Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rav4 EV Replacement? (hydrogen car)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:04 pm 

This apparently is the car that Toyota will use to replace the Rav4 EV as its California compliance vehicle. I for one will be very disappointed when this comes to pass.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/30/2015-toyota-hydrogen-fuel-cell-car-will-have-300-mile-range/

2012 Rav4EV (#1528); charged w/ JdeMO, Jesla; 81,000 miles and counting,
2018 Model 3 (#131xx)
6.2 kW PV

My 2 cents: http://ventricular.org/ItsElectric/

Post subject: Re: Rav4 EV Replacement?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:25 pm 

"for a price comparable to a mid-size BMW or Tesla Model S."

LOL, sorry Toyota, for that price, I wouldn't blink - Model S with super charger and swap is a no brainer. Yes, I too would be very disappointed in Toyota. Get with it Toyota, expand the relationship with Tesla already!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:50 pm 

occ wrote:

LOL, sorry Toyota, for that price, I wouldn't blink - Model S with super charger and swap is a no brainer. Yes, I too would be very disappointed in Toyota. Get with it Toyota, expand the relationship with Tesla already!

All these pleas miss the goal; for Toyota to make money selling oil burning cars.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:35 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
occ wrote:

All these pleas miss the goal; for Toyota to make money selling oil burning cars.

I think I get it... EVs will be pretty popular by 2015, so a RAV4EV or its replacement would likely sell itself even without any advertising or promotion by Toyota. It would be an embarrassment to them if they sold out of their CARB-mandated number without having to offer any incentives to prove that people want ICEVs and not ZEVs. Picking a fuel cell vehicle is pure genius for them - high initial expense, little customer understanding, and an inadequate network of fueling stations. They are guaranteed to not sell their CARB-mandated minimum without serious incentives even if it is a great car.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:32 pm 

So it looks like the 2600 Rav4 evs are the end of the line! What a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:02 am 

I just purchased one of those RAV4 EV's. I hope if it needs parts in a few years I can still get them. I've only had the vehicle 2 1/2 weeks and I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:30 pm 

This article has a little more information:

http://www.slashgear.com/toyota-fuel-ce ... -01288580/

"Nonetheless, despite Toyota’s – somewhat tempered – enthusiasm, fuel-cells are not universally acclaimed. The technology uses hydrogen, stored at high pressure in tanks usually under the trunk or rear seats, that is passed through a stack of polymer electrolyte membranes coated with catalyst layers: each produces under one volt, but given sufficient density can output sufficient energy to power the car."

"The advantages to fuel-cells, advocates say, are that they only emit oxygen as a waste product, and can be fueled on hydrogen sourced from water put through an electrolysis process. However, critics point to the fact that, in actuality, most commercial hydrogen is produced from natural gas, undermining some of its eco-friendly credentials. There’s also a requirement for power to actually compress the gas – in the case of Toyota’s FCV-R concept, which the production car will be based on, to 690x normal atmospheric pressure – into the car’s tank."

"Perhaps Toyota’s biggest challenge – and one which Elon Musk has highlighted – is infrastructure: so far, although there are a few hydrogen refueling stations in the US, they’re sparse. Unlike an EV, the FCV-R cannot simply be plugged into a regular power outlet for a straightforward (if slow) top-up. Meanwhile, Tesla pushes ahead with its Supercharger network, as well as flirting with even faster battery-replacement systems."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:09 am 

At least you can see the interior.

I have a feeling this car will be very similar to a Range Extended EV, but with the emphasis on the EV portion instead of the on board generator. Essentially using the generator is not designed to happen every day so the plug-in only driving "Range" will be higher than say that of the Volt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:08 am 

The problem is that if you read the specs of some of these FCVs, you find that they cannot accelerate onto the freeway without the fuel cell running because the battery does not have enough output. Also, I don't recall any FCV that actually has a plug. They are really designed for hydrogen to be the only energy input.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

Post subject: Re: Rav4 EV Replacement? (hydrogen car)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:19 am 

Here is the other discussion about the end of the Toyota Rav4 EV to be replaced by a hydrogen car.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time