Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Fixing E-Motors is all about changing out ball bearings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:03 pm 

hbrav wrote:
That said these RAV vehicles are very easy to fix, modify and maintain I'm not sure what the concern is with warranties and such, just go on Copart and get a wrecked model S and take out the drivetrain, now you have a spare...

Drivetrain failure is a big sticking point for me when considering purchasing a Rav EV.

Would there be a guide on what it takes to swap out drive train online somewhere? Is it a particular model S drivetrain that is a direct swap? No need to update anything in the software?

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:21 pm 

Ev_Bob wrote:
hbrav wrote:
That said these RAV vehicles are very easy to fix, modify and maintain I'm not sure what the concern is with warranties and such, just go on Copart and get a wrecked model S and take out the drivetrain, now you have a spare...

Drivetrain failure is a big sticking point for me when considering purchasing a Rav EV.

Would there be a guide on what it takes to swap out drive train online somewhere? Is it a particular model S drivetrain that is a direct swap? No need to update anything in the software?

thanks!

What drivetrain "failure" are you referring to? They don't fail... they just get noisy.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:07 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
Ev_Bob wrote:
hbrav wrote:

thanks!

What drivetrain "failure" are you referring to? They don't fail... they just get noisy.

The input shaft of the gearbox rotates at exactly the same speed as the rotor up to 16,000 rpm, but the usual bearings 6207 / C3 and 6208 / C3 are installed there so they die the fastest.
In addition to replacing bearings on the 6007 rotor with ceramic, we also install on the input shaft during repair
And on the input shaft ceramics: 6207-2RZTN9 / HC5C3WT + 6208-2RZTN9 / HC5C3WT.

the bearings that are mounted on the RAV4 EV and Tesla model S are SKF BB1-3793 they are also ceramic, and they come out not only due to the ingress of the G48 through a worn oil seal, but due to their overheating, in other words, the bearing lubrication loses its properties, which leads to premature wear. and indeed, on the RAV4 EV and Mercedes Benz electric engines they put the most ordinary bearings, then they fit in size and they didn’t bother. this is why we have these problems.