Top Ten List of problems with RAV4 EV / Pre-purchase List

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

This is mostly for prospective used buyers:

Any RAV4 EV car (with or without some BS "dealer used car certification") should do the following at pre-buy / pre-purchase inspection (or have a responsible person go through the list and send you the results):

Prior to purchase or delivery:

1. RECALLS - check that all recalls have been done

**** Firmware 1.3.101 (US Government recall)
**** Wiper motor (all Rav4s)
**** Seat belts (all Rav4s)

2. FOBs / KEYs - make sure the both the mechanical keys work, as well as both fobs (very common problem)

3. 12 VOLT BATTERY - Change the 12 volt battery if it is the original black top Toyota one. They aren't known to last more than 3 years. If you let the 12 volt battery fail, it can cause all kinds of issues for the car. I recommend a Bosch AGM battery, Group 24F, 60 amp/hour

4. OWNERS MANUAL - you'll want this, if you aren't familiar with the car

5. CHARGING CABLE - the original is a 120 volt / 12 amp unit with a blue plug handle

6. ADJUSTMENTS TO SETTINGS
a. Adjust door unlock remote to open all doors with 1 press; only auto-lock when in drive
b. Adjust car reverse tone to single beep
c. Adjust seat belt reminder chime to only chime once

7. CABIN HEATER - turn the heater to full blast and feel heat come out. This is a $2500 - $6000 repair, which is why you want a warranty. (Frequently fails)

8. AIR CONDITIONING - turn on air conditioning and feel cold air (this rarely fails)

9. TIRES - Check tire wear (the original Yokohamas wear out at 30-40k miles)

10. BRAKES - check brake wear (rarely much wear)

11. DAMAGE - look for obvious damage BELOW the car (ran over curb and damaged battery case, etc)

12. CHARGING - plug it into a J1772 charge station and watch it charge

13. MOTOR NOISE - listen for motor noise (frequently replaced free of charge with 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty, or Platinum Extended Warranty... could be $10,000 to $15,000 otherwise)

14. CENTER INFO-TAINMENT SCREEN - make sure center navigation screen works ($4000 to replace when not in warranty)

15. BATTERY CAPACITY - Check the high voltage "traction" battery capacity http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1625

That's about it. It's not likely that MOST Toyota dealers are going to know the car very well, or even care to do so. Use your own due diligence and don't rely on others to check these things.

Issues with RAV4 EV:

1) Speed sensor - RECALL ITEM - vehicle will pop into neutral and stop, power steering disabled)

2) Gateway / communications "ECU" (can disable vehicle, usually a Check EV light)

3) Motor / gear box noise (requires motor replacement)

4) Heater failure (which then takes out the DC to DC)

5) DC to DC failure

6) Onboard charger failure (can't recharge vehicle... except JdeMO equipped cars with CHAdeMO quick chargers)

7) Leaking oil from gear box (I've had this on both one RAV4 and our Mercedes B-Class ED that shares the same Tesla Model S drivetrain)

8) "CHECK EV SYSTEM" message du jour (requires four ON/OFF cycles)

9) Charge Timer

10) Entunes

11) 12 volt battery

12) Charge port door sticks

Heck, I'll let everybody else decide what else to add to the list and in what order.

The battery could be the only item that gives an advance warning.

Is there a simple home test? I am thinking a minimum voltage to sit for at least a few days or week and still have enough to wake the car up.

You did not list the Gateway ECU failure, which probably falls under #7 when it is intermittent. It can fail more completely though, causing an inability for the car to come READY.

Also to prospective buyers.

It's not all bad as these forums may lead you to conclude.

Many many of us have had problem free vehicles for tens of thousands of miles (including mine @30k). These forums, as with many other vehicle forums, would make it seem that that the RAV4 EV is a schizophrenic pile parts as the people with problems are the most vocal. Sure, I had some early software charge timer bugs but they are largely behind us.

The RAV4 EV is a great vehicle that we continue to use and enjoy.

TonyWilliams said:
To properly test a 12 volt, it needs a load test.
To crank an engine sure...
What does it take to close the main relay and start the DC/DC converter?

