200 Mile Club (321.9km) & 300km Club (186.4 mile)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AvLegends said:
Just did a standard re-charge and the GoM says 138 miles. Waidy is the Queen for efficient driving! We'll see where I go from here. ;)
That works out to 3.94mi/kWh, or if you had done an extended charge, 165 miles should have resulted on your GoM! Outstanding!!!

Didn't make it, next time no AC.
975180_10151643471248704_2026373070_n.jpg

Fixed picture.

Great job pushing the limits. Obviously, the AC Is holding you back some. I also wonder if summer in general won't hold us back, as the TMS will be running the whole time to cool the battery.

Of course, it will be far worse in winter with the battery heater going and more dense winter air.

70F is about right!!!

Speaking of AC, has any of you notice that IF the TMS was on while the Rav4EV was parked, the cabin AC turn on itself in auto mode after you power on the vehicle when you get in the car? I never use AC (only use AC when I have guest(s) in the car). Therefore, I know my AC is always off. However, some time when I get in the car, after I turn on the car the AC is ON auto-mode.

TonyWilliams said:
waidy said:
Speaking of AC, has any of you notice that IF the TMS was on while the Rav4EV was parked...
It doesn't work at all when the car is off, unlike Tesla cars.
It's strange that I feel I have a different Rav4 setting than some of you. Sometime when I walked up to my parked Rav (power was off), I can hear the liquid cooling system in work when it's very hot. The sound sounded a little louder than my Model S's liquid cooling system.

Hi Waidy,

how does the liquid cooling system sound? I do hear some noises after I turn off my car, but I am unsure what it is. Typically, I hear what sounds like a crank sound for 2 seconds... similar to when I'm braking the Rav4 in motion. Could this be the liquid cooling system sound? I thought it would be brake assist, but I shouldn't be hearing that when the car is off.

It's strange that I feel I have a different Rav4 setting than some of you. Sometime when I walked up to my parked Rav (power was off), I can hear the liquid cooling system in work when it's very hot. The sound sounded a little louder than my Model S's liquid cooling system.

Khaihon said:
Hi Waidy,how does the liquid cooling system sound?
It has a very low frequency of humming.
Khaihon said:
I do hear some noises after I turn off my car, but I am unsure what it is. Typically, I hear what sounds like a crank sound for 2 seconds... similar to when I'm braking the Rav4 in motion. Could this be the liquid cooling system sound? I thought it would be brake assist, but I shouldn't be hearing that when the car is off.
When I turn off my car, I also hear the crank sound but I do not believe it's from the liquid cooling system.

My impression is that the most obvious and frequent sound my car makes is the vacuum pump for the brake booster. It turns on every time you open the driver's door after it's been parked for a while. The longer the car has been off, the longer it has to pump to reach the needed pressure. While driving, it turns on again when you press the brake pedal.

The sounds that I think are coolant pumps are much quieter and smoother sounding. That sound starts as soon as the J-plug is inserted, whether actively charging or not.

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
151.6 miles, 4 miles/kWh, 3900 feet mountain pass at Mt Shasta, no turtle. Route: Orland, CA to Yreka, CA on 5 freeway:
Wow impressive!! 4 miles/kWh at 3900 feet climb. GO Go go Tony!

Well, it was necessity to get 4 miles/kWh to reach my destination. I knew that from the start, and I watched that meter a LOT!!!

4 miles/kWh * 41.8kWh = 167 miles range with a brand new battery, but mine has 16,000 miles. There's obviously a little degradation. I estimate 4-6%. This is far, far less than either of my two Nissan LEAF's had at the same mileage.

I had less than 5 -7 miles range autonomy remaining.

When I crested the mountain pass, I still had a lot of miles to go (like 27), but it was all downhill. Easy, except for the last few miles when I slowed way down and went on the right shoulder of the freeway to ensure success.

Clearly, I was never going that fast to achieve that economy (like 45mph drafting trucks) going fast uphill.

I just drove 121 miles on the next leg to Canyonville, OR. I'll make one more 100 mile leg tonight so that I can eat lunch in Portland tomorrow. Then, on to my brother's house 250 miles east. Thursday morning to Blaine, WA / Surrey, BC.

Then Saturday, I come home!!

That's great. What's the best miles / kwh you achieved in your Leaf(s)?

TonyWilliams said:
151.6 miles, 4 miles/kWh, 3900 feet mountain pass at Mt Shasta, no turtle. Route: Orland, CA to Yreka, CA on 5 freeway

Back in April, I made it to Bear Valley and back from my house in Angels Camp by way of Mokelumne Hill a total of 148 miles before turtle hit and that's with a roughly 6000 foot climb. Where does that put me in the most mileage from a single 100% charge?? :)

Back