Does EVgo no longer allow charging via JdeMO?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 340

I received an email today from EVgo informing me of new terms of service for their customers. This part may be of interest to JdeMO owners / users:

"Authorized Charging Adapters
For your safety, EVgo only permits the use of automaker-manufactured charging adapters on EVgo charging stations or with EVgo’s charging network (“Authorized Adapters”). EVgo prohibits the use of all other adapters (“Unauthorized Adapters”) on EVgo’s network and charging stations."

Does this mean that EVgo no longer allows people to charge via JdeMO on its network?

I did send that question to their support staff, and I'll update this thread if/when I receive a useful response.

I don't think we are in any danger. The JdeMO is not an "adapter". I think the target is devices like the Setec CCS to Tesla adapter.

However, it also contains the language below:

Prohibition of Home-Built Electric Vehicles, Modified Vehicles, and Modified Chargers
Similarly, EVgo prohibits the use of all home-built electric vehicles, home-built onboard chargers, and vehicles that contain personally-modified chargers (“Unauthorized Vehicles and Chargers”).

Again, I don't think this applies to us either because it is a professional modification, not "personally-modified"

miimura said:
Again, I don't think this applies to us either because it is a professional modification, not "personally-modified"
Does this mean that every charge they need to show a JdeMO certificate of "quality / conformity"?

alflash said:
miimura said:
Does this mean that every charge they need to show a JdeMO certificate of "quality / conformity"?

At the current level of operations, any change in policy like this is clearly unenforceable. Therefore I don't think that we have to worry too much about what it means for JdeMO users in practice, but it would be good to know what the intent is and where we stand for legal and other reference.

tgreene said:
alflash said:
miimura said:

At the current level of operations, any change in policy like this is clearly unenforceable. Therefore I don't think that we have to worry too much about what it means for JdeMO users in practice, but it would be good to know what the intent is and where we stand for legal and other reference.
I think that any fallout from this would come more from liability for damage should a car or charger be damaged during a charge than trying to police use of their charging network. I suppose that EVGO COULD program their chargers to refuse JDeMO, but I doubt they would do that.

davewill said:
I think that any fallout from this would come more from liability for damage should a car or charger be damaged during a charge than trying to police use of their charging network.
[nods]

davewill said:
I suppose that EVGO COULD program their chargers to refuse JDeMO, but I doubt they would do that.

Casually reading, I don't think it is technically possible for a CHAdeMO charging station to know what it's plugged into, unless it can figure it out from the sequence of handshaking. I could be wrong, though.

alflash said:
miimura said:

PUBLIC STATEMENT REGARDING USING PUBLIC CHARGE STATION NETWORKS

The choice, whether to use or not use an Electric Vehicle charging product, shall be retained by the vehicle operator / owner and the entity providing charging services. We are not part of that decision process.

We fully and wholeheartedly give each of our customers permission to use our equipment for its intended purpose, and not for any other purpose. If safety is EVER in question, do not use the equipment and contact us and/or contact the charging network provider for more information.

Neither EVGo, nor any public charge network, has any control nor any mastery over our company, QC Charge aka Quick Charge Power LLC, that produces professionally produced charging products for Electric Vehicles worldwide.

There will be no date, ever, that we will be subservient to any public charging network, nor will we be providing any “conformity” documents, nor asking “permission” from any kind to such non-government or non-regulatory entities.

In return, we won’t require such documentation from any public charging network whose equipment or network may damage our customer’s equipment.

Thanks,

Tony Williams
QC Charge
Electric Vehicle Super Center
1497 Poinsettia, Suite 154
Vista, California 92081 USA
[email protected]
QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time