200 Mile Club (321.9km) & 300km Club (186.4 mile)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bassman said:
Back in April, I made it to Bear Valley and back from my house in Angels Camp by way of Mokelumne Hill a total of 148 miles before turtle hit and that's with a roughly 6000 foot climb. Where does that put me in the most mileage from a single 100% charge?? :)

Looks like number 5, behind Avlegends, me, Waidy and Phil.

The furthest I have gone is 134.6 miles, SOC showed 24 left. Once I knew I would make it home easily, I put it into sport mode. Driving was a mix of local roads and highway. I felt like I could get 150 for sure.

If i knew how to post a pic here, I could post it.

EM

well i've driven 124 with 4 left while driving at "normal" highway speeds 65-70 for half of it, with some a/c use.

I think i could do 150 if i kept it down to 50-55mph though. Thats *so slow* relative to traffic where i drive though (bay area and highway 5) that i've never attempted it. There's enough places to actually charge that i dont bother. But if i need to do a long ferry run, the lower speed is the key (it seems to me). I've tried the drafting trucks thing (its acutally kind of cool to put it in cruise and drift up behind a truck, and watch the energy input go down, however i can never convince myself to get "close enough" for it really to work well).

(there was a Mythbuster's episode on this technique by the way. it works, but to really get the benefit, you have to be pretty close).

189.2 Miles on an extended charge, LBW at 161.4, VLBW at 171.4. Drove from Temecula to Diamond Bar and back, lots of elevation change, nothing is flat around here.

1579921_10152130151703704_1257863258_n.jpg

1082023_10152130151858704_1736732003_n.jpg

Nicely done...
Since my purchase I've contemplated a serious attempt at 200 miles. I even have the course picked out. An 8.5 mile square in farm country, flat at sea level. But timing a warm dry windless summer day in Western Washington is the real challenge. 24 laps and 6 hours of extreme boredom @ 35mph. And then the logistics... warming and pre-conditioning the pack, and having the support vehicle "wife in Leaf with generator in back" waiting around all day. How does that old song go? D-I-V-O-R-C-E

I think your record will stand for a while...
Sir Edmond Hillary, Charles Limburg,... and pchilds. Elite company :)

Just doing ordinary driving around over 3 days no charging not trying to conserve got
160.0 Some one of these days I will try hard to get to 200.0 it's a great vehicle. In May i loaded it with 1000 pounds of electronic gear drove to Dayton ohio via Ann Arbor took me 4 days. Drove 4 days back you have to put on your special attitude for a trip where you drive two hours and then charge for 6 or 8 hours and the drive 2 more hours. The campgrounds are the best 40 amp charging and lots of interesting people to talk to during the charge time. I guess I should do a magazine article to counteract all the tesla ones. Nobody charged me for electricity. Eagerly awaiting Tonys chademo plug
David

Today I tried again for some distance . The secret to distance is maximum miles per kilowatt.
This time got 4.6 and got. A single charge run of 181.4. I think I figured out a route that I can maintain at higher than 5.0 miles per kWh. Might give me a shot at 200 for one charge.
This vehicle is fun

Davidb9608 said:
Today I tried again for some distance . The secret to distance is maximum miles per kilowatt.
This time got 4.6 and got. A single charge run of 181.4. I think I figured out a route that I can maintain at higher than 5.0 miles per kWh. Might give me a shot at 200 for one charge.
This vehicle is fun

Glad you're having fun!

When I'm doing long distance traveling (like from Mexico to Canada), I just drive 55mph to get 4.0 miles per kWh multiplied by the new battery usable capacity of 41.8kWh.

I usually stop every 150 miles.

TonyWilliams said:
Davidb9608 said:
This vehicle is fun

Glad you're having fun!

When I'm doing long distance traveling (like from Mexico to Canada), I just drive 55mph to get 4.0 miles per kWh multiplied by the new battery usable capacity of 41.8kWh.

I usually stop every 150 miles.

You have driven from Mexico to Canada in the Rav EV? How did you find reliable places to charge? How long did it take you? Driving 100-140 ish miles and charging for 4-5 hours would get old real quick.

jimbo69ny said:
You have driven from Mexico to Canada in the Rav EV? How did you find reliable places to charge? How long did it take you? Driving 100-140 ish miles and charging for 4-5 hours would get old real quick.

I've done the drive in both a Rav4 EV (2013) and a Nissan LEAF (2012).

I use Tesla Roadster stations (with my custom built adaptor) and RV parks with a JESLA. Those are the only options to ensure 40amp service, and only the RV parks are likely to have 240 volts instead of only 208 volts.

It's about 1500 miles, so driving about 300 miles per day means only one midday stop for 5 hours (minimum) and one overnight charge at a hotel or camp spot. Total traveling time will be 6 hours driving to cover 300 miles at 50mph average speed and 5 hours charging, so 11 hours.

Obviously, 450 miles is the next threshold, and that would add 8 more hours, or a 19 hour travel day.

With the West Coast Electric Highway, I drove a Nissan LEAF through Oregon, from south to north, in 12 hours using only CHAdeMO stations. I did something similar through Washington state the next day.

JdeMO in the Rav4 EV should make that just as easy.

Ok this is me being a newb but how are the roadster charging stations different from the model s? How many are there and how do you find them?

TonyWilliams said:
There's not a big secret how to do this... we can't make the battery bigger, but we can certainly make it smaller with use and time (degradation) and losses from lower or higher temperatures from 70F (energy is required to heat and cool the battery).

So, with relatively new cars, we all start at 41.8kWh on a beautiful California day. Then, you just need to get your economy to 4.8 miles/kWh !!!

Honestly, a steady 40-45mph should do it out on the open highway.
Who could stand to spend five hours driving at 40mph out on the open highway? It seems nobody has been able to, yet... :)

On Tuesday, I hit 205 miles on flat ground with a single charge. I have a picture of the dash stats, but I don't see a way to post a photo here. Here are the stats:

Drive Miles

Elapsed Time
06:09

Avg. Efficiency
4.7 mi/kWh

The ECO Driving Score was 81/100 ( Can't imagine what it would take to get a 90+)

If you do the math, either the 4.7 mi/kWh is off/low or my battery holds 43.6 kWh.

That's pretty awesome 200 miles on a charge. Looks like you were driving for 6 hours straight at low speed. Where were you driving that you were able to do that?

Most of 205 miles was on country roads at 40-45 mph. I had about 30 stop/starts Total. Some were just getting out and in town and then there were stop signs every few miles out in the country from Fresno to Los Banos area. I think the longest nonstop stretch was about 15 miles. Temp was 70F-90F and the biggest elevation change I had was a freeway overpass.

Back