sine wave converter tomorrow: giandel 1200W, and like the idea of removing the fuse. I bought the HF battery anti-theft contraption, but had difficulty in mounting it.

Presumably the steps would be:
open hood
hook up powered-off inverter (ground and + side on the charger side)
start ev
turn on inverter
pull fuse

suggestions welcome,
ferenc

_________________
2014 Pearl "IcarUS", ClipperCreek HCS-60 - powered by SW285Mono/Enphase M250


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm
Posts: 314
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Well, my Costco Group 35 Interstate battery pooped out yesterday. It may not have been the battery's fault, as my wife didn't drive it for several days and also left it unplugged "since it was full". Anyway it was down to 7.4V. Pulled it on the spot, and took it over to Costco. It was on the last month of its 42 month free replacement warranty. I figured they would test it and that it would test OK (in which case I was going to replace it anyway), but apparently Costco doesn't bother testing batteries you bring back, they just replace them on your say so. So I got a brand new battery for free.

Probably why their batteries no longer have free replacement warranties, but more normal "limited" warranties.

I did get to do a Tony Test since the car was without a battery for a few hours. I got 128 miles for 87.7%. Not too bad for a nearly 6 YO car. It took it only 5 minutes to charge from a normal charge to an extended charge and the GOM didn't go up even one mile.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 4115
Location: San Diego
davewill wrote:
Well, my Costco Group 35 Interstate battery pooped out yesterday. It may not have been the battery's fault, as my wife didn't drive it for several days and also left it unplugged "since it was full". Anyway it was down to 7.4V. Pulled it on the spot, and took it over to Costco. It was on the last month of its 42 month free replacement warranty.


42 months on ANY battery in the RAV4 EV is truly "whistling in the cemetery". If you're on Facebook, check out our group at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToyotaR ... slaPowered

_________________
Tony Williams
QC Charge
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm
Posts: 314
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
TonyWilliams wrote:
42 months on ANY battery in the RAV4 EV is truly "whistling in the cemetery". If you're on Facebook, check out our group at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToyotaR ... slaPowered

Sorry, I don't do Facebook. The company is simply disgusting, I won't participate any more than I can help. So for SoCal how long is your upper limit? 36 months?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 pm
Posts: 631
Anyone run a lithium drop in replacement?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm
Posts: 209
Location: Duvall, Wash.
davewill wrote:
Sorry, I don't do Facebook. The company is simply disgusting, I won't participate any more than I can help. So for SoCal how long is your upper limit? 36 months?


+1
Not a member, don't think I ever will be. Don't miss it.

_________________
Regards,
Al Savage
2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
© Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group