Member Introduction

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AvLegends said:
Yeah... my dealer, DCH Toyota of Oxnard is known for their slow DMV paperwork processing. When I bought my PIP the plates came in about 2 weeks. Here I'm going almost 3 months for plates... no big deal though with dealer plate cards people still think I just got a new car! :)
Mike, I also got mine from DCH Oxnard but I got my plates faster than I expected. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was less than 3 weeks. You'd better call them to find out what's going on - 3 months is ridiculous.

Hi Mike - AV Legends - I bought my Rav4 EV from the Simi dealership after you bought yours. I've had license plates for a few weeks and the stickers for about 10 days now. Probably time to check with Oxnard and see what's up.

Karen said:
Hi Mike - AV Legends - I bought my Rav4 EV from the Simi dealership after you bought yours. I've had license plates for a few weeks and the stickers for about 10 days now. Probably time to check with Oxnard and see what's up.
Yeah... just passed my 3 mo anniversary... was reminded of the date as my XM Radio 3 month trial ended last weekend. I gotta call DMV even though I don't look forward to waiting on hold listening to music for 45 min. to an hour... think I'll start with Oxnard Toyota first like you suggest.

At least I got the $2500 from the state today! :)

Hi. My name is Gary and I live in Agoura Hills which is near the Los Angeles/Ventura county line. I am 58, married with two grown kids and my wife has 2 grown kids from a previous marriage. I'm a software engineer and do love the technology and I have been salivating for a Tesla for a long time but they are a bit pricey. When I found out that the RAV4 EV has the Tesla motor and battery, I jumped at the chance to own the 'poor man's Tesla'. LOL!

I purchased the vehicle from DCH Toyota in Oxnard on June 16th and have the 2013 Blizzard Pearl. My wife will drive it to work as she has a 45 mile round trip commute. Me, I only drive 6 miles to work so it makes more sense for her to be the primary driver. Four days after the purchase I installed the Leviton 40amp charger in the garage and what a difference in charging. I can top off the 'tank' in a few hours after the wife comes home from work.

I am in the process of getting bids to have a second meter installed in my home so I can take advantage of So Cal Edison rates to charge at night. That will bring the electric bill way down.

I travel to Ventura alot so hopefully I will see the other drivers in the area.

Welcome Gary! Look forward to seeing another local EV Rav4 out and about. I too got mine from Oxnard Toyota. Out of curiosity who sold you yours?

Hi everyone! I've been a forum member for a little more than a week, but I've been reading for more than a month.

My name is Lyle and I live in Hawaii. I work for the federal government. I'm 42, married and have 2 small kids (6 and 3). I have a very short commute (8 miles round trip). I have 30 PV panels on the roof of my house (with space for 90 more) all south facing (I could put even more but those wouldn't be south facing). I over generate by probably 25%, so we'll see what the RAV4 EV does to this, but my guess is that it won't make much of a dent.

I don't have my car yet, I'm expecting it at the end of next week. Due to my short commute, I don't have immediate plans to install a level 2 EVSE, but I'm looking at the 40A Leviton when I do.

I've been working on my private pilot's certificate for many years, but I haven't flown since my daughter was born. I'd love to buy an Icon A5.

madcow said:
Hi everyone! I've been a forum member for a little more than a week, but I've been reading for more than a month.

My name is Lyle and I live in Hawaii. I work for the federal government. I'm 42, married and have 2 small kids (6 and 3). I have a very short commute (8 miles round trip). I have 30 PV panels on the roof of my house (with space for 90 more) all south facing (I could put even more but those wouldn't be south facing). I over generate by probably 25%, so we'll see what the RAV4 EV does to this, but my guess is that it won't make much of a dent.

I don't have my car yet, I'm expecting it at the end of next week. Due to my short commute, I don't have immediate plans to install a level 2 EVSE, but I'm looking at the 40A Leviton when I do.

I've been working on my private pilot's certificate for many years, but I haven't flown since my daughter was born. I'd love to buy an Icon A5.

Welcome (again) Lyle!

Kudos to you for taking the plunge and getting a RAV4 EV delivered to Hawaii. What island do you live on? I lived on Oahu for 5 years in the 1990s when I worked for UH and went to the Big Island (Mauna Kea) a lot for work. I also work for the Federal Government (NASA) now in California. I've got 13 PV panels on my roof and am trying to get 4 or 5 more installed. I wish that I could fit more!

You may want to consider getting your stock Toyota EVSE upgraded to work on 240V. That will more than double the charge rate (to about 7 mi of range per hour of charge) and you can plug it in to a standard dryer outlet. EVSEUpgrade will do it for $239 + the cost of whatever adapter cord you need.
-Tom

tgreene said:
madcow said:

Welcome (again) Lyle!

Kudos to you for taking the plunge and getting a RAV4 EV delivered to Hawaii. What island do you live on? I lived on Oahu for 5 years in the 1990s when I worked for UH and went to the Big Island (Mauna Kea) a lot for work. I also work for the Federal Government (NASA) now in California. I've got 13 PV panels on my roof and am trying to get 4 or 5 more installed. I wish that I could fit more!

