Dead 12V Battery Again

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcmurry

So in my own carelessness I did it again. I left the car on overnight, or maybe I left the interior lights on. Either way, I woke up with a dead 12V battery.

I got out my jumper cables and connected to my other car. Everything came up, etc.

Now what do I do? I think I should own a medium service battery charger so I can just plug it in and bring the 12V back up, but for now, I will have to just leave it jumpered to my other car for an hour.

Assuming I didn't kill the battery, I should be able to just go drive it again, right? When driving, the car should continue to charge the 12V battery right?

What is the recommended procedure for getting back up after such an event. Did I do the right thing?

Oh, when it came back on, after jumping the battery, it shows 123 miles range. GOM reset I guess. Ha Ha

Greg

gmcmurry said:
So in my own carelessness I did it again. I left the car on overnight, or maybe I left the interior lights on. Either way, I woke up with a dead 12V battery.

I got out my jumper cables and connected to my other car. Everything came up, etc.

Now what do I do? I think I should own a medium service battery charger so I can just plug it in and bring the 12V back up, but for now, I will have to just leave it jumpered to my other car for an hour.

Assuming I didn't kill the battery, I should be able to just go drive it again, right? When driving, the car should continue to charge the 12V battery right?

What is the recommended procedure for getting back up after such an event. Did I do the right thing?

Oh, when it came back on, after jumping the battery, it shows 123 miles range. GOM reset I guess. Ha Ha

Greg
The GOM 123 miles range (after normal charging, not in extended mode) is a little small, but quite acceptable.
Do check the voltage of 12V battery with the ignition off after loading (low or high beam for 10 minutes) and report the result.
How old is your 12V battery?
UPDATE.
RAV4 EV Repair Manual (RM2510U) said:
12 Volt Auxiliary battery voltage (V), NORMAL CONDITION:
  • Power switch on (IG): 11.5 to 12.7 V,
    Power switch on (READY): 13.9 to 14.5 V,
    During plug-in charging: 12.9 to 13.5 V

Greg,

If you killed the 12 volt battery (and even if you can recharge it, you likely did harm), we recommend a GROUP 24F battery, either lead-acid or AGM (AGM preferred).

Then, physically remove the light bulb from the rear door.

You are likely pressing the power button more than once when you turn the car off, which will turn the 12 volt accessory mode on. Since the car is not in READY, the 12 volt battery is drained.

The 12 volt battery is only charged when the car is in READY, or when CHARGING.

RAV4 EV 12 volt battery recommendation:

1) AGM (not flooded acid cells like the original)

2) Group 24F size

3) 60 amp/hour rating or greater

YES, WE RECOGNIZE THAT THIS IS NOT THE BATTERY or BATTERY SIZE THAT PEP BOYS OR TOYOTA RECOMMENDS !
INSIST ON THE PHYSICALLY LARGER SIZE.

We recommend telling the parts counter person that the battery is for a homemade dune buggy, which should stop them from trying to sell you the wrong battery.

INTERSTATE BUILT BATTERY:

Group 24F LEAD-ACID BATTERY FROM COSTCO part number 852154 - about $90
From Interstate directly, there are three possible choices:
MT24F $150
MTP24F $170
MTZ34R (with spacer) AGM - only 62 ah - $299

JOHNSON CONTROLS BUILT BATTERY:

Champion Battery at Pep Boys
24F710CHAGM
sku 2071574

Autozone also has the same battery, also built by Johnson Controls, for about $200:
Duralast Platinum AGM Battery 24F-AGM Group Size 24F 710 CCA

ENERSYS BUILT BATTERIES:

Bosch S6508B S6

Exide Edge FP-AGM24F
Both above units are built by Enersys

Thanks,

Tony Williams
Founder/ CEO / Product Architect
QC CHARGE
1497 POINSETTIA AVE
Suite 154
VISTA, CA 92081-8542 USA