3rd Row Seats

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Has anyone considered mounting a 3rd row in the Rav4 EV? I know Toyota offers this option in the ICE version and wonder if it is possible on the EV.

That is very interesting that the cup holders are still there. Do you see anything that would prevent it from fitting? Where are the battery packs?

Like in all of Tesla's own new products, the battery is the floor of the car, a main structural element. Eliminates the driveshaft tunnel/hump inside, and dramatically lowers CoG and improves handling. Plus frees up internal storage space.

I anticipated that is where the battery packs would be as that is where they are located in me Nissan LEAF. I was just curious if they also went under the trunk area above where the third row would go and if they would interfere with mounting the third row in any way.

There nothing in the way for the third seat. The "storage boot" is identical to the oil burner Rav4:

IMG_1744.jpg

Perfect! That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Do you have a pic of the inside of the trunk/ "storage boot" as well?

I know I started this thread quite a while ago but I am now starting to get serious at this. Given that my family has grown and my commute has lengthened since I bought my LEAF, I need to make a change.

I would love a Tesla S to carry my family of 6 but given the current incentives the RAV4 EV is simply a lot less money. The trick is can I make this work.

So far the dealers have all looked as me as being crazy. I think that means it is up to you guys and me to determine if I can actually mount a third row in the vehicle.

My local dealer has both a RAV4 EV and a 2012 RAV4 with third row so I have been looking at them side-by-side. Here is what I have observed so far.

1) The structure of the vehicle does not look like it has changed at all. This includes the frame where the the seat would mount to the floor, space for the seat to fold into the floor and space for passenger's feet.

2) The seat belts mount to the "C" pillar (is that the correct term on an SUV?). the farthest rear vertical pillar. Obviously I haven't removed the plastic paneling but my guess is that the mounting points are still underneath. The paneling would have to be switched out to allow the seat belt to be threaded through.

3) Airbags have not been changed. It is a single curtain airbag which covers the entire sidewall in the second and third rows.

4) As pointed out before, even the cup holders are still there.

Potential issues that I see:

a) There might be an issue mounting the seat if it interferes with batteries but as of right now it does not appear that would be the case.

b) There are two rings in the cargo area of the vehicles equipped with third rows. As far as I can tell, the only purpose they serve is to anchor the folded seats into the floor when they are in the DOWN position. They don't seem to do anything when they are up. They appear to be welded on but honestly don't seem that necessary.

c) This would probably affect range in some capacity but I have no idea how much.

d) The same dealers that think I am crazy say that they probably would not install a third row and may not even sell me the parts for liability reasons.

e) I might have to have the seats custom upholstered if I want them to match.

Overall this doesn't seem that hard. What other things might I be missing?

Thanks.

Darren said:
Potential issues that I see:

a) There might be an issue mounting the seat if it interferes with batteries but as of right now it does not appear that would be the case.

b) There are two rings in the cargo area of the vehicles equipped with third rows. As far as I can tell, the only purpose they serve is to anchor the folded seats into the floor when they are in the DOWN position. They don't seem to do anything when they are up. They appear to be welded on but honestly don't seem that necessary.

c) This would probably affect range in some capacity but I have no idea how much.

d) The same dealers that think I am crazy say that they probably would not install a third row and may not even sell me the parts for liability reasons.

e) I might have to have the seats custom upholstered if I want them to match.

Overall this doesn't seem that hard. What other things might I be missing?

Thanks.

Just go to the junk yard and find a wrecked Rav4 with the seats.

Given that the body is stock ICE RAV4 I would be surprised if the third row seats would not fit. As Tony's picture showed, even the mufler bracket is still there. We need to confirm which stock ICE RAV4, probably the Sport.

If I could find a salvage set, it would be nice to have a quick install setup.

In relation to this thread, I am curious how much weight affects range. Since I don't think anyone has yet to add the weight of a third row, I'm thinking the closest estimate would be a full load of passengers or some extra cargo. Thoughts?

In relation to this thread, I am curious how much weight affects range. Since I don't think anyone has yet to add the weight of a third row, I'm thinking the closest estimate would be a full load of passengers or some extra cargo. Thoughts?

The weight will certainly be an impact but I don't think anyone has done any real testing to see how much.
This thread got me curious because I was initially looking for a RAV4 with third row seats. Hear are some pictures of the back of mine.
Notice the latches (handles?) for the third row seats.
Thirdrowseathandle_zps29ab6d63.jpg.html

Reading other forums i found some one selling third row seats and the link is below. I am not sure this will fit RAV4EV

http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/rav4.html#.UUCxghxnrIY

ravisekhar said:
Reading other forums i found some one selling third row seats and the link is below. I am not sure this will fit RAV4EV

http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/rav4.html#.UUCxghxnrIY

Thanks. I have looked into these for my FJ Cruiser. I like the concept and they appear to be very sturdy. My only comments are that I believe that sturdy probably means heavy (which might affect range) and that I think I prefer that the factory Toyota seats fold into the floor (these don't).

I really appreciate you keeping your eyes out for me. Thanks again.

SeattleRav4 said:
The weight will certainly be an impact but I don't think anyone has done any real testing to see how much.
This thread got me curious because I was initially looking for a RAV4 with third row seats. Hear are some pictures of the back of mine.
Notice the latches (handles?) for the third row seats.
Thirdrowseathandle_zps29ab6d63.jpg.html

Thanks. The main thing I am wondering at this point is that the factory Toyota 3rd row has several metal "loops" in the floor that the seat connects to in order to hold it in position when it is up or folded. Without pulling up the carpet in both a gas RAV4 with a a third row and a RAV4 EV, I can't figure out what those loops connect to and if they are bolted, welded, etc. I think I need to find a detailed service manual.

The loops are red in this red gas RAV4.

Yos1Aj

ZLoRI5

10HsDB2

Back