3 Child seats in the second row.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vordo

I have a 21 month old child and twins on the way and I'd like to know with some certainty that I can get 3 car seats in the back of the R4EV. The back seat seems to be as wide as a Prius and there are a lot of folks with 3 car seats, but the weird center seatbelt thing of the Rav 4 doesn't fill me with confidence. Anyone out there with experience, please chime in.

I think it will be a real challenge. I have two rear-facing carseats in each of the outer seats, and about enough room for the armrest in the middle. As you may already see, the middle seat seems to overlap the left seat. Even trying to put a carseat in the middle and hook it to the outer LATCH clips looks like there wouldn't be enough space to fit.

Too bad auto or carseat makers don't see this as a customer need or a sales opportunity.

http://spontaneoustriplets.com/2012/06/3-car-seats-across-one-row/ (Maybe it depends on what carseat you use, this guy got 3 across his small SUV)

http://thecarseatlady.com/triplets-tips-on-fitting-3-infant-seats-across-the-back-seat-or-2-side-by-side-for-twins/

http://www.multimac.co.uk/home (looks cool, but UK company)

This is tricky and may need some experimentation depending on the seats you have. I've got an arsenal of 6 different car seats that I've used in 3 different cars, from really big SUV to tiny sports car, and then the RAV.

Hopefully the seats you have/will be getting will be narrower models as many normal models just flat won't work. So many child seats and infant carriers are waaay wide due to all the side protection one-upmanship between brands.

Physically, the bench is wide enough. The problem, as mentioned already, is the sub optimal latch and belt positioning for 3 across. Great for 2, as the latch centers the child seats in each bucket. But it's hard to take advantage of the full bench width that way. Three across needs the seats at the sides all the way against the door. The only way to do that is to use the standard lap/shoulder belts. Then use the center-most latches for the middle seat. It's not ideal and no manuals will recommend it, but it can definitely work well with all seats tightly secured.

Another trick is to stagger the seats in height. That allows the side bolsters/arm rests of the child seats to kinda stack over one another. For example, some car seats (especially convertibles) have a thicker base that elevates the car seat. You might be able to use the infant carriers without snap in bases along each side of the convertible for your 21mth old at the center position.

Good luck!

I PM'ed with a Rav4EV'er named 'scooter' and he's done 3 across using the Sunshine Radian which is designed for 3 across in smaller spaces (like the prius).

he actually had the mention in his signature - that's how I found him and this forum.

not happy about even more car seats, but hey, if it works then that's a good thing.

Back