Rearview Camera like the 2013 Rav4

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khaihon

I was toying with the idea of putting an overlay on the screen with backup guide lines, but it would be far from practical. Over time, I have gotten used to just backing up the regular way so the camera is pretty useless, but for close quarters, it would help with vehicle value preservation (in other words: help me to not crash).

I wonder if Toyota would be willing to add the guides via a firmware update.

Image from the 2013 Toyota Rav4 website
rav4-technology-backup-camera.png

Toyota made the same cheap 'cost savings' mistake in the Prius Plug-in backup camera system, I don't get it. I only use it to check how close I am to a pole, but don't use it for guidance etc. I guess it's so they can say it comes with a system, but it sure isn't anything to brag about. Sad to hear that the RAV4 EV doesn't have the lines like most cars do.

Seems like in some cars, the guidelines have nothing to do with the system that it is plugged into... not sure about the latest ones with steering sensors that have dynamically adjusting lines... those probably have more advanced processing units to redraw the line overlays on the images.

I doubt Toyota would issue a firmware update to add in the guidelines, but you never know. There's a ton of aftermarket cameras that hook into cars on eBay, specifically for the Rav4, but not sure about the Rav4ev. The guidelines are apparently fed by the camera itself through the video cable so if this method works, then a swap of the OEM camera with an aftermarket one may work. i think i'll pick one up and see if it will fit.

amped up said:
Toyota made the same cheap 'cost savings' mistake in the Prius Plug-in backup camera system, I don't get it. I only use it to check how close I am to a pole, but don't use it for guidance etc. I guess it's so they can say it comes with a system, but it sure isn't anything to brag about. Sad to hear that the RAV4 EV doesn't have the lines like most cars do.
I'm not sure about "most cars".

Maybe I'm just used to Toyotas. My 06 Prius' backup camera has no lines (06 was the 1st model year it was offered). I won a week test drove of a Lexus HS 250h long ago and had a 07 or 08 Camry Hybrid as loaner for a 1.5 days. Both had backup cameras, IIRC but neither had lines. And yes, they're all Toyotas.

It could be worse... my father-in-law has a 2010 Rav4 Limited gas burner and the backup camera is in the rear view mirror... about 2 inches across. The current nav screen backup camera is light years ahead of the 2010 model.

AvLegends said:
It could be worse... my father-in-law has a 2010 Rav4 Limited gas burner and the backup camera is in the rear view mirror... about 2 inches across. The current nav screen backup camera is light years ahead of the 2010 model.
Well, for some vehicles, that's better than nothing.

On US 2010+ Priuses, one has to pay for nav just to get a backup camera. This wasn't true on the 06-09 Priuses. On 2010-2011 Priuses, you didn't even get a color LCD unless you got nav. I hear that Canadian 2010-2011 Priuses could choose a backup camera w/screen in the mirror w/o paying for nav.

cwerdna said:
amped up said:
I'm not sure about "most cars".

Maybe I'm just used to Toyotas. My 06 Prius' backup camera has no lines (06 was the 1st model year it was offered). I won a week test drove of a Lexus HS 250h long ago and had a 07 or 08 Camry Hybrid as loaner for a 1.5 days. Both had backup cameras, IIRC but neither had lines. And yes, they're all Toyotas.
Maybe it's a licensing/patent issue, both the Nissan and Honda I test drove recently had the lines, adjusting to the speed and steering angle, but none of the Toyotas offered this option. Very odd for sure. You would think a $50,000 vehicle would offer this option.

^^^
Beats me. No demand for it? Easier to implement w/o it?

Side note: Intelligent Park Assist (auto self-parking) that was optional on 2010-2011 Priuses (but removed from 2012+ Priuses as a choice) and available on some Lexuses has some lines, but of a different type.

Demo video at http://priuschat.com/threads/video-i-give-you-a-rundown-of-all-the-cool-things-the-intelligent-park-assist-can-do.80507/.

2011 Sienna has backup cam but no lines.

Used it tonight while parallel parking (only do that about 6x per year). Without the lines it does not have much value. The angle is so wide that I end up looking back anyway (you can be 3 inches away and it still looks like you have tons of room).

Lines would be nice for backing down the driveway but I would still have no sense of depth.

Mike

The manual shows the angle of the camera view.

I'm sure everyone already knows that your bumper corners are in the blind spot.

I'm hopeful that the connector is a simple RCA and that a cheap aftermarket one (with guides) can be installed.

It sounds like that Rav4 SAP (Sport Appearance Package) ICE model has a similar rear camera placement as the EVs without the spare. The ones selling online do not get particularly good marks on the fitting.

mikegerard said:

Used it tonight while parallel parking (only do that about 6x per year). Without the lines it does not have much value. The angle is so wide that I end up looking back anyway (you can be 3 inches away and it still looks like you have tons of room).

Lines would be nice for backing down the driveway but I would still have no sense of depth.

Mike

Your Sienna does not have the Nav option? My 2011 with Nav option has the guide lines and turning guide lines too.

My Focus Electric has lines that respond to the steering wheel and show that path you will take while turning, plus it has the sonic distance measurement that warns as you approach objects and indicates on the screen the object it is detecting. Why oh why didn't Toyota provide such things in a larger, harder to maneuver car that costs far more?

michael said:
Why oh why didn't Toyota provide such things in a larger, harder to maneuver car that costs far more?
Because they are providing you with a free car with the purchase of a Tesla drivetrain and battery? ;)

michael said:
My Focus Electric has lines that respond to the steering wheel and show that path you will take while turning, plus it has the sonic distance measurement that warns as you approach objects and indicates on the screen the object it is detecting. Why oh why didn't Toyota provide such things in a larger, harder to maneuver car that costs far more?
I actually find the RAV4 easier to maneuver than the Focus Electric. The RAV4 has better visibility and a tighter turning radius, which I think makes up for the size well. One of my only complaints about the Focus is it's relatively lousy turning radius, but otherwise it is a much more luxurious car than the RAV4.

SUVs traditionally are much more utilitarian despite their price tags. A base model Chevy Tahoe starts at $45k and has less equipment than a $23k Chevy Cruze. Only recently with the popularity of lux-utes and crossovers has that changed. The 4th generation RAV4 has gone this crossover-type route, whereas previous RAV4s stay closer to SUV roots. The most obvious example of this being the change in configuration from the back door to a hatchback. Also, in Japan, Toyota does not sell the new 4th generation RAV4, they still sell the 3rd generation because Japanese generally buy minivans for purposes we would be SUVs for.

dipper said:
mikegerard said:

Used it tonight while parallel parking (only do that about 6x per year). Without the lines it does not have much value. The angle is so wide that I end up looking back anyway (you can be 3 inches away and it still looks like you have tons of room). Volume Pills | Hersolution Gel | Male Extra | SizeGenetics | Vigrx Plus

Mike

Your Sienna does not have the Nav option? My 2011 with Nav option has the guide lines and turning guide lines too.

Its the generating time which you judge with those options that last the things

Back