3rd Row Seats

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to three dealers. They claim it is illegal to add 3rd row seats to RAV4.

I asked him that RAV4 EV is same as RAV4 2012 and RAV4 2012 allows third row. He still claims it is illegal to add 3rd row. I don't trust him but just want to pass the info to other forum members.

ravisekhar said:
I spoke to three dealers. They claim it is illegal to add 3rd row seats to RAV4.

I asked him that RAV4 EV is same as RAV4 2012 and RAV4 2012 allows third row. He still claims it is illegal to add 3rd row. I don't trust him but just want to pass the info to other forum members.

Thanks for the heads up. I have gotten almost the same thing from the dealers I have talked to. I agree with you that I dont believe them either. My take is that I don't think it is illegal but more an issue that a dealership does not want to be liable if something went wrong. Not sure why they can cut a big hole in the body for a sunroof and not worry about liability but bolting a 3rd row seat to existing mounting points makes them so nervous, but oh well.

All the research I have done says that no third row is ever crash tested (even factory installed) and has no laws in any state regarding them. I'm honestly not sure if that make me feel better or worse about this idea.

ravisekhar said:

Dealers and "the law". Yep, I heard from the 7-11 convenience store clerk that it was ok, so I'm just going to go with the most trust worthy source.

Darren said:
Thanks. The main thing I am wondering at this point is that the factory Toyota 3rd row has several metal "loops" in the floor...
Those look like LATCH top tether attach points.

I'm very interested in the 3rd row as well. Just had to take the old gas guzzler minivan the other day because we took the mother-in-law along to dinner. There were only 5 of us, but there's not really any room in the middle between two carseats. By the way, has anyone figured out how the seatbelt for the rear middle passenger works? I saw that it has two male connectors, but could only find one female.

fooljoe said:
Darren said:
Thanks. The main thing I am wondering at this point is that the factory Toyota 3rd row has several metal "loops" in the floor...
Those look like LATCH top tether attach points.

I'm very interested in the 3rd row as well. Just had to take the old gas guzzler minivan the other day because we took the mother-in-law along to dinner. There were only 5 of us, but there's not really any room in the middle between two carseats. By the way, has anyone figured out how the seatbelt for the rear middle passenger works? I saw that it has two male connectors, but could only find one female.

Interesting observation. Now that I think about it, they are almost identical to LATCH points. I believe LATCH points are required by law to be welded to the frame of the vehicle. I wonder if that means these are as well.

Sorry I don't have any insights to share on the seatbelt.

Darren- any luck finding some seats?

My thoughts:
You need to see if there are connection points on the floor still. See the picture of 3rd row seats here to see what I mean.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/84513-3rd-row-child-car-seats.html
If those are still there then you should be able to just drop it into place. They are probably there under the carpet.

The added weight is negligible. The car weighs around 4000 pounds. You are talking about adding 100. No way are you going to be able to notice a difference in kw/mile.

The lilseats (or whatever) they are called could be a good option too. They will install front or back facing. Back facing they are the same setup as the 3rd row on the model s. Tesla crash tested the model s at 70 mph and the back facing seats were safe. The rear end of the vehicle does not crumple like the front (it's part of the passenger compartment). Rear facing seats would be different and maybe even fun for the kids. Only downside is it's easier for them to smack each other around three stooges style (I have three boys...everything in my house is stooge-like).

Mike

mikegerard said:
Darren- any luck finding some seats?

My thoughts:
You need to see if there are connection points on the floor still. See the picture of 3rd row seats here to see what I mean.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/84513-3rd-row-child-car-seats.html
If those are still there then you should be able to just drop it into place. They are probably there under the carpet.

The added weight is negligible. The car weighs around 4000 pounds. You are talking about adding 100. No way are you going to be able to notice a difference in kw/mile.

The lilseats (or whatever) they are called could be a good option too. They will install front or back facing. Back facing they are the same setup as the 3rd row on the model s. Tesla crash tested the model s at 70 mph and the back facing seats were safe. The rear end of the vehicle does not crumple like the front (it's part of the passenger compartment). Rear facing seats would be different and maybe even fun for the kids. Only downside is it's easier for them to smack each other around three stooges style (I have three boys...everything in my house is stooge-like).

