200 Mile Club (321.9km) & 300km Club (186.4 mile)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Ok, I'm laying down the gauntlet. The first person to hit 200 miles can forever claim bragging rights! The rules are simple; drive the car without refueling and also ending at an elevation at or above the starting point. Downhill runs don't count. Simple, right?

October 8, 2014 - First 200 Mile Club member!!! Mr. dbray007 !!!!

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16938#p16938

Drive Miles

Elapsed Time
06:09

Avg. Efficiency
4.7 mi/kWh

The ECO Driving Score was 81/100 ( Can't imagine what it would take to get a 90+)

If you do the math, either the 4.7 mi/kWh is off/low or my battery holds 43.6 kWh.

Newly added 300km Club (186.4 miles)!!!!

January 18, 2014 - First 300km Club member - pchilds, 189.2 miles, 4.6 miles per kWh, calculated 41.1kWh burned.

http://myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11096#p11096

Runner up highest mileage King!!!

pchilds - 177.1 miles !!! June 16, 2013

2nd Runner up:

Waidy - 175.2 miles, March 8, 2013

3rd runner up:

waidy said:
I posted the following at BayLEAF group in facebook on Dec 27, 2012:
  • Today.. on Panda (nick name for the '12 Rav4EV), 158 miles (95% freeway miles) all in one charge. Start from Los Altos Hills to San Francisco, then to Santa Cruz, end point De Monte Shopping Center, Monterey. Average 65+mph.

4th runner up:

Davidb9608 went 175.1 miles

5th runner up:

TonyWilliams, June 24, 2013 - 151.6 miles, 4 miles per kWh, 3900 feet elevation gain (the pass at Mt Shasta on the 5 freeway)

Tony, 200 miles +++might be possible+++ if say the driver started near Bakersfield, merged onto I-5 heading South Southwest with a very strong tail wind, OAT 68F, following close behind an 18 wheeler going 50mph so as to be sucked into his draft, up the Gravevine and down the other side. That would probably get you close to an average of 4.8mi/kWH. Or, just put Waidy behind the wheel and you might even get another 10 miles further!!! :mrgreen:

Actually, I'd feel pretty darn good about myself if I ever made it 150 miles on a single charge. :shock: :eek:

Wow, 200 miles would be impressive.

I have been averaging 3.5 mi/KWh driving each direction Marin <-> Sunnyvale which is 55 mi one way. The other day I started with the GoM saying 129 miles. Then I drove down, plugged into 110V and added about 20 miles before driving back and I had 54 miles left on the GoM when I got home. My really rough math was 110-20+54=144/tank. (I know that's really rough. The 20 and the 54 are guesstimates.) Not quite as impressive as some have done, but I was pleased with myself.

I peaked once at 3.8 mi/KWh on that 55 mile route.

Dave

SeaMonster said:
I peaked once at 3.8 mi/KWh on that 55 mile route.

Dave

There's not a big secret how to do this... we can't make the battery bigger, but we can certainly make it smaller with use and time (degradation) and losses from lower or higher temperatures from 70F (energy is required to heat and cool the battery).

So, with relatively new cars, we all start at 41.8kWh on a beautiful California day. Then, you just need to get your economy to 4.8 miles/kWh !!!

Honestly, a steady 40-45mph should do it out on the open highway.

SeaMonster, the more and more real world data I see, the more I think our cummulative average Miles/kWh is quite accurate. In your case, 3.5mi/kWh (avg) x 41.8kWh = 146 miles, is very close to what you are ACTUALLY getting on your commute.

Great thread! I just found you!

For environmental reason, I only go out if I "have to". I like challenges so I am going to set a radar in google map to see what's happening at the edge of the 200 mile radius from my home. If I find something good, I will try the 200 mile challenge. I will record my routes and speed and report.

Waidy reports 175.2 miles:

DolphinLBW001b.jpg

Training for the 200 mi run... made 151 today on a standard charge. This is with losing a couple mi each morning over the last three nights.

Turtle came on at 148 mi and I didn't want to push things and get stranded.

I think I can make 200 or close to it on an extended charge. Look out Waidy... I'm not that far behind. :)

AvLegends said:
Training for the 200 mi run... made 151 today on a standard charge.

