Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: just before the extended warranty runs out - buy another?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 pm 

Before the factory warranty ran out, I bought the extende factory warranty (from Gilroy), and when they repainted the body late (East Bay), I asked them to look into the rear 'whine' at certain speeds. They said it was fine, until I had it towed in this past summer for a new drive motor assy.

In a few months the Gilroy bought warranty runs out, and I'm tempted to buy another, but not sure what and where.

Suggestions?
Sure glad I had the factory extended!
Ferenc

Post subject: Re: just before the extended warranty runs out - buy another
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:12 am 

ferenc wrote:
Before the factory warranty ran out, I bought the extende factory warranty (from Gilroy), and when they repainted the body late (East Bay), I asked them to look into the rear 'whine' at certain speeds. They said it was fine, until I had it towed in this past summer for a new drive motor assy.

In a few months the Gilroy bought warranty runs out, and I'm tempted to buy another, but not sure what and where.

Suggestions?
Sure glad I had the factory extended!
Ferenc

I bought an additional 5 years / 60,000 miles after my initial 8 years / 100,000 miles ran out. My car had 70,000 miles at the time. The cost was less than a cabin heater replacement.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm 

@ miimura ... which dealer and how much did you pay? Last year my brother asked his staff to get a quote from a few dealers here in the bay area and was quoted $5000!!! Naturally he didn't go for it and of course the motor went bad last week! We've had 2 of 3 Rav motors go bad just months after the extended warranties expired! 3rd Rav has warranty until Sept. 2022, so I need to buy another warranty or get a different EV (not so easy with all the shortages and each time I get ready to put an order in for the Y, the price goes UP!)

TIA
Eugene

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:48 pm 

I am sending PMs to people who are asking where I got it and how much I paid. I got it in the Bay Area and cheaper and easier to deal with than the guy in Montana.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:36 pm 

I bought my Rav from Carvana. I bought the warranty. It is administered by Silver Rock. After 80K, the motor bearings failed. The $11K repair cost me $55. Then the main fuse blew. I presume because they didn't reseat it properly. That $500 repair was $55.
My warranty was about $1,500 and was three years and up to 125K. I still have half a year to go and 35K left on the warranty. Not sure it would be the same coverage if you bought it on the street, but I'm happy with SilverRock. They are also easy to deal with.