First RAV4 EV Outside of California

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

My Blue 2012 RAV4 EV just arrived in Denver. Fresh off the truck from Anthony at Tustin Toyota.

I have a Nissan Leaf, but it couldn't get me from Denver to the ski areas, which was the only reason I kept around an ICE backup car. I have sold my ICE car and now can do 99.9% of my driving electric! Cross-country is the only thing off the table, but not something I never do.

Whoo Hoo!!!! :D

TonyWilliams said:
I sure wish this had 4 wheel drive for the ski slopes, but I do have chains.

The snow on I-70 to the ski resorts in Colorado is never bad enough to need chains. Some good tires and you will never need chains.

Congrats on being the first! Can you share with us how did you arrange to buy one from out of state. Was there a lot of extra red tape at the CA dealership? Who paid for and much was the "extra" delivery cost? How do you plan to get it back to a dealer for service and Toyota's so-called "health checkups"? Is there a local Toyota dealer near you in Colorado you can work with for any possible warranty issues?

So far, it would seem, in addition the tax credit, 0% financing, and significant price concessions we are now seeing from certain CA dealer, in order for Toyota to really start SELLING these phenomenal fun to drive Tesla infused BEVs, they need them to be available to out of state buyers. You are the proof that is already possible even now. I hope this continues, because these cars should not soon start becoming surplus inventory, destined to sit around collecting dust on CA dealers' lots.

We will need spare parts, both expensive and difficult to make, such as power electronics replacement components and Tesla manufactured Li-ion battery packs, (hopefully not any sooner than in a decade or two), so it is important to all current owners for the RAV4 EV to succeed in the marketplace.

Dsinned said:
... in order for Toyota to really start SELLING these phenomenal fun to drive Tesla infused BEVs, they need them to be available to out of state buyers. You are the proof that is already possible even now. I hope this continues, because there cars should not be starting to become surplus inventory, destined to sit around collecting dust on CA dealers' lots.

We will need spare parts, both expensive and difficult to make, such as power electronics replacement components and Li-ion battery packs, (hopefully not any sooner than in a decade or two), so it is important to all current owners that this car succeed in the marketplace.

You do understand that the "success" of this vehicle is for Toyota to sell 2600 in 3 years in California? Not selling in Colorado.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=248#p248

I suppose that there's no legal way for Toyota to not sell to Colorado, other than to not offer warranty service there (which may slow down lots of otherwise out-of-state buyers).

Here's a simple question.... was the sale "consumated" in California (sales tax paid here?).

I was told by my local dealer that they would NOT deliver a RAV4 EV any further away than the CA state line, so I have to assume the red tape to buy from out of state must be an enormous obstacle to the would-be buyer.

And the point about paying sales tax to CA is well taken. That would probably have to be a given, but when the car is under some minimal number of miles upon transfer to another state, that State's DMV would likely try to collect some sort of loofty transfer fee and/or belated "use" tax to re-register the vehicle in the buyer's home state.

Also, as Tony mentioned, Toyota wants all 2600 cars sold from 2012 to 2015, to be in here CA for obvious compliance mandate purposes. If they start selling HERE at a much faster rate, perhaps Toyota will allow the RAV4 EV to be sold by other out of state dealers, but that is way too soon to tell.

Dsinned said:
... If they start selling HERE at a much faster rate, perhaps Toyota will allow the RAV4 EV to be sold by other out of state dealers, but that is way too soon to tell.

I seriously doubt Toyota will ever allow additional Rav4's above the 2600 to be sold, either in California or out of state, when they LOSE money on every sale.

Hmmm . . . that's another good point. Do you think we can expect Toyota's selling price to fall even further to stimulate more sales here in CA; albeit seemngly quite sluggish so far? Given that certain dealers have been recently authorized to discount $5k below sticker already, on top of 0% financing for 60 months, and if what you say is correct, they would now be losing up to $15k per car. How much further down can they go? This is MADNESS! :mrgreen:

Dsinned said:
Hmmm . . . that's another good point. Do you think we can expect Toyota's selling price to fall even further to stimulate more sales here in CA; albeit seemngly quite sluggish so far? Given that certain dealers have been recently authorized to discount $5k below sticker already, on top of 0% financing for 60 months, and if what you say is correct, they would now be losing up to $15k per car. How much further down can they go? This is MADNESS! :mrgreen:

The price will go down until they unload 2600 cars, or about 73 per month.