Mike

I haven't figured out a way to determine what is under the carpet without pulling the whole trunk apart and pulling up the carpet.

I think you make a good point about another 100 pounds not make much difference.

Little Passenger Seats makes a seat for the RAV4 but it does not collapse or fold. It is also a 3-pt normal seatbelt and not a 5-pt version like the Tesla which helps prevent the "3 stooges effect" of them bouncing into each other.
http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/rav4.html#.UXtaAMu9KSM

I have 4 sons. The 4 musketeers? I thought about the third row seat but use a mini van instead. The EV definitely spurs thought in my sons.

FYI, I believe the RAV4 with the 3rd row seating option has different suspension part numbers (it has been a while since I was really involved with the figuring out all the tiny differences), so keep that in mind. I didn't see anyone mentioning this (if anyone did, I apologize), but then again, maybe the suspension was already beefed up for the added battery weight.

amped up said:
FYI, I believe the RAV4 with the 3rd row seating option has different suspension part numbers (it has been a while since I was really involved with the figuring out all the tiny differences), so keep that in mind. I didn't see anyone mentioning this (if anyone did, I apologize), but then again, maybe the suspension was already beefed up for the added battery weight.

Yes, the suspension is for the 600 pounds of added weight. So you have the third row in your 2007?

No, it's something I researched when I first got the car, but decided against doing so, as I would rather have the storage space vs how frequently I would use the 3rd row seating (since only really small kids could use those seats). I know there are tons of threads on the rav4 forums about doing this modification, but not sure if anyone has actually done it.

I would also appreciate an update on this.
By the way the comment about Model S being safe does not mean anything for the RAV4. The model S has two sets of bars in the back especially to protect the third row passengers. Elon's kids sit in the back so you can assume he's got this covered. As somebody mentioned, third row seats are currently not crash tested and the issue is the lack of buffer between the third row and the bumper. This has been raised as an issue http://bit.ly/1bPscwU. Note that this article specifically mentions the RAV4 (ICE) as a potential problem child. Probably no coincidence that the '13 RAV4 (ICE) does not come with the third row option any more. Anyways, structurally the car seems the same as an ICE version but you could argue that some elements are not there anymore to absorb energy (exhaust,...) which might further reduce the buffer. This might only have a small impact but if you build thousands of cars this could have an impact on (injury and mortality) statistics from an OEM perspective.

My personal concern would be double. 1. Can you really install the third row as on a factory third row ICE (bolted - if the latches are welded how on earth are you going to guarantee the same quality of weld?, are all part numbers the same of airbags,...). This seems to be quite a body of work before you can solidly say yes to this. 2. Insurance. Even if everything is the same and everything is installed up to factory spec, how does your insurance deal with this. The aftermarket 3rd row solution (littlepassangerseats) somebody else referred to makes me believe that at least somebody thinks that last problem can be solved. I wouldn't be worried about the extra weight either in terms for the suspension

sorry forgot to add one thing. Adding a tow bar might give some marginal additional safety, much like Chrysler did to try to mitigate a recall problem with rear end safety on the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee.

I talked to littleseats via email. They said they did not know specifically if the install would work for the EV but have done it on the ICE.

They also provided me with instructions for the install. They add a bar that goes bolts to the frame of the car.
06rav4c.jpg

You have to drill holes through the plate and connect 4 bolts under the car in the back.

I don't have the Rav4 right now so I can't see where those bolts would come out underneath but I think it's after the battery.

It's about $1000 for the version with headrests and shoulder belts. Probably not worth it for me since we were looking at it just to give the 3 boys some more space.

Mike

I think these should work without any problem and if you want extra safety, install the hitch. The problem is going to be finding the seats. If you build them from Toyota parts, they will be around $2000. I have sent inquiries to online junk yards, but have not heard back.

I think you can find parts on http://www.car-part.com/
It has a selection for 3rd row seats in the rav4 section, search for all model years of that generation

I used http://feed43.com/ to create an RSS feed for that site before

Back