Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Check EV System Message - My particular case/solution
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:33 pm 

dfergenson wrote:
Yes, the fourth pump is the cabin heater pump.

I think that the pumps fail more often than they do on ICE vehicles because, while an ICE vehicle runs its water pumps only when driving, an EV runs them when charging, too. Since charging is at fewer MPH than driving, they run them >> more.

As for not being familiar with the innards, neither (blissfully) was I until a few weeks ago. It was a learning experience born of necessity. The basic diagnostic service on this would have been $869 through the dealership. Then the cost of the part alone would have been >$500+tax. I think it could be done in one shop hour (~$100).
So >$1400 for a damned water pump.
-Davio
For that kind of money ($869), you are given documentary diagnostic results* (DTC, Live Data, Data List with the parameters of Tesla systems and of HV battery) in your hands or only Health Check Results using Toyota Techstream soft?

For example, Toyota Part No.:G9040-33020 Price is $259.12 in https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toy ... 33020.html

http://alflash.com.ua/phpBB2/download/file.php?id=3536

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:41 pm 

This is what Toyota of Palo Alto says about the service:

Quote:
A trained technician will analyze (diagnose) your concern. As a result of diagnosis, an estimate for repairs or additional diagnosis as required will be provided to you. Diagnosis fee does not include cost of parts and/or labor to complete repair. Please address any concerns directly with your service advisor upon arrival.
Disclaimer regarding price:
Waived if covered under factory or extended warranty. Dealership will determine eligibility.

As for the part, thanks. Yes, that would save me a few hundred dollars off of the Toyota of Walnut Creek price. I would still certainly like to know if the parts are truly identical or are merely interoperable.

-Davio

UPDATE: To be fair, on another tread a person with an EV charging malfunction much like mine reports that the diagnostics cost $160 at Tustin Toyota in Orange County, CA.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:28 pm 

dfergenson wrote:
This is what Toyota of Palo Alto says about the service:
Quote:
A trained technician will analyze (diagnose) your concern. As a result of diagnosis, an estimate for repairs or additional diagnosis as required will be provided to you. Diagnosis fee does not include cost of parts and/or labor to complete repair. Please address any concerns directly with your service advisor upon arrival.
Disclaimer regarding price: Waived if covered under factory or extended warranty. Dealership will determine eligibility.
As for the part, thanks. Yes, that would save me a few hundred dollars off of the Toyota of Walnut Creek price. I would still certainly like to know if the parts are truly identical or are merely interoperable.
-Davio
UPDATE: To be fair, on another tread a person with an EV charging malfunction much like mine reports that the diagnostics cost $160 at Tustin Toyota in Orange County, CA.
Note that I'm don't discuss the price of diagnostics (it depends on the hourly flat rate labor* of a particular service shop and on the "appetite" of its owner).
My question was what exactly can you get for that money.
Do I understand correctly their answer corresponds to a situation when a patient is tested to find the cause of the disease, but their results are a secret for the patient himself?

* For reference.

Last edited by alflash on Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:33 am 

I'm not sure what information the dealership provides as part of the diagnostic service.

But since they would want to provide service based on the diagnostics, I would assume that they've provide enough information at least to explain what they would do to repair the car and why. Perhaps they'd provide a report similar to the one that you posted.

-Davio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:52 am 

dfergenson wrote:
... But since they would want to provide service based on the diagnostics, I would assume that they've provide enough information at least to explain what they would do to repair the car and why. Perhaps they'd provide a report similar to the one that you posted.
-Davio
I would like to hope so.