Delayed Charging

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarjackpv

Does anyone know how to delay the charging of the RAV till after Midnight. I switched to Time of Use and get best rates after midnight. But I like to go to bed at 10 and don't want to stay up till midnight to plug in my car. Any advice?

There is no way to set a time to start charging unless you set up an external timer. You can set a departure time and the car is supposed to start charging automatically so it finishes by your departure time but at best it will start way earlier than it needs to and at worst it may not start at all. What EVSE do you have and how depleted is your battery when you normally charge?

This has been problematic for many that have tried before you. This problem is way, waaaay overdue for a resolution from Toyota. The charge timer controller in the RAV4 EV is apparently very, VERY buggy! Most likely the problem is with the software (i.e. firmware) that is used to "schedule" battery charging operations. This has caused various reoccurring problems for many here on this forum. The bottom line, Delayed Start Charging is extremely unreliable. I believe EVERY car has the same problem, and there is currently NO SOLUTION. Sadly, we all have been waiting patiently for Toyota to fix this problem for well over six months!

There are several related subject matter postings on this forum about the faulty charge timer issue, which you can read to gain a greater understanding of the problem. Unfortunately, there are more questions than answers, including several speculative theories about the root cause. It is completely ridiculous how long Toyota has been aware of this problem, or quite possibly in denial that such a problem even exists. Toyota has thus far issued to the dealer network one or more so-called RAV4 EV Battery Charger "updates" that have blatantly failed to resolve the problem. This has probably been the result of a massive finger pointing exercise between Toyota and Tesla.

Stay tuned . . .

Dsinned said:
This has been problematic for many that have tried before you. This problem is way, waaaay overdue for a resolution from Toyota. The charge timer controller in the RAV4 EV is apparently very, VERY buggy! Most likely the problem is with the software (i.e. firmware) that is used to "schedule" battery charging operations. This has caused various reoccurring problems for many here on this forum. The bottom line, Delayed Start Charging is extremely unreliable. I believe EVERY car has the same problem, and there is currently NO SOLUTION. Sadly, we all have been waiting patiently for Toyota to fix this problem for well over six months!

There are several related subject matter postings on this forum about the faulty charge timer issue, which you can read to gain a greater understanding of the problem. Unfortunately, there are more questions than answers, including several speculative theories about the root cause. It is completely ridiculous how long Toyota has been aware of this problem, or quite possibly in denial that such a problem even exists. Toyota has thus far issued to the dealer network one or more so-called RAV4 EV Battery Charger "updated" that have totally failed to resolve the problem. This has probably been the result of a massive finger pointing exercise between Toyota and Tesla.

Stay tuned . . .

That is not good news. I will have to tell my wife to wake up at midnight and start charging the car! :lol: :lol:

Here's how to do it: turn on the car, then press the menu button under the display, touch the EV icon, touch Charging & Pre-Climate Setup, and then the icon that has a battery, plug and arrow to get to the "My Departure Schedule" screen. For each day of the week, select 6:50AM (or earlier if you or another driver needs to leave earlier), click add, and then the back arrow.

When you plug in, the status lights above the plug will blink "back and forth" for a minute and then turn off. It will then come online automatically in the middle of the night and charge.

While we've only had our 2012 RAV4 EV for a month, we've used the charge timer every day with the above configuration. It hasn't missed a charge once, and it's started after midnight every time except one night when it started at 11:50pm. (The battery was on "Lo" and the car was manually set for a 6:10am departure for the next day, so it seemed to have a decent enough reason to start before midnight.)

I will be sure to report back to the group when a charge fails, since it seems that we've had substantially more success with the charge timer than anyone else around here, knock on wood.

I know this demonstrates I am guilty of not reading the manual thoroughly, but if I set up my charging schedule but then want to charge in the middle of the day, how do I do that? The reason I haven't set up the charging schedule as eschatfische describes is because of (i) the charging issues about which I've been reading on this forum, and (ii) not knowing how to force a charge in the middle of the day...especially if the valet at work who knows nothing about my car plugs me in.

Blastphemy said:
I know this demonstrates I am guilty of not reading the manual thoroughly, but if I set up my charging schedule but then want to charge in the middle of the day, how do I do that?

Just select "Charge Immediately" from the screen that pops up when you turn the power off. You will be presented with that option if you have set up a charging schedule.

tgreene said:
Blastphemy said:
I know this demonstrates I am guilty of not reading the manual thoroughly, but if I set up my charging schedule but then want to charge in the middle of the day, how do I do that?

Just select "Charge Immediately" from the screen that pops up when you turn the power off. You will be presented with that option if you have set up a charging schedule.
That would be this screen:

RAV_Charge_Screen.jpg

The "Charge Immediately" and "Extended Charge" buttons have an indicator at the left edge, which is gray in the image above, that turns Orange when activated. They will stay activated until you press the button again. Just to reiterate, this screen only looks like this if you have the charging schedule set up.

Back