Did you mean to say "standard charge"? If so, that means your avg driving eff would have been about 4.3mi/kWh, which is incredibly EFFICIENT!!!

Dsinned said:
AvLegends said:
Training for the 200 mi run... made 151 today on a standard charge.

Did you mean to say "standard charge"? If so, that means your avg driving eff would have been about 4.3mi/kWh, which is incredibly EFFICIENT!!!
Yup... standard 80% charge. Pretty painful driving! Look out Waidy! :)

How far can you go once it shows "LO"? I went about 4 miles and didn't want to get stranded. Also don't know if it's hard on the battery.

Just think if you started out from an extended charge, you would have made it to 180 miles and beat Waidy's record! :mrgreen:

AvLegends said:
How far can you go once it shows "LO"? I went about 4 miles and didn't want to get stranded. Also don't know if it's hard on the battery.

Make sure you reset the economy gauge in the center console (HOME, EV, ???) so we can get that info if you don't look at the "shutdown" screen on the dash.

As far as what's good for the battery, let's face it... anything that is not 50% SOC and stored in a deep freeze is "bad" for a lithium battery. On the grand scale of things, the worst is 100% SOC with high temperatures. If you don't leave the car with a low SOC battery, eh, it's probably not "that" bad.

41.8kWh * 80% charge = 33.44kWh usable / 155-ish mile range = 215.74 wattHour per mile (4.635 miles per kWh).

So, at that same economy, I get 4.635 * 41.8 = 193.75 miles. You are not there yet !!!!

AvLegends said:

Some here claim that if you get "stranded", just leave everything shutdown (turned OFF) for a while and then try a restart. They say your battery will still have a tiny bit of extra juice stored in reserve, and it will get you going again, but only a VERY short distance. This "emergency" reserve battery capacity will get you perhaps as much as another mile or two if you drive super conservatively, and don't turn anything else back on (i.e. lights, radio, seat heaters, HVAC, etc).

Tony, I'm just repeating what other members have already stated here in other topics. It sounds unlikely but at least two RAV4 EV drivers here have mentioned this in their long distance driving "adventures". Besides, don't most batteries have a partial recovery mode after they have been nearly completely discharged? Maybe only by a very small amount, say <0.5% SoC, but that may be just enough to get the car moving again, briefly anyway, in an emergency stranded situation.

For curiosity, I did a "high speed driving" from my home (Los Altos Hills) to evseupgrade (Berkeley) last week. Total round trip was 95.8 miles. The route is 280 -> 380 -> 101 -> 80. The speed was 70-75 mph. I started with a 80% tank of juice (33.44kWh by calculation). When I got home I have 3 bars left on the juice bar (6.27kWh by calculation). Therefore, the efficiency for this "high speed scary ride" is approximately 3.82 miles/kWh.

Note for the "approximately": I took my Rav to Phil for 120V/240V charging testing. I was there for 2-3 hours, my Rav was plugged then unplugged, plugged and then unplugged..... There was less than 5 miles added during the testing and no bar increased.
AvLegends said:
Yup... standard 80% charge. Pretty painful driving! Look out Waidy! :)
I much rather to drive at 55-60 than 70-75.

In additions, I believe we sold at least two Rav4s to EV potential buyers at the Sunday's Los Altos Hills Earth Day Celebration (they said they were going to the Toyota Dealer to get one). The posters I used for the "advertisement" on the Rav are:

Rav4displayb.jpg

Rav4underHood150b.jpg
Rav4bottom180b.jpg

DolphinLBW001b.jpg

Just did a standard re-charge and the GoM says 138 miles. Waidy is the Queen for efficient driving! We'll see where I go from here. ;)

Dsinned said:
Tony, I'm just repeating what other members have already stated here in other topics. It sounds unlikely but at least two RAV4 EV drivers here have mentioned this in their long distance driving "adventures". Besides, don't most batteries have a partial recovery mode after they have been nearly completely discharged? Maybe only by a very small amount, say <0.5% SoC, but that may be just enough to get the car moving again, briefly anyway, in an emergency stranded situation.

I agree completely with what you said about the battery "rebound". My point is that once the contactors open, the battery may have rebounded, but there won't be a physical connection to the motor (nor will it go in gear).

Back