Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pictures from my onboard charger fuse replacement
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:51 am 

I know there were at least a couple people interested in a write up or guide for the onboard charger fuse replacement. I took a fair amount of pictures when I replaced the fuses in my charger, so here you go!

First off, this is what my car was doing when I plugged it in...
https://youtu.be/5Msfjg-_8l0

Basically you can see and hear the known good charge cable attempt to charge the car four times and then it stops.

Now, if you're good at working on cars and you have a fairly complete set of tools... you might be able to pull this off. Have you ever replaced a timing belt and water pump on an ICE car? This is kind of like that job, only with high voltage (HV) components involved. There's very little room for error here. I had 3 large egg cartons worth of nuts and bolts by the time I reached the fuses. Egg cartons are a fantastic way to keep all the nuts and bolts organized in the order that they were removed.

Alright, step one, remove the black cover at the front that is held in by the world's most counter-intuitive clips.

Push down on the center part. Don't worry, it wont fall down behind the panel and be gone forever.

To reset these clips you have to pull out on the legs a little and push it back up through the center hole until a little nub is sticking up through the top of the clip.

Remove the 12V battery:

After removing the 12v battery, remove the HV service disconnect plug under the front passenger seat. I didn't get any pictures of this.

Also remove the black cover for the DC-DC converter / cabin coolant heater and you will see this:

Get your coolant hose pliers in place to stop the flow of coolant and something to catch the spilling coolant in

I left my coolant heater attached on the right side coolant hose and used bungie cords to hold it in place. Be careful to not kink the hose if you can help it.

Alright, moving on to the removal of the DC-DC. More coolant hoses to deal with. You can see here I'm using a small pair of "toothless" vice grips to prevent coolant from spilling everywhere. As long as you can get the end of the hose above the level of coolant inside the reservoir you'll be OK. But if you can't do that... hose pinch pliers are your friends. I should mention here that you will want to go out and buy replacement coolant. It's nearly impossible to not contaminate the coolant that comes out with dust and dirt. Dirt in the coolant pumps is not good.

Whew, alright, I'm tired and going to bed for the night. I'll post more tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Pictures from my onboard charger fuse replacement
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:41 pm 

Your pictures aren't showing up. Stuff posted from googleusercontent usually doesn't work. I use IMGBB to host images to embed in forums.

Like this: {img}https://i.ibb.co/9GrMZZK/RAV4-EV-Shoreline-Stock-Photo.jpg{/img} but with square braces.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:24 am 

Ah, OK, thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to put them on my Imgur account and try again.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:08 pm 

You can edit posts here for a fairly long while, so you may be able to "fix" your first post by pasting your Imgur links in place of the malfunctioning ones.

This site is phpBB based. Since 2006 I've hosted a phpBB-based forum myself, and until fairly recently it didn't have file hosting functionality built-in. When I upgraded a couple of years back (a major PITA, due to customisations over the years), my site gained the ability for users to upload images, and that made things so much easier (for them, not for me, as I have to remove images every so often).

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:50 pm 

Tech26 wrote:
I know there were at least a couple people interested in a write up or guide for the onboard charger fuse replacement. I took a fair amount of pictures when I replaced the fuses in my charger, so here you go!
Thanks for description.
I add these photo
and again video (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1196&p=29151#p29151)
https://youtu.be/jMHu2x7RC_I

This is another Reason for the lack of HV Battery Charging