Anyway my battery measured 12.92 after resting about four hours. I call that good to go for an EV.

TeCKis300 said:

Many many of us have had problem free vehicles for tens of thousands of miles (including mine @30k). These forums, as with many other vehicle forums, would make it seem that that the RAV4 EV is a schizophrenic pile parts as the people with problems are the most vocal. Sure, I had some early software charge timer bugs but they are largely behind us.

+1

+2

Tony has a very comprehensive list there. And it may be pretty close to sorted by frequency and severity. It's also interesting that Tony has at least 2 Rav4Evs and a B-class EV. We could make a guessing game out of how many Ev's does Tony have?

Mike

mikegerard said:
+2

Tony has a very comprehensive list there. And it may be pretty close to sorted by frequency and severity. It's also interesting that Tony has at least 2 Rav4Evs and a B-class EV. We could make a guessing game out of how many Ev's does Tony have?

Mike

You might be surprised...

TeCKis300 said:

+1. I have had problems, I would have been surprised if there were no problems. There is nothing out there yet like RAV4 EV.

evbuddy said:
TeCKis300 said:

+1. I have had problems, I would have been surprised if there were no problems. There is nothing out there yet like RAV4 EV.

Nor does anybody have anything planned like a RAV4. That's the number one reason why these will hold their value well, and also why I think they are worth the time, money and effort to improve.

TeCKis300 said:

+1 on this... But the motor issue is going to happen to you sooner or later rather you like it or not.

It's not like you got a "special one" or something. We all got the same exact unit and IT WILL start to make noise.

Mine got replace but besides that, it's a solid car after 23k+ miles and hacking :shock:

JasonA said:
TeCKis300 said:

+1 on this... But the motor issue is going to happen to you sooner or later rather you like it or not.

It's not like you got a "special one" or something. We all got the same exact unit and IT WILL start to make noise.

Mine got replace but besides that, it's a solid car after 23k+ miles and hacking :shock:

So, just to be clear, both of you had warranty issues that are on the list (replaced motor and timer) :mrgreen:

I guess that validates it !!!

Has the motor issue finally been resolved or will it need to be replaced over and over....well, until the warranty expires?

My 2014 has 9400 miles with no issues, but I'm not looking forward to having this done someday.

My "Drive Unit" was replaced at 23,000 miles but not because of noise, at least not a whine type of noise. In mine it ran great until one day it developed a very intermittent shudder. Then after this happening a couple of times over about a month, it progressed to a severe shudder, particularly in reverse. Think of the feeling you get with a 4WD with locking hubs turning sharply on dry pavement. My tires were not sliding but the feeling was similar. When driving in forward, it would vary from undetectable to making noise and vibrating.
I tried to get more clarity from the shop on just what failed but all they would say was they replaced the drive unit.

sqwalker said:
Has the motor issue finally been resolved or will it need to be replaced over and over....well, until the warranty expires?

My 2014 has 9400 miles with no issues, but I'm not looking forward to having this done someday.

Tesla is a very progressive company. While it seems that this has gone on "forever", they will fix it eventually.

Just don't let your RAV4 EV get out of warranty.

TonyWilliams said:

That is my biggest concern with the car. Do you know if Toyota will declare our warranties void if we have JdeMOs installed?
It would be awful if Toyota decided to not honor the warranty for motor replacements, heater repairs, DC-DC converter, etc. Can they legally not honor a warranty repair without proof that the mod caused the failure?

tgreene said:
TonyWilliams said:

That is my biggest concern with the car. Do you know if Toyota will declare our warranties void if we have JdeMOs installed?
It would be awful if Toyota decided to not honor the warranty for motor replacements, heater repairs, DC-DC converter, etc. Can they legally not honor a warranty repair without proof that the mod caused the failure?

They can't void you motor warranty for something like this. You have protection under the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

It's number 5 on this list:

JdeMO is for DC quick charging of the 2012-2014 Toyota Rav4 EV and will be available in 2015 from Quick Charge Power.

FAQ's:

1) How fast will the Rav4 EV be able to charge?

