SOLD: 2013 RAV4 EV 41K miles and JdeMO for sale SF Bay Area

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 340

2013 Blizzard Pearl (white metallic paint) RAV4 EV for sale -- $15,700 OBO

* 41K miles, all specified maintenance done on schedule (including the $500+ coolant replacement)
* New tires in 2020 - only 2K miles on them
* New on-board charger in 2017, new motor in 2019
* Runs great, very quiet, very clean (just detailed), everything works (including heater)
* Original owner, all manuals, 2 key FOBs, floor mats, all original equipment included

Upgrades / additional items included:
* Includes JdeMo for CHAdeMO DC fast charging. Installed by Quick Charge Power.
* Upgraded hydraulic hood struts
* Supplied Toyota / Panasonic EVSE has been professionally modified to accept either 120 or 240V. Includes 20' cable and L6-30 connector for different electrical outlet plugs (120V plug included)
* Custom-fit windshield sunshade with case

VIN 2T3YL4DV8DW001633

More info and photos here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/redwood-city-2013-toyota-rav4-ev-suv/7299056333.html

High voltage battery is in excellent shape: still provides extend charge beyond standard capacity if selected (~120+ mi range YMMV).

No accidents or any substantial damage
Minor cosmetic issues commensurate with age and mileage (see photos)

Located in Redwood City, CA (SF Bay Area / Peninsula)

Thanks for looking

The car has been sold.

Thank you all for your help, support, and wit over the years.

I will miss my RAV4EV dearly, but I won't miss all of its "Experimental Vehicle" aspects.

-Tom Greene

tgreene said:
The car has been sold.

Thank you all for your help, support, and wit over the years.

I will miss my RAV4EV dearly, but I won't miss all of its "Experimental Vehicle" aspects.

-Tom Greene
From your signature it seems that you replaced the RAV with an ID.4. I would be interested to read your thoughts about the ID.4 after being a RAV4 EV owner for these years.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I managed to drive an VW ID.4 a couple weeks ago when I saw one at the dealership in Santa Maria. In comparison, to our 2014 RAV4 EV it's definitely slower than the RAV4 EV in sport mode. There's less space in the cargo area and the roof is lower in the back seat than the RAV4. The back seat legroom seems comparable to the RAV4 though. There is supposedly a sport mode in the ID.4 though I wasn't able to find it. The ID.4 also seems quieter than the RAV4. The B mode on the ID.4 also could be a bit more aggressive for better single pedal driving. Finally, the gear shift on the ID.4 is a rotary knob on the end of a stalk on the steering column which does take some getting use to. Also for some reason they chose to use white material on the steering wheel and the doors so that will show dirt rather quickly.

On a side note, there's no spare tire on the ID.4 just like with the RAV4 EV.

IMHO, the smaller cargo area is also a bit of a bummer. I would also opt for the dual motor version that is supposed to come out later this year.

swogee said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I managed to drive an VW ID.4 a couple weeks ago when I saw one at the dealership in Santa Maria. In comparison, to our 2014 RAV4 EV it's definitely slower than the RAV4 EV in sport mode. There's less space in the cargo area and the roof is lower in the back seat than the RAV4. The back seat legroom seems comparable to the RAV4 though. There is supposedly a sport mode in the ID.4 though I wasn't able to find it. The ID.4 also seems quieter than the RAV4. The B mode on the ID.4 also could be a bit more aggressive for better single pedal driving. Finally, the gear shift on the ID.4 is a rotary knob on the end of a stalk on the steering column which does take some getting use to. Also for some reason they chose to use white material on the steering wheel and the doors so that will show dirt rather quickly.

On a side note, there's no spare tire on the ID.4 just like with the RAV4 EV.

IMHO, the smaller cargo area is also a bit of a bummer. I would also opt for the dual motor version that is supposed to come out later this year.
The white interior is also a non-starter for me. Luckily, this is only mandatory on the First Edition in the US. If I were to get an ID.4 I would spec an AWD Pro S. The black and brown interior looks good to me.

https://media.vw.com/gallery/images/12566

swogee said:

I found some figures and put a table of some current EVs with their cargo space here. Summary: nothing has the cargo space of our RAV4 EV.

