Member Introduction

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Eric! :D

Try this. Portable, with a 25' foot cord.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=evse%20level%202&sprefix=evse+%2Ctools%2C313

Dianne said:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=evse%20level%202&sprefix=evse+%2Ctools%2C313

The AeroVironment (AV) 30 amp unit with a plug is a great value, but the Leviton 40 amp "portable" is now the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB40-P5T-9-6KW-Charging-Station/dp/B00DG1479A/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1373942920&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=evse+level+2#productDetails

I have looked at the Levinton unit as well, it is my preferred one if I cannot get a more mobile solution. Do you think this unit is a good option if I have to plug and unplug it daily?

elmoll said:
I have looked at the Levinton unit as well, it is my preferred one if I cannot get a more mobile solution. Do you think this unit is a good option if I have to plug and unplug it daily?
If you can manage with only half the power of the 40A Leviton or Tesla, the Clipper Creek LCS-25 is the most portable unit and it's only $595. You will have to put your own cord and plug on it though. It is sold by Clipper Creek here.

If you are really considering the 40A Leviton for "portable" use, you can just take off and store the plastic housing. Maybe just some corner guards (like for covering sharp corners of coffee tables for child protection) or feet for the metal box and a cord just long enough for the box to rest on the ground. Do you need the 25 foot 40A cord? It's probably half of the total weight of the Leviton unit.

If you are plugging and moving the EVSE every time you use it, I would recommend the 5kW Clipper Creek unit. I have yet to actually NEED the speed of the 40A Leviton at home.

Reporting for duty! :D

Traded in my 2012 Prius Plug-In Advanced for a 2013 RAV4EV in Shoreline Blue Pearl. Looking forward to joining this community!

My PIPA...so long friend.

mnml said:
Traded in my 2012 Prius Plug-In Advanced for a 2013 RAV4EV in Shoreline Blue Pearl. Looking forward to joining this community!
Did the same thing... hurt for a bit taking a beating on the 2012 PIPA trade but the trade in price was better than I expected. Miss the radar cruise control but love the pure EV experience! :) Cut my loses and moved on!

Welcome!

Looks like I jumped in elsewhere without formally introducing myself.

We "went solar" last summer, with an eye towards getting electric vehicles down the road. Now that the solar panels are paid off, it's EV time.

Last month the minivan continued to act up, which seemed like a sign to pull the trigger, so my wife bought a used 2013 Nissan Leaf. When I say "used" I mean "I now have more miles on the RAV4 EV in two weeks than were on the Leaf which had been owned for a month". (Fortunately the van only needed a heavy-duty engine mount, so we still have a large-capacity long-range vehicular option.)

On the 4th of July, before setting off fireworks at the end of our driveway, I went to a local dealership and picked up a Shoreline Blue model that they had on the lot. Since she'd done her homework, ordered the Aerovironment charger online, and gotten us a discount with an electrician, we had our 50A breaker 240V outlet (NEMA 6-50) run to the front of the house the Wednesday after buying the Leaf (on Friday) ... about a day after the charger was delivered. That let me avoid the whole Leviton process, and while I'm "only" charging at 30A I was able to L2 charge the same day I bought this car.

I was fool enough to buy everything they offered, and am still waiting for them to get those things to me. Whenever I take it in to have their alarm installed and the "Finishing Touch" applied, I'll have them turn off that backup beep and should be done messing with it. I've already gotten used to driving it well enough that I can get ~120mi on a normal charge, which lets me (just) do two days of my commute between charges.

It's not the Tesla Model X, but it's certainly close enough at the moment.

AvLegends said:
mnml said:
Did the same thing... hurt for a bit taking a beating on the 2012 PIPA trade but the trade in price was better than I expected. Miss the radar cruise control but love the pure EV experience! :) Cut my loses and moved on!

Welcome!

Thanks! I totally there are some features with the PIPA that I do miss. For me, mainly HUD, All-Auto Power Windows, and an analog radio control. I'm still getting used to the all-touch radio controls. It's a PITA to set your XM/Sirius station favorites.

