"Oh the humanity" Rear ended on I-5

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug401

OK.. it's not as spectacular as the Tesla that burned a few weeks ago just south of here, still... for me, a very depressing sight. I need a recommendation for a top notch body shop in the Seattle area. :(
http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/152967851
http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/152967849

Suck man =(

Just remember if they do any paint work not to put the car in one of those temperature rooms that "bake" the paint in... It'll fry your battery.

So sorry - every proud owners nightmare.

Post up what happens with the insurance co and the body shop. With some insurance co they will total the car on the electric cars and hybrids even for small damages like yours. They don't want to be liable for damages down the road if something goes wrong with the battery, motor, electronics from the body work. I'm sure we would all be interested in how it's handled for you.

Best wishes your way!

Have them put a rear door on from a junkyard that can hold a spare tire. Probably far easier to find than the special one that we have.

ground_gainer said:
Suck man =(

Just remember if they do any paint work not to put the car in one of those temperature rooms that "bake" the paint in... It'll fry your battery.
Yes... I'll be sure of that, and it will be the first thing I mention to the claims adjuster, since he is probably in the dark about EV repair specifics. Another concern is the rear left quarter panel which has a nice crease, otherwise not bent or shifted. Because as we know, the plug is a part of that panel, so I really don't want any "body guy" going near any EV components. The tail gate is toast, but it has only shifted .10 inch to the left measured at the tail lights, LH side is narrower, RH side has opened up. It still latches so I feel lucky about overall misalignment.

I got rearended about 2.5 months ago. Make sure whoever does the work, does not bake the car with the batteries in! I luckily stopped my Toyota body shop form doing that. They didn't know that it would kill the lithium batteries. they ended up baking the painted parts then putting them on. They bake at 140 F. That will destroy your traction batteries. :(

Follow up... and question?
If the body shop need to tack weld (edit... using arc type tack welder) on the body, does the traction battery need to be disconnected? The 12v needs to be disconnected of course, but the traction battery doesn't use the chassis as GND soooo... The reason I ask is because this is what my chosen body shop said they would do, only because that's what they do with all 12v systems. I also have assurances that the vehicle will NOT be put into the bake booth, and I can be present when this painting process is being performed. They claim they have a special clear coat that doesn't required heat.

When shopping around for body shops, I went to 3, and I put the same question to each. "What is the most critical NO-NO when painting EV's"? None got it right. The first performs Leaf work, and they said because the batts are "more inside" the vehicle, the heat doesn't have time to soak that far into the mass. I told them that won't work for me. The second said all their paint work must go into the heat booth. The third understands the risk, and like I said above, can do non-removable parts at room temps, I can be present during painting, and I told them I will be putting recordable thermometers in the vehicle to be certain everyone is being honest.

Oh Doug. I'm sorry! It doesn't look that bad though. Of course, I'd be horrified if it were my car so again, my condolences) ...

Hope it's back to health soon!

Scott1258 said:

Post up what happens with the insurance co and the body shop. With some insurance co they will total the car on the electric cars and hybrids even for small damages like yours. They don't want to be liable for damages down the road if something goes wrong with the battery, motor, electronics from the body work. I'm sure we would all be interested in how it's handled for you.

Best wishes your way!

Well it is all behind me now.
http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/153589509
The body shop did a great job, and very EV friendly. It did have to go into the heated paint booth, but at 80 degrees for 48 hours. The shop owner was very understanding of my heat concerns and allowed full access during the process. My biggest eye opener was when I stopped by during the body work, and saw the ECU unbolted and swung forward to allow for room to work on the quarter panel. Luckily the connectors remained attached, because ESD, electrostatic discharge, was a real concern of mine. Obtaining parts wasn't a problem. The body shop contacted a local Toyota dealer who had them shipped up from the bay area. Color match is outstanding, perhaps better than factory when comparing plastic painted parts and body painted parts. Grand total was $6000. I can post the invoice and parts cost if anyone is interested. Zero out of pocket and a rental car for a week… which was the real crime, the Subaru Forrester Automatic. Once you go EV, you can't go back.

By the way, the other party was cited, insured, but attempted to make up a story of how it all happened. The State Patrol, and both insurance companies saw through that BS. Pictures don't lie. I now have a dash camera installed.

doug401 said:
Scott1258 said:

Best wishes your way!

Well it is all behind me now.
http://www.pbase.com/doug401/image/153589509
The body shop did a great job, and very EV friendly. It did have to go into the heated paint booth, but at 80 degrees for 48 hours. The shop owner was very understanding of my heat concerns and allowed full access during the process. My biggest eye opener was when I stopped by during the body work, and saw the ECU unbolted and swung forward to allow for room to work on the quarter panel. Luckily the connectors remained attached, because ESD, electrostatic discharge, was a real concern of mine. Obtaining parts wasn't a problem. The body shop contacted a local Toyota dealer who had them shipped up from the bay area. Color match is outstanding, perhaps better than factory when comparing plastic painted parts and body painted parts. Grand total was $6000. I can post the invoice and parts cost if anyone is interested. Zero out of pocket and a rental car for a week… which was the real crime, the Subaru Forrester Automatic. Once you go EV, you can't go back.

By the way, the other party was cited, insured, but attempted to make up a story of how it all happened. The State Patrol, and both insurance companies saw through that BS. Pictures don't lie. I now have a dash camera installed.[/quote]

Does the dash camera takes video of the rear as well?

All the while i thought it's only recording the front of the dash ( GoPro camera)

Back