Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:26 pm 

asavage wrote:
Other than the issue with certain early Blink EVSE J1772 nozzles frying sockets, I don't recall anybody having an issue with the RAV4 EV's inlet connector . . . but lots & lots of us have had failed onboard chargers. That's why yours is an important data point, if replacing yours eliminates that error message in the long term.

I'll be sure to report back once I get my car back in working order. It's been almost a week and the car is still in the shop (they did mention the Tesla part will take time to arrive).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:54 am 

Hey guys, I finally got the car back today. As seen in attached pic, the part itself was $310; it was mostly the labor involved in taking the car apart to replace that part that made it total $850.

The first thing I did when I reached home was plug in my 240V charger to see if the problem was still there. At first I got a scare because it exhibited the exact same issue (charged for about 10s and turned off by system malfunction error). Next I tried turning the car on and off a couple times, disabled extended charge mode, unplugged charger from wall, plugged it in a minute later, then plugged the other end into the car again. This time it started charging like normal.

I've since disconnected it and will try once more tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:19 am 

Thanks for that invoice scan.

Looks like they claim that your 120v EVSE causes an "HV Warning Light to come on". Hmmmm. Good trick, that.

I find it somewhat difficult to connect a problem with the J1772 receptacle and associated wiring, with "Vehicle died while driving". Did that happen? I don't see that you mentioned that symptom upthread.

But, hey, if it works, then it's fixed. Good data point.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:51 am 

asavage wrote:
Thanks for that invoice scan.

Looks like they claim that your 120v EVSE causes an "HV Warning Light to come on". Hmmmm. Good trick, that.

I find it somewhat difficult to connect a problem with the J1772 receptacle and associated wiring, with "Vehicle died while driving". Did that happen? I don't see that you mentioned that symptom upthread.

But, hey, if it works, then it's fixed. Good data point.

Yeah not sure why they included that info. What happened was the first time I encountered the charging malfunction I thought it was simply because I forgot to plug the car in overnight since when I drove it later in the afternoon the range only showed ~55 miles (only in hindsight I realized that I did plug it in overnight but it never charged). On the way home the car ran out of power within 0.5 miles from home (fortunately I was able to park it in a residential area right when turtle icon appeared). I was able to walk home and had it towed the next morning. Somehow charging worked on a completely dead battery that day. However, the next time I tried to charge it I encountered the charging issue again and that's when I brought it to the dealership.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:48 pm 

10basetom, Thanks for the information.
Let's hope a car was completely fixed.

For reference.
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__RAV4 ... 0R013.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:55 pm 

alflash wrote:
10basetom, Thanks for the information.
Let's hope a car was completely fixed.

For reference.
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__RAV4 ... 0R013.html

Cool, thanks for the link! I plugged car in yesterday night and it was charging normally again, thank goodness. I hope it stays this way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:48 pm 

UPDATE: After driving the car down to 20mi range, I tried to plug it in this morning and faced the same issue as before. This leads me to think the charging assembly is at fault and I may have wasted almost $900 to replace a component that didn't need replacing because of a misdiagnosis by the technician. As a last ditch effort, I will order another charging cable. Will update progress here...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:20 pm 

1. Now you again have situation, if plug the charging cable in, the lights Blink like it's about to start charging, then after about 5s the lights (and charging) turn off with an error in the dashboard that says "charging turned off because of system error"? For example as shown in https://youtu.be/qGblXayXXL4?t=23

2. Have the Charger Assembly fuses been checked previously?

3. Take a look to Tech26's story with a happy ending viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1196&p=29147#p29147

4. Is it possible to get a refund for paying for unnecessary / useless work?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:32 am 

Unfortunately, tech26 didn't post the pictures for that fuse replacement where we can see them. I reached out to him via email a while back, hoping to get those pics, no dice.

My experience with electronics fuses is that they very rarely blow for no reason:(

The RAV4 EV onboard chrger is fairly expensive when they come up for sale used (I think I saw one on eBay last week for $1500). I have it on good authority that the Model S Gen 1 onboard chrger can be substituted, but its firmware must be re-flashed to work with the RAV4 EV, and it's hard to do that "in the wild".

Model S Gen 1 chrgers are all over eBay at $300 and up.

The Model S Gen 2 chrgers are said to be more reliable, but are apparently not backward compatible with Gen 1, and now that there's an affordable aftermarket CAN interface that works with the Gen 2 chrgers, their used value is rising, as they can be used as an inexpensive high-quality chrger for solar banks, EV conversions, etc.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:47 am 

Thank very much for the information, guys. I'm not sure what my course of action is long-term, but Tustin Toyota has agreed to let me try to use their charger on Monday to see if it works. The first thing I requested when I had the car serviced was for them to test for blown fuses, and they assured me it's not the fuses. According to the technician the car wouldn't even charge at their charging station when I brought it in until they replaced the charging connector, so I'm curious whether it will charge again when I bring it in. If it doesn't charge, then I will try to see if I can get a refund; if it charges fine, then I will order a new charger to see if that fixes it.

What 240V charger do you guys recommend (up to 32A)?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next