Trailer Hitch Installation

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great Pics & U gave info on the hitch but what about the wiring harness?
Which did you use on your install?

Many thanks

Tony did you do any research on hitch installs voiding the warranty on the RAV4? The wording seems to be open to interpretation.

Thanks in advance Frederick Daenitz

Daenfa said:
Tony did you do any research on hitch installs voiding the warranty on the RAV4? The wording seems to be open to interpretation.

No, I didn't, because trailer hitches can't possibly void a warranty (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson_Act).

Towing a trailer might void your warranty, if it could be proven that doing so is the cause of a failure in the car that would ordinarily be covered by warranty. Obviously, that could be the case if towing were "recommended" by the vehicle manufacturer, or not.

Towing is not prohibited by Toyota, nor would they be able to prohibit you from doing so. It is not recommended, since Toyota did zero testing for things that are pertinent to towing. The Rav4 oil burner is rated for 3500 pounds of towing, and the trailer hitch receiver does bolt into the exact same four pre-threaded holes on both the EV and oil burner Rav4.

Daenfa said:

I am thinking of installing a hitch for a bike rack and can't imagine that voiding any warranty.

I bought the same hitch as Tony from amazon for $126.89. My bike rack is a Kuat with with built in cable lock and repair stand. The cargo door can open with the bikes off and the bikes stand tilted in the down position. I love both hitch and rack.
The hitch is a Reese Towpower 51157 Pro Series Class III Hitch with 2" Round Tube Receiver

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tony Williams thanks for the tip I ordered my hitch.
On another note... Were you out at Balboa park on Earth Day showing your EV?

I just installed the CURT hitch, you don't need to remove the rear bumper at all. Just get a screwdriver to remove the tape from the holes, get a jack to help you guide the hitch onto the holes and it should take you less than 30 minutes to install.

cossie1600 said:
I just installed the CURT hitch, you don't need to remove the rear bumper at all. Just get a screwdriver to remove the tape from the holes, get a jack to help you guide the hitch onto the holes and it should take you less than 30 minutes to install.

You don't have o remove the bumper for any of the hitches. The wiring is easier with the bumper off.

If you're looking for an alternative to the Amazon ordered hitch installation, you might check out a neat company in Costa Mesa, CA called Hitch Crafters, that specializes in hitch installations. I had them install a hitch onto my Rav4EV this past Friday, and they did an excellent job. They custom build each hitch they install, weld it to the frame, and provide a lifetime warranty. Since it's a custom build, they're able to tuck things out of the way. On my car, they fit the bar that has the receiver attached up into the body work, so the only additional aero drag is the receiver itself. The whole process took about an hour for them to do and the final cost with tax was about $250.

If you want more info on the company, check out them out on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/hitch-crafters-costa-mesa or at their website http://www.hitchcrafters.com.

Here's my car during the install:
i-ZR3PTfJ-M.jpg

And here's the final product:
i-HrjDwDd-M.jpg

i-mRJjxP9-M.jpg

Disclosure: I'm not in any affiliated with Hitch Crafters, other than as a satisfied customer.

I'm planning on a hitch, but you said "THEY WELD IT TO THE FRAME"?? :shock:

I'm assuming you bought outright? I like the idea of a direct bolt-on unit but that looks very clean!

Very nice, thank-you Joyride. I'm thinking of doing the hitch installation too, and this place is just across town!

Joyride said:
If you're looking for an alternative to the Amazon ordered hitch installation, you might check out a neat company in Costa Mesa, CA called Hitch Crafters, that specializes in hitch installations. I had them install a hitch onto my Rav4EV this past Friday, and they did an excellent job. They custom build each hitch they install, weld it to the frame, and provide a lifetime warranty. Since it's a custom build, they're able to tuck things out of the way. On my car, they fit the bar that has the receiver attached up into the body work, so the only additional aero drag is the receiver itself. The whole process took about an hour for them to do and the final cost with tax was about $250.

If you want more info on the company, check out them out on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/hitch-crafters-costa-mesa or at their website http://www.hitchcrafters.com.

Disclosure: I'm not in any affiliated with Hitch Crafters, other than as a satisfied customer.

I ordered this hitch: http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/2006-2012-Toyota-Rav-4-Spare-Tire-Underneath-the-Vehicle-1-25-ECO-Series-Stealth-Hidden-Trailer-Hitch-p2142.htm

Chose this mainly because it is more hidden then other brands out there. Installation took 15 minutes. Holes line up and there are only 4 bolts to attach. The only tricky part is detaching the two plastic strips from the bumper. They seem rather flimsy and feels like it can rip off with not much effort, so with two people you can carefully maneuver the hitch into place.

Still have to figure out how to attach pictures when I do I'll update the post.

cossie1600 said:

Cossie, Do you happen to have the model number I found this Curt class 2 trailer hitch on ebay but the seller says in their listing that it will not fit the EV version. I have no idea why other than maybe he is trying to cover this ass.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Curt-Class-2-Trailer-Hitch-12108-for-Toyota-Rav4-/121090515104?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ARAV4&hash=item1c318ea0a0&vxp=mtr

The model number of that one for sale is 12108.

I have a Curt on my PIP and I have been very happy with it. I dont see the need to spend more on a class 3 when our cars cant tow that much anyway.

This one is only $118

jimbo69ny said:
...the seller says in their listing that it will not fit the EV version. I have no idea why other than maybe he is trying to cover this ass.

If you want to get frustrated fast with our unique car while buying accessories, start by telling them you have the EV version!!!

Just tell them you have a 2012 Rav4... period. It doesn't matter what year your Rav4 EV might be.

DO NOT SAY 2013 or 2014 model year... that is a different car in the accessory business.

2012 Rav4... keep it simple. If you're scrounging parts at junk yards / auto dismantlers, our car is a 2006-2012 Rav4.

mikegerard said:
pchilds said:

I have the one above sold by Amazon. Big overkill for my usage but it works fine and I installed it by myself in less than 10 minutes.

Mike

I think you'll find that's exactly the one that I used in the first post of this thread.

Tony

Back