Answer: It will charge at approximately 300- 386 volts DC at up to 125 amps, or about 40-47kW. That means that it can charge from 20% to 80% of the battery usable capacity in approximately 35-40 minutes. The RAV4 EV battery has a capacity of about 45-48kWh.

2) What kind of chargers can I use?

Answer: You will still be able to use the existing J1772 plug for charging, and additionally will also be able to also use any CHAdeMO charge station anywhere in the world (but not both at the same time). CHAdeMO is commonly known as the same quick charger used for the Nissan LEAF, KIA Soul EV or Mitsubishi iMiev.

You specifically will NOT be able to use the Tesla Supercharger system, nor will it work at CCS Combo1 or CCS Combo2 chargers used by GM Spark EV, BMW i3 and Volkswagon eGolf. (Note: BMW i3 uses CHAdeMO in Japan).

3) Where are these CHAdeMO chargers located?

Answer: We recommend using http://www.PlugShare.com or http://www.chademo.com to find a station.

4) Will JdeMO damage the car in any way?

Answer: No, If operating as designed. But, increasing the charge rate to any battery that has ever been designed in the history of mankind will likely shorten its lifespan.

5) Will it void my warranty?

Answer: It should not void any warranty, however we do not have control of how any auto manufacturer will likely handle a warranty claim. In all likelihood, any battery failure would likely be blamed on any product connected to the battery, no matter how unlikely it actually did damage. Therefore, each JdeMO sale will require a "hold harmless" agreement that indemnifies Quick Charge Power LLC from any claim. This may preclude JdeMO sales in the state / commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used. The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.
Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the cars.

6) Will there be a warranty on the JdeMO?

Answer: All Quick Charge Power products offer a one year limited warranty.

7) Will it be possible to remove JdeMO on a lease return car?

Answer: Yes , but only by personnel specifically authorized in writing by Quick Charge Power.

8) Do I need to remove JdeMO to have normal service or maintenance performed?

Answer: Absolutely not. We specifically do not want you handling, modifying, repairing or in any way changing JdeMO except to recharge your Rav4 EV from a CHAdeMO charger. If you need to remove JdeMO for any reason, contact Quick Charge Power for instructions.

WARNING: HIGH VOLTAGE CAN KILL. DO NOT TOUCH, MODIFY, HANDLE, REPAIR OR CHANGE JdeMO IN ANY WAY.

9) Can I charge with a CHAdeMO charger and the J1772 plug at the same time?

Answer: No. On a somewhat related note, we anticipate being able to offer a dual onboard charger option in the future that can operate from two separate J1772 plugs, or two NEMA 14-50 outlets (with two JESLA's). It will add almost 60 miles additional range per hour of charging.

10) Can I install JdeMO myself?

Answer: Absolutely not. We specifically do not want you handling, modifying, repairing or in any way changing JdeMO except to recharge your Rav4 EV from a CHAdeMO charger. If you need to remove JdeMO for any reason, contact Quick Charge Power for instructions.

WARNING: HIGH VOLTAGE CAN KILL. DO NOT TOUCH, MODIFY, HANDLE, REPAIR OR CHANGE JdeMO IN ANY WAY.

11) Can my local Toyota dealer install JdeMO?

Answer: Yes, with a properly trained Prius or EV trained technician.

12) How long will it take to install?

Answer: About one to two hours.

13) Will JdeMO be able to power my house through the CHAdeMO plug?

Answer: Yes, it will be compatible with CHAdeMO specification 1.0, therefore with appropriate external equipment, it may work. Obviously, we cannot guess how future equipment may be designed or operate.

14) I have heard that CHAdeMO in the future will be 100kW capable. Will JdeMO be able to charge at that rate?

Answer: No, because in order to get the full 100kW would require a 500 volt battery. Like most modern electric vehicles, the Rav4 EV uses a 400-ish volt battery, therefore the maximum charge rate would be 200 amps multiplied by 400 volts, or about 80kW.

15) Where will JdeMO be mounted?

Answer: It will all fit entirely under the hood. To charge, you will open the hood and plug in the CHAdeMO plug. An extra cost option will be a front mount much like a Nissan LEAF.

16) How much will it cost?

Answer: $2499 plus any options, taxes, installation, shipping, etc.

Back