Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice for use of platinum warranty (out of state)?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:28 pm 

Hi there,

Last week, our 2014 RAV4 EV (56k miles) stopped accepting a charge. I've tried both our JuiceBox Level 2 chargers as well as the Toyota OEM L1 charger, all with the same result. When I plug into the car, the two charging LEDs light up (one blinking), then I hear a series of clicking noises (as if a relay kept opening and closing) before the lights go out and things go quiet. All in all, the whole process lasts no more than a few seconds.

Based on the research I've done on this great forum, my guess is that the onboard charger is toast. Does that make sense? I should add that the car is running fine. Luckily, I discovered the problem with 75 miles of range remaining, hoping to top off for a longer trip.

I've scheduled an appointment with my local Toyota dealership (in Dallas). They've replace a DU for me in the past but that was still under the factory warranty. Now I'll be using the 100k/8yr platinum warranty. So I thought I'd ask if the many experts on this forum might have some advice. The service manager told me that they would charge me $258 for the diagnosis by a field-service tech (who won't be in until Wednesday of next week) until they determine that my problem is actually covered. I was under the impression that the platinum warranty should cover pretty much anything. Or did I get that wrong?

Now that I worry they may try to deny my claim, I'm wondering if I should replace my Bosch AGM battery with a Costco group 35 battery to bring the car back to stock. What do y'all think? Can they really deny coverage for something like this for an "upgraded" 12V battery? That's really the only way the car is non-stock at this point.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Post subject: Re: Advice for use of platinum warranty (out of state)?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:07 am 

I would pay the diagnostic fee and let them do what they can. If they pull some BS about the 12V battery, ask them how much it is to put in the Toyota battery. If it's more than $150, go get a new one from Interstate or Costco (made by Interstate).

There is very little chance that the Platinum policy will decline to cover it unless you did something in the Exclusions section of the agreement.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:52 am 

miimura wrote:
I would pay the diagnostic fee and let them do what they can. If they pull some BS about the 12V battery, ask them how much it is to put in the Toyota battery. If it's more than $150, go get a new one from Interstate or Costco (made by Interstate).

There is very little chance that the Platinum policy will decline to cover it unless you did something in the Exclusions section of the agreement.
I got grief from Carson Toyota that the Bosch battery was too large and the car could not keep it charged and that is the reason the 12v battery was going dead overnight. Just over $200 to pop in the miniature Toyota battery that was dead next morning. No sense in looking at the gateway computer that failed.

If they seem like morons (carson toyota), take it somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:43 pm 

Stupid Car Dealer Tricks™ are just part of life.

I would pay the money with the stipulation, IN WRITING, that the money will be refunded when the warranty work is complete.

Don’t waste money on any 12 volt battery, unless you need a new 12 volt battery.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time