Range Chart

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tony,
Are you going to move the range chart from a draft to some other release level? I have been able to verify quite a few of the points over the past three weeks and it looks like an excellent guide for us Noobs out here.

Thanks for the research.

boredcleaner said:
Hi Tony,
Are you going to move the range chart from a draft to some other release level? I have been able to verify quite a few of the points over the past three weeks and it looks like an excellent guide for us Noobs out here.

Thanks for the research.

I was hoping I'd have a Gidmeter to use on the Rav4 by now, but I don't. So, ya,mi need to move it out of "Draft" I guess.

ehelmholtz said:
Tony,
Any updates on the chart now that I've taken the car on BC2BC?

Oh, I'd say that I know the car pretty well now!! I did a lot of 150 mile legs, and the crème de la crème was my 151 mile uphill trip from Orland, California to Yreka, California, with a 3900 foot pass crested within 30 miles of the end.

I have my notes in the iPad (which is dead right now).

Is there a printable non-draft version of the chart? I'd like to keep a copy in my car. Thanks for all the work that went into this.

A gas vehicle traveling at 80mph would waste 30% more gas than if it was driving at 65mph. Heres a chart:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/images/speed_vs_mpg_2012_sm.jpg

So question is, whats the chart like for the Rav4 EV. The reason I ask is because I have been driving at 60 to 65mph and I find it very difficult going north on the 15 from San Diego. Everyones doing 75-80mph and thats what I am normally used to and what I prefer.

How many miles on a full charge can I get at 80mph vs 65mph?

There are some informative charts on the Tesla Motor Blog site here, which I have shown below for convenience.

graph1.jpg

This chart shows the total range vs. a fixed speed. The overall height of the curve is a function of battery size. The slope of the curve is a function of aerodynamic drag.

efficiencyvsspeed_0.jpg

This chart shows energy consumption vs. speed, which shows more clearly the parabolic shape of the aerodynamic drag. The interesting thing about this graph is that the the separation between the Roadster curve and the Model S curve is nearly constant from 45mph to 80mph. What this means to me is that the total drag force (proportional to V^2 * Cd * Frontal Area) is about the same between the two cars. The Model S has a lower Cd, but the Roadster has a smaller frontal area. Since the RAV has poorer aero, but less weight than the Model S, I would expect it to start between the blue and green curves, but then head higher and cross over the blue curve up towards about 417 Wh/mile at 80. This figure comes from Tony's range chart, which shows 100 miles an for Extended Charge at a constant 80mph. Tony's figure for 45mph (213Wh/mile) is also between the blue and green curves, so that seems to confirm my theory that the RAV's curve crosses over the Model S curve.

sbessel said:
TonyWilliams said:
Dsinned said:
It's included in the first post in this thread.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67

Ya, I think he means the new, non-draft version.... coming !!

yes, that was what I meant - I just thought I missed it, or it was posted elsewhere.

No worries or hurry - especially if it delays my new Jesla :cool:

Scott

Ya, definitely in mega-crunch time on JESLA(TM) production before I leave town for an extended period.

Rav4 EV Range Charts

100% Capacity

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1mybenqwoajun8/Rav4rangeChartV100.2.pdf?dl=0

90% Capacity

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bcv212xxsfd2vr/Rav4rangeChartV90.2.pdf?dl=0

80% Capacity

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddfjojy6d29q8zf/Rav4rangeChartV80.2.pdf?dl=0

70% Capacity

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20y8b9xhdyps3ht/Rav4rangeChartV70.2.pdf?dl=0

How to use the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV Range Chart:

Download and print the Range Chart:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bcv212xxsfd2vr/Rav4rangeChartV90.2.pdf?dl=0

On the car:

A. Reset Consumption meter:

1) Press mechanical "home" button below the center of the navigation screen.
2) Press "EV" softbutton
3) Then press "Energy Monitor"
4) Select "Past Record"
5) Press "Update"

B. Display Energy Consumption during Map display mode:

1) Press mechanical "home" button below the center of the navigation screen.
2) Select "MAP"
3) Select "Map Mode" in lower left corner of screen. If this is not available to select, press "On", then "Map Mode".
4) Select "Energy Monitor"
5) Press the "go-back symbol" in the upper right corner
6) Confirm that "Consumption" is at the top-right of the display. If it says "Past Record", change to "Consumption". At the bottom-right of the display, it will show the average consumption. This will read 0.0 miles/kWh if it was properly reset. If not, go back and repeat step A.

C. Then, reset the trip odometer (black mechanical button between speedometer and energy gauge):

1) Press and release until desired trip meter is displayed
2) Press and HOLD button until miles go to zero

After you have completed these steps, you are ready to plan your trip.

First, let's stipulate that the "GOM" / estimated range on the dash is not to be used. This seems to be the hardest thing to overcome for many people.

The controlling value for range are two values:

1) Average miles per kWh
2) Available stored kWh onboard

If you need to travel 120 miles, and the battery is fully charged, you'll start with about 37kWh with a typical somewhat degraded RAV4 EV battery, therefore:

120 plus a 15% buffer equals 138 miles range required.

138 / 37kWh = 3.7 miles per kWh required to complete the trip with a 15% reserve.

That's about 55-60mph, on cruise control, according to the chart, but it could be a higher or lower speed. There are MANY factors that affect range, and the ONLY thing that matters is the "Average Miles/kWh" from reset.

If you drive 40 miles or so into your trip, and you're no where near 3.7 miles per kWh for this planned trip, YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN!!! (Or find an alternate charging spot).

I recommend starting this trip with the cruise control on 60mph. If after 40-60 miles (just prior to the halfway point) the Average Miles/kWh are holding mostly steady at 3.4 miles/kWh for this example, the you MUST slow to 55mph.

If the Average Miles/kWh do not start climbing above 3.4 when you have reduced the speed by 5mph for the next 20 miles, you probably need to make sure that the heater is off, or start planning to find an alternate charging location. Slowing to 50mph on public freeways / high speed highways is probably dangerous.

Again, the GOM does not matter. If your battery is cold, it will consume more power to warm it up. If you run the cabin heater, you will consume more power. There may be a headwind. You may have a tire with low pressure. You may have a dog strapped on the roof. This is why the speed NOT a controlling factor in range... Average Miles/kWh is.

How will you know how much energy that your battery will hold? Do the "Tony-Test" to determine your approximate degradation:

Back