Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Melted charging pins on nozzle @home on 30A Schneider chargr
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 am 

Moderator Edit: Melted charge port with Blink link

ok, so we've had the ev for about 3 months, charge it average every 2 days.

one morning, it was hard to remove nozzle after usual overnight charge...kind of stuck.

did my best to get it out as gentle as possible.
turned out one of the plastic cone that normally is over the metal charging pins on the nozzle is now melted/bonded to the receptacle side of the ev.
so obviously the heat during the charge did this.
i noticed it has always been pretty warm....i thnk over the many charges, the heat slowly got to it so it finally did melt now.
so first it was one pin, now the other.

this sort of started happening before my screen of death.
since i got it back, it's worse, so i'm not sure if the plastic is slowly degrading over time or the fix to new firmware/gateway ecu somehow changed anything.

it all works still but only with my current nozzle.
if i ever had to charge my car else where, the nozzle will not fit since the plastic that was once on the nozzle is now in the ev's receptacle side.

so on my nozzle, it there is 2 metal pins showing where before it is wrapped in plastic (which is now bonded to my ev's female receptacle side.) by the way, the 2 pins affected are side by side, the primary ones passing the current i'm sure.

with the 2 pins exposed, i suppose there is a higher change of it shorting out.
aside from this, is there any other downside anyone can see?

my charger is a schneider...the timer on the charger does not even work...luckily on my ev, the preset timer does work most of the time

looking at my pge bill, the amout of power drawn has been consistent since we got the car though.
at full charge on my pge usage, says i draws 8kWh consistently..

my question is:
1. do most people notice the nozzle to be pretty warm ?
2. if wanted to fix this on the ev, i assume i just have to get the receptacle replaced? is it expensive?
3. is this an issue of the type of plastic schneider uses on the nozzle?
4. or is this an issue with my rav4 ev drawing too many amps?
5. have many other owners experienced this?
6. does 8kWh sound about right for a 30A charger? - do most of you see more or less than this?

mine is a 30A and i had it installed by an electrician so i'm sure it's wired correctly.
so far it's not a huge deal since still functional...i'm debated whether or not to contact schneider...i guess i should
but it is a hardwired unit so does that mean they have to replace the whole unit? or just send me a new nozzle? new cord with nozzle?

Last edited by gary2020 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Melted charging pins on nozzle @home on 30A Schneider ch
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:43 am 

gary2020 wrote:
ok, so we've had the ev for about 3 months, charge it average every 2 days.

one morning, it was hard to remove nozzle after usual overnight charge...kind of stuck.

did my best to get it out as gentle as possible.
turned out one of the plastic cone that normally is over the metal charging pins on the nozzle is now melted/bonded to the receptacle side of the ev.
so obviously the heat during the charge did this.
i noticed it has always been pretty warm....i thnk over the many charges, the heat slowly got to it so it finally did melt now.
so first it was one pin, now the other.

this sort of started happening before my screen of death.
since i got it back, it's worse, so i'm not sure if the plastic is slowly degrading over time or the fix to new firmware/gateway ecu somehow changed anything.

it all works still but only with my current nozzle.
if i ever had to charge my car else where, the nozzle will not fit since the plastic that was once on the nozzle is now in the ev's receptacle side.

so on my nozzle, it there is 2 metal pins showing where before it is wrapped in plastic (which is now bonded to my ev's female receptacle side.) by the way, the 2 pins affected are side by side, the primary ones passing the current i'm sure.

with the 2 pins exposed, i suppose there is a higher change of it shorting out.
aside from this, is there any other downside anyone can see?

my charger is a schneider...the timer on the charger does not even work...luckily on my ev, the preset time does work.

my question is:
1. do most people notice the nozzle to be pretty warm ?
2. if wanted to fix this on the ev, i assume i just have to get the receptacle replaced? is it expensive?
3. is this an issue of the type of plastic schneider uses on the nozzle?
4. or is this an issue with my rav4 ev drawing too many amps?
5. have many other owners experienced this?

looking at my pge bill, the amout of power drawn has been consistent since we got the car though.

mine is a 30A and i had it installed by an electrician so i'm sure it's wired correctly.
so far it's not a huge deal since still functional...i'm debated whether or not to contact schneider...i guess i should
but it is a hardwired unit so does that mean they have to replace the whole unit? or just send me a new nozzle? new cord with nozzle?

I wouldn't charge it any more on this setup. Use the Safety Connect button and call Toyota immediately, have them give you a loaner while they figure out what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:54 am 

well i'm sure they'll say it's not the recommended leviton charger and i'm up the creek.

seriously though, i have to drive the car so short term it's fine...just seeing if others have noticed it warm or HOT when charging.
i know i have to fix it eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:58 am 

I agree that you should get this fixed ASAP.

Your melting problem could accelerate if the resistance has increased between the J1772 plug of your EVSE and the pins in the car. This would mean that more power will be dissipated in those pins, so they would get hotter. If they get hotter, then your connectors will melt more. Not good!

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:04 am 

so what would make the resistance increase?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:25 am 

gary2020 wrote:

Corroded/dirty terminals, poor quality connections from the wires to the terminals (i.e. bad crimps/solders/welds)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:04 am 

IMMEDIATELY STOP USING THIS!!!

THIS IS CRAZY THAT YOU WOULD CONSIDER RISKING BURNING YOUR CAR OR HOUSE DOWN. STOP THE MADNESS.

Melted charge port with Blink link

Also, please, please take pictures.
Get a rental car / dealer loaner / anything else to drive. Have Toyota tow it if you don't have power to get to the dealer.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:30 am 

gary2020 wrote:

Just heating the contacts up (enough to melt the plastic) will likely cause the crimped wire strands and the contacts to oxidize which will in turn increase their resistance.

How much? You say that the EVSE draws 8.0 kW when charging. At a full 240V, the charger in the car draws only 7.2 kW (240 V x 30 A). That means there is an extra 800W being dissipated. How much power is that? Think about the heat from eight 100W incandescent light bulbs being concentrated in your charging connector.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:54 am 

Tony knows his stuff, plus he's had personal experience. He put his reply in all caps for a reason, a very good reason, as it's really not worth risking your life, especially as it won't cost you anything to get this fixed.

Toyota will tow it and get you a loaner, and I can almost guarantee you'll get a new charger. Schneider will want to test it, I would imagine.

Like Tony said, get as many photos as you can of everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:44 am 

The original poster's lack of concern on this issue is shocking. The way the plastic around the pins overlaps in the nozzle and receptacle on the car is important to prevent electrical arcing between the pins. The way I understand the description, there is a free air path directly between the pins in his nozzle now. That is simply unsafe.

This happened to Tony already and Toyota fixed it under warranty, even though it was caused by the EVSE. The EVSE manufacturer should also provide a new nozzle or full cable assembly at no charge.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)