New California Corridor Fast Chargers Installed

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geo said:
Looks like the Chargepoint site in Yermo along I-15 has finally gone live. The units had been installed almost 16 months before they got power.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/180082

With the addition of a few more non-CEC sites along I-15, the trip to Las Vegas is downright easy.
It's about time.... The Barstow - Yermo area is suddenly well covered with 3 sites now online.

The Outlets at Barstow with 3 new 62.5kW ChargePoint stations
Barstow Walmart Supercenter with 8 Electrify America stations
Yermo Eddie World with 3 of the older 50kW ChargePoint stations

The stations at the outlets are also priced by a different entity than the CEC ChargePoint stations. The outlets are priced at a flat $0.25/kWh with no time based fee until 3 hours and 30 minutes have passed. The CEC sites charge an additional $0.10/min on top of the $0.25/kWh energy price.

Some more new CEC funded DC Corridor sites are now open in Southern and Central California.

Plugshare - Barstow Love's Travel Stop, Barstow, CA - Two 62.5kW Chargepoint DC stations plus a L2 station

Plugshare - Kohl's, Beaumont, CA - Two 50kW Chargepoint DC stations plus a L2 station

Plugshare - Target, Palmdale, CA - Two 50kW Chargepoint DC stations plus a L2 station

Plugshare - DC Corridor, Lemoore, CA - One 50kW Chargepoint DC station plus a L2 station. I found this one in the Chargepoint app and created the Plugshare listing.

Plugshare - Shandon Rest Area, Shandon, CA - One Chargepoint DC station. It is solar and battery powered and is likely limited to 30kW. It may also be out of energy at night. Check status in the Chargepoint app before counting on it. "No Status" probably means it's shut down due to empty batteries. Actually, now that I look at it, it doesn't appear at all in the Chargepoint app.

Plugshare - Love's Travel Stop, Madera, CA - Two 350kW EV Connect DC stations. This is a bit of a funny one. The whole travel stop is new and doesn't show up in Google maps satellite view or street view. The site address filed with the CEC is basically at the Ave 17 and Hwy 99 intersection and this address is in the middle of nowhere. So, I'm not sure how real this location is.

Plugshare - Denny's, Delano, CA - Two 50kW EV Connect DC stations plus a L2 station.

Plugshare - Love's Travel Stop, Tulare, CA - Two 350kW EV Connect DC stations plus a L2 station.

Towards the end of last year, I drove to Vegas and there was only L2 charging in Barstow/Yermo. Now it is flush with fast chargers. Really nice.

In fact, the whole I-15 corridor is looking good. Three sites in Baker, a couple more in Victorville. Vegas is easy now.

101 and 395 still need some more love. Hopefully, they'll be next.

geo said:
Towards the end of last year, I drove to Vegas and there was only L2 charging in Barstow/Yermo. Now it is flush with fast chargers. Really nice.

In fact, the whole I-15 corridor is looking good. Three sites in Baker, a couple more in Victorville. Vegas is easy now.

101 and 395 still need some more love. Hopefully, they'll be next.
For 101, the Bradley rest stop site will be getting grid connections so that they are more reliably powered.
For 395, CalTrans and Electrify America are planning sites there. Some of the EA sites are live already. We just have to be patient.

miimura said:
For 101, the Bradley rest stop site will be getting grid connections so that they are more reliably powered.
For 395, CalTrans and Electrify America are planning sites there. Some of the EA sites are live already. We just have to be patient.

Oh, I know. It's just that it took over a year to hook up the sites in Barstow and Yermo. Too darn long. The chargers just sat there, taunting us.

I went by the EA site at Coso Junction on 395 yesterday. Still waiting for power, and it has been a year since they broke ground at that site. I guess my impatience is showing, but once Coso goes live, it will open up 395 all the way from SoCal to Reno. That would be really nice.

More new CEC funded ChargePoint sites are online now.

Plugshare - DC Corridor Los Banos - Los Banos, CA - Two 50kW DCFC and an L2 station. If you were going from 101 to 99 via 152, this site would help you avoid detouring to Santa Nella.

Plugshare - Shell Chowchilla - Chowchilla, CA - One 50kW DCFC and one L2 station. This site is across the freeway from the existing EVgo site at SaveMart Chowchilla.

The ChargePoint 24kW CCS-only unit at the Pines Shopping Center has been upgraded to 50kW CHAdeMO + CCS. The Plugshare entry has not been updated to reflect this yet but it's active in the ChargePoint app.
Plugshare - Shell - Pollock Pines, CA

One more in the south too.
Plugshare - Denny's - Tehachapi, CA - Two 50kW DCFC and one L2 station. This site bridges the gap between Buttonwillow on I-5 and Barstow via CA-58. There is also an EA site in Mojave, but in a RAV4 you would have to stop in Bakersfield near CA-99 to make it to Mojave.

Looks like Coso Junction along 395 is finally going live. We stopped for snacks on the way up to Mammoth and there was an EA service guy there. Strange coincidence. He was literally doing the final hookup. We wound up having a half hour conversation about EVs.

Anyways, very happy this one is finally opening. It is the last link in the 395 corridor between LA and Tahoe.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/211189

miimura said:
Plugshare - Love's Travel Stop, Tulare, CA - Two 350kW EV Connect DC stations plus a L2 station.

I was looking at this station because it is the last station on CA-99 at the south end of a gap around Stockton, CA. There seems to be some conflicting indications about the charging fees at this location in Plugshare. So, I tried to find some authoritative information from EVconnect. Their web site does not have a station locator page that I could find. Their app did not show any stations on their map either. You have to sign up for an account to even see the map page in the app. So, I was unable to find the actual charging fees for their DC Fast chargers. That makes trip planning a bit of a pain.