The first month was 55 cars sold to dealers, so the total for September to retail customers was not surprisingly small, along with Oct and Nov.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=418#p418

On sale: September 24, 2012

Sep 2012 - 61 .......... 61 (55 were sold to the dealers)
Oct 2012 - 47 (23.0% ) 108
Nov 2012 - 32 (32.0%) 140

Any product can be bought in any state without paying sales tax at the seller's location. Cars are no different with sales tax being paid at the rate of your home address.

You cannot take possession inside California. The car has to be driven off the lot by a shipper with the buyer taking possession for the first time outside of California.

There are actually ways to not pay sales taxes on planes and boats in California (and eventually use that conveyance in California).

My question resulted from whether dealers were specifically restricted from not making the sale in California, i.e., you would pay the taxes here, and Toyota would tally it as a California sale (their singular purpose for offering this car).

Apparently not for you.

I half didn't expect the deal to go through. The dealership was frustrated that the was no sales interest in the car.

100 miles range in LA might not be enough with the sprawl of that city.

reeler said:
I half didn't expect the deal to go through. The dealership was frustrated that the was no sales interest in the car.

100 miles range in LA might not be enough with the sprawl of that city.
For whatever reason(s) they are not selling very well anywhere else in CA either.

This is very unfortunate; almost unbelieveably sad really. Such a great, fun to drive, premium EV, that goes like a bat out of Hell, yet seemingly stagnant sales so soon after initial market introduction, already being sold at deeply discounted prices.

The RAV4 EV is infused with advanced high technology, boosting a Tesla pedigree and largely supportive of American factory autoworkers. It offers much better than its very conservatively "advertised" electric range.

If you need a lot of cargo space, something more practical as a family car and also like the idea of saving thousands on gas while driving an EV, there is nothing else like it currently available. Yet, to see the new RAV4 EV almost dying from lack of interest, must be like a slap in the face to Toyota (and even Tesla) regardless of what purpose suposedly it serves on the giant carmakers hidden agenda.

Nevertheless, I'm sure glad I got one early on, even if it turns out I am only one of a few people who owns and drives the new RAV4 EV in the most populous State. :mrgreen:

This may be crazy but I am attempting to buy one from Seattle. There are lots of issues but can I ask what shipper the OP used? I am having trouble pinning down a reliable one.

SeattleRav4 said:
There are lots of issues but can I ask what shipper the OP used? I am having trouble pinning down a reliable one.

I used Montway.com. It was $580 from LA to Denver. They brokered it out to someone who was in Denver.

Thanks for the info on the shipper.

IF my deal goes through I will check with them. I say if because while we have settled on price and terms and I have filled out the paperwork, I still don't have a signed deal after 3 days.

If it works out, we can start a "non California" RAV4 EV club. :)

Just an FYI, I've used DAS shipping for several cars, and in general I've had good results. About 5 shipments and 4 of 5 were good, and one was "subbed" to a less desirable shipper. You can choose your rate depending on how you want it shipped. Completely enclosed down to just an open trailer. It is also cheaper if you take it to a terminal as opposed to door to door. The terminal method almost cuts the cost in half. Of course you can only have it delivered to a terminal at your end, and the California end has to be loaded at the dealership to avoid California taxes.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

Thanks for the recommendation.

To the OP, what is your plan for dealing with maintenance outside CA? I am about to sign the deal and haven't really thought this part through. I was hoping the local Tesla Service center could be used but a look on the web, it doesn't look like they are very interested.
There should not be much but what about recalls or infant mortality type repairs?

@SeattleRav4 - I'm in the same predicament down here in Vancouver, WA. National Toyota told me (per e-mail) that they're OK with non-CA residents purchasing a Rav EV if 1) I find a CA dealership willing to sell to me, and 2) I find a local dealership to service it.

Vancouver Toyota has agreed to service it, saying they have 3 trained techs capable of servicing the Rav4 EV. I've found a CA dealership willing to sell to me, but want me to provide my own shipping to WA. (Thank you to Reeler for your shipper suggestion). So I'm hopeful to have this worked out in the coming days. I need to wait until Jan. 1 however, since I currently own a Volt, and have already used this year's federal rebate.

That is good to hear. I got the same story from the local Toyota dealership. I was concerned since some of the online literature from Toyota says that only select dealers can do the warranty work.

I should be setting up a shipper today for tomorrow.

If you have not already cut a deal with a dealer, I will just say that Folsom Lake Toyota has been pretty aggressive on the price and very willing to work out which one I wanted. They were not well versed in the RAV4 EV when I first called them but I am signing the paperwork today.

If you hurry you may be able to get on the same truck. :) Come to think of it, if we had a couple of more WA buyers, we could all get a deal on the same truck. :)

Back