Not the OP, but I'm about 2 weeks into my ID.4 after selling my RAV4 a few months ago.

Generally, I really, really like the ID.4. Cargo area is a bit less, but not that much. The car is surprisingly low compared to the RAV4 and slightly wider. While the RAV4 feels nimble and quick on the road, the ID.4 is a bit more of a luxury car feel. Solid and quiet, but no slouch when it comes to acceleration. It feels equivalent to the RAV4 in normal mode. To be honest, the only time I pressed the "sport" button on the RAV4 was to impress people, so not that big of a loss for me.

I am getting terrific range with the ID.4, more than expected. The charging is great. Already did a road trip and it was flawless with the EA network. No more worrying about bridging the gap to the next Chademo. The modern features are also much needed. Adaptive cruise control helps a lot on road trips. Apple/Android are also great.

And yes... I'm going to miss this forum. Very supportive and informative.

Hi @miimura and all,

+1 to what @swogee and @geo said.

The ID.4 is definitely more focused on comfort, and it pays the price of a more remote feel, less cargo volume, etc. I cannot take the front wheel off my bike and then strap the bike to the inside wall of the car as I could in the RAV4. The ID.4 definitely has stronger regenerative braking in B than the RAV4. RAV4 seems to have both better acceleration and braking.

The RAV4 has more go and feels more focused on function, while the VW is more of a comfort car (a bit quieter, more plush, better seats). The RAV4 is a small electric SUV, while the ID.4 is an electric CUV. The ID.4 has prettier interior lights.

I think that the RAV4 also has more niceties / convenience features than the VW, something that surprised me but did not surprise some long-time VW people:
- ID.4 has only 1 glovebox and it is not lockable. RAV4 has the traditional, lockable glovebox with the extra compartment above it near the top of the dash
- RAV4 has the lights behind the front visors
- RAV4 has a superior stereo / audio system too - more natural sounding.
- ID.4 has a single console compartment between the front seats (albeit with separators) vs the two compartments on the RAV4. No coin tray in ID.4.
- No 12V outlet in passenger compartment of ID.4, only in cargo area
- No sunglasses holder in ID.4
- No homelink buttons on rearview mirror on ID.4. You have to buy & install a replacement with homelink ($285 for the part from VW).

Android Auto (& CarPlay) and the various ACC + lane keeping assistants are nice. Much better backup camera than the RAV4 - has guidelines and a selectable wider FOV. Surprisingly, it has a smaller turning radius than the RAV4. The ultrasonic parking distance system is good, and all of this makes it easy to get in and out of tight spaces. Also nice to have an integrated hitch for a bike rack or small trailer (in some versions). Haven't done a road trip yet, but I planned some in ABRP. Night and day difference from the RAV4 with the larger range and up to 125 kW charging! The Bay Area to LA or Tahoe should be a piece of cake.

The ID.4 has more configurable systems and it is absolutely riddled with bugs. The infotainment screen goes black, the volume gets whacked, and 2.5 of the 3 charging modes do not work for me. The only way I can get it to sort of complete a charge is to set it for a departure time but no specific charging period that corresponds with my TOU period. It starts the charge OK but does not get to the specified state of charge when it shuts off at the departure time (e.g., gets to 70% when I specified 80% SOC). Other owners have helped me debug these charging issues and they are indeed endemic to multiple (all?) cars. VW is supposed to provide its first OTA update within 6 months, and I suggest that you do not buy this car until that update has been rolled out and verified as a major improvement.

I know that the RAV4 had its share of bugs at the start (remember no charging on the 31st?), and no really major ones like the RAV4 "EV System Error" speed sensor issue seem to have materialized yet in the ID.4.

I was quite sad to let the RAV4 go but it was time. I'm just not feeling the same excitement or satisfaction with the ID.4. My wife likes it though; she was always a bit scared of the RAV4 and called it a "truck." She likes the ID.4's cool lights...

I'd be happy to show it to you or other forum members in the Redwood City area (I've had my jab).

Back