Looks like the ChargePoint in King City along 101 finally went live. Marked as open in both PlugShare and the ChargePoint app.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/220175

This closes a big gap along 101 between the Bay Area and Southern California.

geo said:
Looks like the ChargePoint in King City along 101 finally went live. Marked as open in both PlugShare and the ChargePoint app.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/220175

This closes a big gap along 101 between the Bay Area and Southern California.
I saw this last night and didn't get around to posting it. You beat me to it.
It's very nice that these are two of the newer 62.5kW ChargePoint units. This is a very important location.

On a related note, there are Electrify America chargers and Tesla Superchargers planned for the same shopping center in Greenfield about 12.6 miles north of this King City location.

geo said:
Looks like the ChargePoint in King City along 101 finally went live.

Yeah! Now I can drive Hwy 198, my favorite in that area . . . except, I now have no reason to drive that way, the last of my family in SoCal passed away in '17, and I just sold their house in So. Pas. a year ago next week.

Just a warning about some of these ChargePoint Corridor DC Fast chargers - some locations have started charging Peak hour pricing. The customary charge of $0.25/kWh + $0.10/min is bumped up to $0.50/kWh + $0.10/min Monday - Friday 4pm-9pm. The original pricing applies at all other times.

I checked the main corridor sites on I-5 and only the sites below have the Peak pricing:
Frazier Park (Lebec, CA)
Sloan Canyon (Castaic, CA)
Hilton (Valencia, CA)

In addition, I noticed the Peak pricing on I-15 at the Victorville, Barstow, Yermo and Baker sites. The Barstow factory outlet site and the Victorville Chevron site are operated by different entities and they don't follow the Peak pricing.

Checking more, like the I-10 corridor, Kohl's Beaumont, Kohl's Palm Desert, and Blythe Denny's all follow the Peak pricing while Chiriaco Summit does not.

More new site openings, but the first one is kind of a duplicate. It's the CEC funded ChargePoint DC Corridor site in Tracy. EVgo has had a site at the same mall for many years and EA recently opened a site down the road at the Walmart.

Plugshare - Target - Tracy, CA - Two 50kW DCFC plus a dual head L2 station.

The second ChargePoint site in Auburn is also open now. This one is a little further off I-80 than the first one.
Plugshare - Target - Auburn, CA - Two 50kW DCFC plus a dual head L2 station.

Also the ChargePoint Truckee site is open. The final site is different than the original CEC application.
Plugshare - Truckee Railyard Public Parking - Truckee, CA - Two 62.5kW DCFC plus 3 dual head L2 stations.

Also Strawberry Lodge
Plugshare - Strawberry Lodge - Kyburz, CA - One 50kW DCFC and one dual head L2 station.

A unique station was installed in Lodi just off CA-99 at E. Kettleman Lane. This is a dual standard charger that can charge CHAdeMO and CCS simultaneously. It has an integrated battery pack and a relatively small grid connection. It is described in this InsideEVs story. The maximum CCS power is stated to be 160kW. They don't specify the maximum CHAdeMO power, even on the data sheet. I suspect it's no more than 200A (80kW) because the pictures show the new style Sumitomo CHAdeMO connector that typically has the 200A rating.

Plugshare - AmPm - Lodi, CA

https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger/

miimura said:
A unique station was installed in Lodi just off CA-99 at E. Kettleman Lane. This is a dual standard charger that can charge CHAdeMO and CCS simultaneously. It has an integrated battery pack and a relatively small grid connection. It is described in this InsideEVs story. The maximum CCS power is stated to be 160kW. They don't specify the maximum CHAdeMO power, even on the data sheet. I suspect it's no more than 200A (80kW) because the pictures show the new style Sumitomo CHAdeMO connector that typically has the 200A rating.

160kwh battery backup and 120kW CCS charging. But still, that speed is very competitive.

I think stations like this might become popular in a lot of places. As we've seen, running high power lines can get very expensive and time-consuming. If they could install this using standard service, it would make it much easier.

geo said:
miimura said:

160kwh battery backup and 120kW CCS charging. But still, that speed is very competitive.

I think stations like this might become popular in a lot of places. As we've seen, running high power lines can get very expensive and time-consuming. If they could install this using standard service, it would make it much easier.
It can be installed with a 240V split phase 150A breaker or a 208V 3-phase 100A breaker. Those are very standard and could likely be added to almost any existing gas station / convenience store. Certainly, any grocery store could add that much load with no upgrade.

geo said:
miimura said:

I'm gonna go have to try this one out. Thats just beyond the maximum 2-way range of my Rav4EV from my house in Volcano. (as in if i drive that far, i need to charge before going home).
what service is this charger on? (ie. what does one need to subscribe to?)

n3ckf said:
miimura said:

I'm gonna go have to try this one out. Thats just beyond the maximum 2-way range of my Rav4EV from my house in Volcano. (as in if i drive that far, i need to charge before going home).
what service is this charger on? (ie. what does one need to subscribe to?)
It's on the EVconnect network. You can use their app to link your credit card or PayPal. The station also has a credit card reader. If you have an EVconnect RFID you can use that too. I don't think there is any way to definitively see their pricing in advance. PlugShare says it's $0.35/kWh. The app basically identifies the charger by QR code. Their app also has a map feature, but I haven't figured out how to get it to show any charging sites.

Back