Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: New California Corridor Fast Chargers Installed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:39 am 

geo wrote:
Looks like the ChargePoint in King City along 101 finally went live. Marked as open in both PlugShare and the ChargePoint app.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/220175

This closes a big gap along 101 between the Bay Area and Southern California.

I saw this last night and didn't get around to posting it. You beat me to it.
It's very nice that these are two of the newer 62.5kW ChargePoint units. This is a very important location.

On a related note, there are Electrify America chargers and Tesla Superchargers planned for the same shopping center in Greenfield about 12.6 miles north of this King City location.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:17 am 

geo wrote:
Looks like the ChargePoint in King City along 101 finally went live.

Yeah! Now I can drive Hwy 198, my favorite in that area . . . except, I now have no reason to drive that way, the last of my family in SoCal passed away in '17, and I just sold their house in So. Pas. a year ago next week.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:59 am 

Just a warning about some of these ChargePoint Corridor DC Fast chargers - some locations have started charging Peak hour pricing. The customary charge of $0.25/kWh + $0.10/min is bumped up to $0.50/kWh + $0.10/min Monday - Friday 4pm-9pm. The original pricing applies at all other times.

I checked the main corridor sites on I-5 and only the sites below have the Peak pricing:
Frazier Park (Lebec, CA)
Sloan Canyon (Castaic, CA)
Hilton (Valencia, CA)

In addition, I noticed the Peak pricing on I-15 at the Victorville, Barstow, Yermo and Baker sites. The Barstow factory outlet site and the Victorville Chevron site are operated by different entities and they don't follow the Peak pricing.

Checking more, like the I-10 corridor, Kohl's Beaumont, Kohl's Palm Desert, and Blythe Denny's all follow the Peak pricing while Chiriaco Summit does not.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:07 am 

More new site openings, but the first one is kind of a duplicate. It's the CEC funded ChargePoint DC Corridor site in Tracy. EVgo has had a site at the same mall for many years and EA recently opened a site down the road at the Walmart.

Plugshare - Target - Tracy, CA - Two 50kW DCFC plus a dual head L2 station.

The second ChargePoint site in Auburn is also open now. This one is a little further off I-80 than the first one.
Plugshare - Target - Auburn, CA - Two 50kW DCFC plus a dual head L2 station.

Also the ChargePoint Truckee site is open. The final site is different than the original CEC application.
Plugshare - Truckee Railyard Public Parking - Truckee, CA - Two 62.5kW DCFC plus 3 dual head L2 stations.

Also Strawberry Lodge
Plugshare - Strawberry Lodge - Kyburz, CA - One 50kW DCFC and one dual head L2 station.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:06 am 

A unique station was installed in Lodi just off CA-99 at E. Kettleman Lane. This is a dual standard charger that can charge CHAdeMO and CCS simultaneously. It has an integrated battery pack and a relatively small grid connection. It is described in this InsideEVs story. The maximum CCS power is stated to be 160kW. They don't specify the maximum CHAdeMO power, even on the data sheet. I suspect it's no more than 200A (80kW) because the pictures show the new style Sumitomo CHAdeMO connector that typically has the 200A rating.

Plugshare - AmPm - Lodi, CA

https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:59 pm 

miimura wrote:
A unique station was installed in Lodi just off CA-99 at E. Kettleman Lane. This is a dual standard charger that can charge CHAdeMO and CCS simultaneously. It has an integrated battery pack and a relatively small grid connection. It is described in this InsideEVs story. The maximum CCS power is stated to be 160kW. They don't specify the maximum CHAdeMO power, even on the data sheet. I suspect it's no more than 200A (80kW) because the pictures show the new style Sumitomo CHAdeMO connector that typically has the 200A rating.

160kwh battery backup and 120kW CCS charging. But still, that speed is very competitive.

I think stations like this might become popular in a lot of places. As we've seen, running high power lines can get very expensive and time-consuming. If they could install this using standard service, it would make it much easier.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:51 pm 

geo wrote:
miimura wrote:

160kwh battery backup and 120kW CCS charging. But still, that speed is very competitive.

I think stations like this might become popular in a lot of places. As we've seen, running high power lines can get very expensive and time-consuming. If they could install this using standard service, it would make it much easier.

It can be installed with a 240V split phase 150A breaker or a 208V 3-phase 100A breaker. Those are very standard and could likely be added to almost any existing gas station / convenience store. Certainly, any grocery store could add that much load with no upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:36 pm 

Another new ChargePoint Corridor site is open. This one is just off CA-14 east of Santa Clarita at a shopping center anchored by Kohl's and Target stores.

Plugshare - The Plaza at Golden Valley - Canyon Country, CA - Two 50kW DCFC plus a dual head L2 station.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am 

geo wrote:
miimura wrote:

I'm gonna go have to try this one out. Thats just beyond the maximum 2-way range of my Rav4EV from my house in Volcano. (as in if i drive that far, i need to charge before going home).
what service is this charger on? (ie. what does one need to subscribe to?)

2013 Shoreline Blue Pearl Rav4 EV #1634
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor, ER, EAP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:12 pm 

n3ckf wrote:
miimura wrote:

I'm gonna go have to try this one out. Thats just beyond the maximum 2-way range of my Rav4EV from my house in Volcano. (as in if i drive that far, i need to charge before going home).
what service is this charger on? (ie. what does one need to subscribe to?)

It's on the EVconnect network. You can use their app to link your credit card or PayPal. The station also has a credit card reader. If you have an EVconnect RFID you can use that too. I don't think there is any way to definitively see their pricing in advance. PlugShare says it's $0.35/kWh. The app basically identifies the charger by QR code. Their app also has a map feature, but I haven't figured out how to get it to show any charging sites.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28