You may want to consider getting your stock Toyota EVSE upgraded to work on 240V. That will more than double the charge rate (to about 7 mi of range per hour of charge) and you can plug it in to a standard dryer outlet. EVSEUpgrade will do it for $239 + the cost of whatever adapter cord you need.
-Tom

Tom,

It is a bit of a risk, especially since the Toyota dealerships here are all a part of a monopoly (Servco Pacific). They don't even deal with Toyota America, instead they work directly with Toyota Japan. The sales people always try to scare prospective customers into thinking that their cars won't be serviced if they buy them on the mainland. They don't flat out say that (because they know they would be sued up the ass), but they imply it "Oh it might take us longer to service your vehicle since we would have to check with Toyota America to get warranty approval and since we're so many time zones behind, it may take an extra day". I've got a lot of fight in me so I'm willing to take the chance.

I live on Oahu. I love the Big Island. We went up to Mauna Kea for a science enrichment visit my senior year of high school (before 1990). If you work for NASA in the bay area then I'm thinking that you work at Moffett Field. I drive by that place all the time. I've always wanted to see if my CAC could get me on base there (as it can in most other locations).

If I get my stock EVSE upgraded, would I still be able to use it also with 120V? At some point (in fact sometime this year), I will probably buy a Leviton 40A level 2 EVSE for home use. I'd like the stock EVSE to go with me in the car in case I ever needed to plug in somewhere to 120V. I haven't really explored upgrading the stock EVSE so thanks for the info.

madcow said:

If I get my stock EVSE upgraded, would I still be able to use it also with 120V? At some point (in fact sometime this year), I will probably buy a Leviton 40A level 2 EVSE for home use. I'd like the stock EVSE to go with me in the car in case I ever needed to plug in somewhere to 120V. I haven't really explored upgrading the stock EVSE so thanks for the info.

Yes the upgraded EVSE will still work at 120V (you just need the physical adapter to plug it in). Addressed at the EVSEupgrade.com website.

arnold

I'm finally in a RAV4 EV since last night and very pleased! though by first impressions it doesn't seem as much fun as my Volt or LEAF - maybe cos I'm more accustomed to lower riding cars. There's surely more torque than the other 2 cars but with it, more torque steer. I'm certain I'll get used to her :)

Just thought I'd check back in with the forum with my personal timeline. Just in case any new owners are curious about how long it takes to get the HOV stickers.
Rav4 purchased at City Toyota in Daly City:

Bought the car June 1, 2013.
Plates arrived on June 14, 2013.
Sent application off for HOV stickers the next day June 15, 2013.
DMV cashed HOV check on June 28th, 2013.
HOV sticker arrived today! July 11, 2013.

Not too bad. City Toyota was pretty good about submitting the paperwork to the DMV quickly. Still waiting on my CA rebate, but happy to finally have my stickers for the carpool lane.

SneakyFast1 said:
If AB 266 passes it will extend the HOV stickers to 2020.

You are correct that they current expire in 2015.

Douglas

Yep (fingers crossed). If you're curious about keeping up with the status of AB266, you can follow its progress here:
http://openstates.org/ca/bills/20132014/AB266/

Hello Rav4 EV owners,

I am in Maryland and have been following the forum here since last November. I decided to take the plunge recently. I have a Think City that I just sold. Hopefully I will get the RAV in a couple of weeks.

I had been charging my Think with an upgraded 2012 Leaf unit. I know I need to find a new way to charge with the RAV. My situation is a little complicated in that I live in a townhome with no garage.

I appreciate all of the info that comes through the forum and am looking forward to getting a more capable and fun EV.

Eric

Hi gang!
OK - you know me, or pretty much what I do for a living. A little bit of a workaholic, but yes, there's a human being under all this human-doing! :D

I live in Laguna Niguel, right next to Laguna Beach. I'm the mother of a US Marine. My son Thomas is a Sergeant in the USMC and he's stationed in Hawaii, at Kaneohe Bay. His MOS is CNBC. (CBRN) He just moved there to Hawaii from Miramar... matter of fact I just shipped his Prius there to him. Funny guy... he got himself a "retired US Marine" sticker from the PX and cut off the "re" so his decal across his small rear window says "tired US Marine"... he's a comedian eh?
He's been in the Marines since 2008 and he's 22 as I type this, soon to be 23 in Sept.

I've been into the alternate tech / fuel cars for a while.. first the Prius in 2001 and then beyond. I'm told no one in the country outsells me personally for Prius... and certainly Prius PlugIns as well. And now, Rav4 EVs are my focus and am delighted by this wonderful car! :D

I drive a PriusPlugIN. My favorite Prius yet! It's a 2012 and today, as I stepped from the car to head to my office, it's about to roll over 40K ( have had it 14 months). Yesssssss... it never stops moving. I have a 44 mile commute each way.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianne-Whitmire-at-Carson-Toyota/166002743465471
That above link is where I post a lot of my good deals, too!

I really enjoy Laguna Beach art shows and colorful art, movies at Cinepolis (a guilty pleasure!!) and a good single malt, neat. Sometimes with a good beer back..
I pretty much just view myself as somebody's mom. Which I am!! At work, I am everybody's mom as far as my clients go. Trying to take care of everyone the right way... one deal at a time.

Di

Back