Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Electric motor assembly internal failure
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 35
Latest update: my auto insurance does not cover mechanical failures, so now I'm out of options. My next plan is to tow the car from the dealership back to my home to try and troubleshoot it on my own or sell it for spare parts.


Last edited by 10basetom on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electric motor assembly internal failure
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Ukraine
10basetom wrote:
Latest update: my auto insurance does not cover mechanical failures, so now I'm out of options. My next plan is to tow the car from the dealership back to my home to try and troubleshoot it on my own or sell it for spare parts.

For this Vehicle: Safety Recall "F0I, 2012-2014 Model Year RAV4 Electric Vehicle (EV), EV Traction Motor Assembly" have Completion Status: Completed.
Date of First Vehicle Use: 08/21/2013, Production Date: 08/08/2013.


Last edited by alflash on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electric motor assembly internal failure
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 35
alflash wrote:
10basetom wrote:
Latest update: my auto insurance does not cover mechanical failures, so now I'm out of options. My next plan is to tow the car from the dealership back to my home to try and troubleshoot it on my own or sell it for spare parts.

For this Vehicle: Safety Recall "F0I, 2012-2014 Model Year RAV4 Electric Vehicle (EV), EV Traction Motor Assembly" have Completion Status: Completed.
Date of First Vehicle Use: 08/21/2013, Production Date: 08/08/2013.


Yes, that's what Toyota corporate told me as well. Unfortunately, there's only a 1yr warranty for recalls, so I'm out of luck. I'm planning to put this on eBay this weekend for spare parts starting at $5200 (the price scrappers have offered for the car).


Last edited by 10basetom on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electric motor assembly internal failure
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Ukraine
10basetom wrote:
alflash wrote:
... For this Vehicle: Safety Recall "F0I, 2012-2014 Model Year RAV4 Electric Vehicle (EV), EV Traction Motor Assembly" have Completion Status: Completed.
Date of First Vehicle Use: 08/21/2013, Production Date: 08/08/2013.
Yes, that's what Toyota corporate told me as well. Unfortunately, there's only a 1yr warranty for recalls, so I'm out of luck. I'm planning to put this on eBay this weekend for spare parts starting at $5200 (the price scrappers have offered for the car).
Do you have documented evidence that this recall is warranted for 1 year?

But in any case, this recall your vehicle was made on 09/30/2015, Dealer Name: FINDLAY TOYOTA AND SCION and its Tesla systems have CID 1.3.101.
I suppose that the alleged "specialists" there did not check this number of the actual software of your car.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electric motor assembly internal failure
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 35
alflash wrote:
10basetom wrote:
alflash wrote:
... For this Vehicle: Safety Recall "F0I, 2012-2014 Model Year RAV4 Electric Vehicle (EV), EV Traction Motor Assembly" have Completion Status: Completed.
Date of First Vehicle Use: 08/21/2013, Production Date: 08/08/2013.
Yes, that's what Toyota corporate told me as well. Unfortunately, there's only a 1yr warranty for recalls, so I'm out of luck. I'm planning to put this on eBay this weekend for spare parts starting at $5200 (the price scrappers have offered for the car).
Do you have documented evidence that this recall is warranted for 1 year?

But in any case, this recall your vehicle was made on 09/30/2015, Dealer Name: FINDLAY TOYOTA AND SCION and its Tesla systems have CID 1.3.101.
I suppose that the alleged "specialists" there did not check this number of the actual software of your car.


They didn't provide a document saying recalls have 1yr warranties on them, but they told me over the phone.

Frankly, I have not had a good experience at any of the local dealerships (Tustin and Irvine). I lost over $850 from Tustin for replacing charge port assembly that didn't fix the 19-flash charging issue, and now Irvine for obviously being clueless about root cause of current issue and not wanting to do anything with the car anymore (though they did grab $250 from me for the diagnostics). They basically suck money from your wallet without guarantee of a real fix of the root cause. I think part of the problem is there are fewer and fewer techs who know this car intimately.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electric motor assembly internal failure
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 35
Do you guys believe in miracles? :D When the tow truck came to the dealership to tow it back to my house, the Toyota guy entered the car to reverse out to make the tow hookup easier. I was like "dude don't bother it's totally dead so we need to push it out", but before I had a chance to finish that thought he casually turns on the car and reverses out! He asked me what's wrong with the car, it looked and ran fine and there were no errors on the dashboard. I was speechless, but to be on the safe side I had it towed home anyway.

What issues fix themselves with time? The only thing I can think of is that something was wet (as @hokiematt suggested) and then it dried up. In the coming weeks I will buy a 12V battery maintainer because I rarely drive this car since working from home. After that I plan to start driving it around the neighborhood to see whether the dreaded "loss of driving power & shifting to N" issue happens again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Electric motor assembly internal failure
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 pm
Posts: 103
Location: Ukraine
10basetom wrote:
Do you guys believe in miracles? :D When the tow truck came to the dealership to tow it back to my house, the Toyota guy entered the car to reverse out to make the tow hookup easier. I was like "dude don't bother it's totally dead so we need to push it out", but before I had a chance to finish that thought he casually turns on the car and reverses out! He asked me what's wrong with the car, it looked and ran fine and there were no errors on the dashboard. I was speechless, but to be on the safe side I had it towed home anyway.

What issues fix themselves with time? The only thing I can think of is that something was wet (as @hokiematt suggested) and then it dried up. In the coming weeks I will buy a 12V battery maintainer because I rarely drive this car since working from home. After that I plan to start driving it around the neighborhood to see whether the dreaded "loss of driving power & shifting to N" issue happens again.

Their comment on the self "fixing/elimination" the problem?

Their comment relative to the previous recommendation?
10basetom wrote:
...UPDATE: the service tech just emailed me the error codes: Internal failure to Electric motor, Codes p312f, c1259
This is the quote they emailed me to get this fixed:
Labor $1950.00
Parts $5940.41
Tax $460.35
TOTAL $8350.76


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group