No regrets though!

tgreene said:
Welcome mnml and BloomRAV4_EV!

Thank you!!

Hi Tony! I'm just not a fan of the Leviton customer service.
It's one thing to have an issue with a charger and have a PlugIN hybrid. You can still gas the car and deal with it. But, when you have a Leviton problem with one of their products, they are not as customer-oriented as some of the others are. With a solely electric vehicle, that just scares me as a consumer. I find it hard to recommend their service. And, I doubt I am the only one.

TonyWilliams said:
Dianne said:

The AeroVironment (AV) 30 amp unit with a plug is a great value, but the Leviton 40 amp "portable" is now the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB40-P5T-9-6KW-Charging-Station/dp/B00DG1479A/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1373942920&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=evse+level+2#productDetails

Hello everybody!

I've been asking a few questions over the last week and am grateful for your knowledge and experience!

I finally leased one of these great cars last night and am excited about as one of you called it, 'this great experiment.' And that's really how I'm looking at it. The technology is new, the effort by Toyota is somewhat new, and the infrastructure is new. I expect issues to come up. I also know we are a small, shall I say 'elite,' community of Rav4ev owners who are very willing to share and hep each other. Thanks.

I look forward to meeting with all of you sometime and getting to know you here on this forum,

Matt

I've also just purchased a 2013 Blizzard Pearl. I went down with my friend "mnml" and we bought two. I'm Mike, 40, from Long Beach. Also have a 2012 Volt which is great for the longer distance trips.

The no mileage limit lease sold me when they announced it last week. Look forward to collaborating. Oh and traded a 2012 Kia Sportage. Great car, miss it, but love the Rav!

Oh and one more thing, I've owned for almost a week, but it's only been in my possession for about 12 hours because of the "Check EV" error. Grrrrrrr. :oops:

Welcome Mike, from another Long Beach Rav4 EV owner! We have a 2012 Volt as well. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Check EV error message, but let us know how it goes.

Hi Peter, too funny, same cars, same city! I'm in the Bixby Knolls area, off Bixby Rd. I think I saw on the map that you were very close. Thanks for the welcome.

duggie said:
Hi Peter, too funny, same cars, same city! I'm in the Bixby Knolls area, off Bixby Rd. I think I saw on the map that you were very close. Thanks for the welcome.

Wow, you must be just down the street. I live on Bixby not too far from Cherry. Oh and I go the year wrong, we have a 2011 Volt.

I got the year wrong too, our Volt is a 2013. lol I'm off of Bixby between Orange and Cherry also. Bixby Terrace...

Just had my 2013 Blizzard Pearl Rav4 EV #2073 delivered to my home in Orlando on August 5, 2013. I leased it from Dianne at Carson Toyota in CA. Flew in for the day to LA on July 30th, rented an ICE from MIDWAY Car Rental, which by the way was a very nice experience, then off to see Dianne. I got it shipped to Orlando, door to door for $945.

Purchased the Leviton 40A charger and was delivered before I got the car. Just waiting for my electrician to upgrade my wiring. Btw, for the 2 years I had the LEAF I used the converted Nissan charger (EVSE upgrade) in my garage and worked just fine. Now with a bigger battery I need something more permanent and more powerful. I sold my 2011 Nissan LEAF to CARMAX in Orlando. Took a big loss on that, but my range was getting me about 60-70 miles and I was down to 9 bars. So after 25 months and 29,499 miles I said so long to Nissan.

I also wanted to have a TESLA I could afford. Model S is a super car, but way out of my price range. So this is the next best thing. My son, 7, loves the reclining back seat and the acceleration. I believe there is only one other RAV4EV in Florida. Now Orlando is represented.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

2013 Blizzard Pearl Rav4 EV #2073
2011 white Nissan LEAF SL #1978 (sold to CARMAX)

Just closed the deal and car is being shipped this weekend to Illinois. Excited and terrified at the same time. We love the idea of this car, I just hope that it works for us.

Back