My Complaint Rant

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waidy said:
Perhaps the 2013 model has couple of extra items that the 2012 doesn't have, OR at least they were not in my 2012 Ravs. According to http://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2013/rav4ev_ebrochure.pdf‎ Page 3 last line: "Tire repair system included". Then on Page 4 under Charging time, it has "16Amp 240" (not sure whether it implies 2013 mobile EVSE has 16Amp Capability). Would 2012 Rav4EVians please comment?

I don't think the 2013 cars are getting anything that we 2012 cars didn't get. You will find your tire repair system is behind the right side panel in the very rear of the car.
I think the reference to 16Amp 240 is about charging times for various Amp/Volt combos. I did get a 120 Volt 12 Amp charging cord which takes 44hrs to charge. I also installed a 240volt 30 Amp EVSE which takes 6.5 hours for a full charge.

Ampster said:
I don't think the 2013 cars are getting anything that we 2012 cars didn't get. You will find your tire repair system is behind the right side panel in the very rear of the car.
Thanks for the pointer. I thought those nice looking wrapped packages were first aid kit. Now I know they are the tire repair kit.

TonyWilliams said:
...Gas gauge that stops at 80% full??? .....

I wouldn't complain. my gas guzzler (2007 Prius) has the same sort of issue: ~100 miles of first pip and 400 over the next 9...

essaunders said:
TonyWilliams said:
...Gas gauge that stops at 80% full??? .....

I wouldn't complain. my gas guzzler (2007 Prius) has the same sort of issue: ~100 miles of first pip and 400 over the next 9...
I know the Prius issue that you're referring to. The 1st pip of gasoline can sometimes last for MANY miles.

I believe Tony's complaint is that there's no way to tell the difference between a standard and extended charge. Charging to "full" on both yields the same # of fuel bars. Since I don't have a Rav4 EV, I'm not sure if extended charge == 1st pip (and others?) lasting a lot long than in standard charge.

On regular charge the 1st bar will drop after about 7 miles of normal driving. On extended charge the bar will drop after about 25 miles.

rayray said:
On regular charge the 1st bar will drop after about 7 miles of normal driving. On extended charge the bar will drop after about 25 miles.
I think the fundamental problem is that, by not displaying the 100% scale confuses drivers on the State of Charge. For example, drivers (especially new EV owners) would interpret 8 bars as 50% SOC (or half a tank). In reality, it is 40%. when they see 4 bars, they think they have 25% but only 20%.

I certainly assumed that 6 bars was 50% when I took my first long trip on Monday. With my first week commuting I drove over 30 miles, possibly 40 before the first bar disappeared. I'm assuming this was on standard charge.

arnold

arnolddeleon said:
I certainly assumed that 6 bars was 50% when I took my first long trip on Monday

Here's what 50% looks like, with 10 of 16 fuel bar segments illuminated. Disregard what the GOM says:

52F3CCEE-2C99-4723-BC7A-59571D7D07CD-1979-000000BF1636F506.jpg

Ah, thanks. Hmm, I thought extended charge was not disabled after doing an extended charge before my long trip. Fiddled with the controls some tonight I think I understand it better and I think I have it disabled this time. More UI design fail.

arnold

Another vote for some sort of spare tire as standard issue with the Rav4 EV. After 4 months of driving and 4300 miles I had my first flat this morning. Looked like a piece of sheet metal and I wasn't confident pumping up the tire would allow me to drive the three miles to the dealer so I used the Safety Connect button. Got a tow to Hanlees Toyota. It was 2 hours from when I called to when I was back on the road. No charge of course. All in all, not bad but lucky I was close to a dealer and would prefer to have a small spare.

snoltor said:
I was surprised by the no spare tire norm when I first started researching EVs.

My '88 944S had a spare that was extra compact because it was stored without air in the tire. Obviously a pump was included. I've never looked to see if something similar is available in the aftermarket.

That would be perfect for us.

miimura said:
My '88 944S had a spare that was extra compact because it was stored without air in the tire. Obviously a pump was included. I've never looked to see if something similar is available in the aftermarket.

Back