Entune: I don't get it

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

I've installed this Entune iPhone app and registered an account. The RAV can link to it by means of Blutooth thus enabling the "apps" area in the navi. When I fist did that it did an update and added some new apps to the car so it would seem this is working fine.

However, people here on the forum keep making mention of remotely seeing status of some stuff, starting charging, starting hvac, etc. I don't have any options for anything like that in my entune app. When I launch entune (on the phone) I just have six icons: bing, iheartradio, movietickets, opentable, pandora, and saved destinations.

What, probably super obvious, thing am I missing?

Thanks!

You need to go to http://www.myentune.com and create an account there. Sounds like you did that. Then you need to link that to your vehicle via your Safety Connect contract ID. (Your dealer should have given you that.) That is how your vehicle talks over the cell network to Toyota/Entune. Did you do that? I seem to recall that I had to check a box on the website allowing my driving data to be shared with Toyota and then the car control apps worked. They also didn't work right away, but seemed to take a few hours for that information to propagate.

SeaMonster said:
You need to go to http://www.myentune.com and create an account there. Sounds like you did that. Then you need to link that to your vehicle via your Safety Connect contract ID. (Your dealer should have given you that.) That is how your vehicle talks over the cell network to Toyota/Entune. Did you do that? I seem to recall that I had to check a box on the website allowing my driving data to be shared with Toyota and then the car control apps worked. They also didn't work right away, but seemed to take a few hours for that information to propagate.

If you're like me, you didn't get a Safety Connect contract ID from your know-nothing dealer. You can call the 800 number and get it directly from the Entunes support line.

1-800-331-4331

BTW, is anyone else seeing an inverse correlation between EV Efficiency (mi/kWh) and ECO Driving Score (#/100) reported on their ECO dashboard?

Indeed.. So I had missed something. Never heard of a safety contract ID. I will call them this morning and hopefully that will sort it.

Thanks!

This is one of those "other" areas that the dealers are dropping the ball BIG TIME! I was not informed of this either when I purchased my car and had to figure it out entirely on my own. It is almost criminal that the dealers are not taking responsibility for this themselves . . . to wit, unless I am mistaken, the "SOS" button in the center console in the roof just above the driver's head, is essentially worthless until you register your contract ID with Safety Connect.

Perhaps this is the best thread for my Entunes "problem".
In theory Entunes is a useful application of modern technology that allows the car to use cellular and smart phone connectivity to provide some useful functions like setting car charging time and finding charging stations.

In practice,
Download Entunes for BlackBerry - Except that Entunes (Toyota) chose not to support the new BB OS so there is not a version for BB9900
Sign up for Safety Connect account - Nowhere in the documentation does it say that but it is required

BB9900 specific - find a workaround on the web. Download and install. Entunes on BB works
Sync to car works for phone, surprisingly audio files play automatically via bluetooth
But the APP button still results only in "APP update unsuccessful Try again"

Anybody have any ideas other than to either replace the car or the phone? :)

Dsinned said:
This is one of those "other" areas that the dealers are dropping the ball BIG TIME! I was not informed of this either when I purchased my car and had to figure it out entirely on my own. It is almost criminal that the dealers are not taking responsibility for this themselves . . . to wit, unless I am mistaken, the "SOS" button in the center console in the roof just above the driver's head, is essentially worthless until you register your contract ID with Safety Connect.

In the buzz to get the car out the door I remember being told that. I was shocked that my dealer did not understand finance vs lease and the Federal Rebate. Just wish I would have waited until Feb for the Toyota incentive :) But I like the car:)

=D~~ Brandy

I'm curious how the Entune Internet connection works for things like charging updates and remote start of the HVAC. It is my understanding that it connects to your cell phone and then connects using your data plan on the phone. If that is so, wouldn't your phone have to be in the car (or at least within range of bluetooth) to broadcast a charging update or enable the HVAC over the Internet? I use these features all the time on my LEAF but it has an AT&T wireless card built in for Carwings.

There are multiple cellphones/sim cards in the car. The Safety Connect uses one. The Tesla/Toyota EV monitoring system uses one although it is not clear to me if these two use the same cell/sim or separate. Perhaps Tony knows.
And then the Entunes uses your personal cell phone through either Bluetooth or USB.
Actually it doesn't on mine bacause I cannot get it to work, Entunes that is.
Interestingly I started getting "Charge complete" emails late last week even though Entunes gives me a "App update unsuccessful" message. The charge complete must come through the Tesla/Toyota ATT service.

SeattleRav4 said:
There are multiple cellphones/sim cards in the car. The Safety Connect uses one. The Tesla/Toyota EV monitoring system uses one although it is not clear to me if these two use the same cell/sim or separate. Perhaps Tony knows.

It's an AT&T Sim card in the left rear of the car, in the Tesla communications box.

Certainly, that shares absolutely nothing with Safety Connect. Also, I used Safety Connect once already when I was stuck and my AT&T iPhone didn't get a signal, so I'll guess that Toyota uses a different service than AT&T.

Rav4loggingDataECUcard_zps15e5bfc9.jpg

I'm having trouble with the "Charge Management" feature on the Entune app. It can't seem to receive an update. My friend has the same problem. He could only get his to work when he was right next to the car. We've tried both the Android and iphone apps, so I don't think it's an app problem. Seems like it is on the car or server side. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I just spent almost an hour on the phone with Toyota to try to get the Safety Connect Contract ID. I talked to three different people, no one knew WTF is a RAV4 EV. And none of them even thought it was possible to remotely check on the charge status. None of them can do anything for me. What do you guys do? Do you have to pay for a subscription just to see the charge status on the car?! And if so, how can you get Toyota to sell you one of these contracts?! And how much does it cost? This is my first Toyota and so far, it's a very frustrating car company to deal with.

EDIT: BTW, this is for a used RAV4 that I just purchased from a private party.

The easiest way to do this is to contact the seller, have them log into their Entune account at https://myentune.com, have them click on the Vehicles link, and then have them click on the "Transfer Ownership" button next to the RAV4 EV. Have them enter your email address, and you will then get e-mail from Entune/Toyota about the transfer of the account, which should include the existing Safety Connect subscription.

You do need an active Safety Connect account to use the remote charge management functionality. Safety Connect is a cellular connection that allows you to use the SOS button to contact an emergency operator from the car in the event of trouble on the road, but it also allows the car to transfer data to/from Entune for the remote charging, climate control, and "find my car" functions. Each RAV4 EV gets three free years of Safety Connect, so all of them out there can do this for free right now, but some of us 2012 owners will start paying for the honor shortly. It's $140/year after year three.

If you cannot have the previous owner transfer ownership in the way I recommended above, you will need to call Toyota at 1-800-331-4331, tell them that you bought a used Toyota, and wish to transfer the existing Safety Connect contract on the car to your Entune account. If they do not understand what a RAV4 EV is - which is likely, as the first and second-line Toyota call center reps never do - tell them that it is similar to a Plug-in Prius in terms of Entune functionality, and you are looking to add the "Entune Plug-in Hybrid and EV" apps, which are what they are called in the app, which needs the Safety Connect ID.

Good luck. The RAV4 EV is a great car, but yeah, calling into the Toyota call centers about it tends to be just awful.

Thanks eschatfische! Just before reading your post, I saw that button in my own Entunes account and e-mailed the previous owner to see if he can still do that now that I've already "claimed" ownership of the vehicle (I see the car's VIN in my account). I hope so.

Back