ALL POSTS -CLUNK when braking and when going between D and R

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

We have developed a "clunk" It appears in two conditions:

1. When braking, there is a clunk from under the car about half the time, shortly after applying the brake pedal
2. When shifting from D to R, there's a clunk just when moving the shifter

Anyone else see this or have any ideas? It's not too loud but it's noticeable and it's new

YES! I first noticed it a while back but it wasn't consistent and it was pretty subtle. Today it was REALLY distinctive, louder, and noticeable. So much so that that's the reason I logged into the forum; to see what others are doing about it.

Mine is a 2013 with about 33,500 miles on it. The other thing that I heard when driving home tonight was a high pitched whine when accelerating. Not the normal whirring sound, but louder and more intrusive. It was only when first accelerating, from zero to about 30 or 35 mph, or at least that's the only time I could really hear it distinctly. Definitely the second new sound, though, that's surfaced recently.

Loose CV joints seem to be a problem for some. Is that what Michael and I are experiencing? I'm out of State so if any other non-CA folks have had this problem resolved, please share with us how it unfolded.

I've been noticing a clunk for the past couple of months that most often occurs when starting up again from a full stop, like a stoplight. It's definitely a new sound. (I'm at 26K miles with a Sept 2013 build.)

I've experimented for a while and found that I can't reliably reproduce it on demand despite how often I notice it in normal city driving.... until I tried switching between D and R and going into motion. Then it happens every time.

It doesn't seem to be triggered by the actual physical motion of the vehicle. It seems to be tied to engaging acceleration with more than just the creep motion, but it also doesn't require quick acceleration. It's most easy to notice with slow acceleration, in either forward or reverse.

I asked my local mechanic about it (not a Toyota dealer) and he inspected various aspects of the suspension and found everything to be tight.

I also have this issue. I posted a video of it over on the Rav EV facebook page. Although it is not quite as noticeable in the video as it is in person.

Mine has the clunk when taking off, when braking, and now even when turning. It has become louder in the past few weeks, to where passengers notice.

The popping/clunk happened on my original motor for about 6 months.

I JUST RECENTLY had a motor replacement. And I voiced this concern beforehand. And the noise is still happening.

To me, it sounds and feels like the left front axle. My Rav is a late 2013 delivered in 2014, with 30k miles currently.

I have noticed this clunk noise for over a year (on my 2013). It feels like brake pad shift.

Does not seem serious as it has been going on for quite a while.

Shoreline Blue EV said:
To me, it sounds and feels like the left front axle. My Rav is a late 2013 delivered in 2014, with 30k miles currently.

Sadly, these half shafts came out of the factory not properly torqued (there has been a LOT of this issue over the years). Just jack up the left wheel (with the parking brake FIRMLY set) and the vehicle turned off, then rotate the wheel back and forth, listening for the noise.

You could have an experienced hand look underneath (use safety!... always use jack stands with a jack) while you exercise the wheel. Something in there isn't right, and its not in the motor (since that was just changed).

There just isn't that many parts in there.

It's more than likely that your drive shaft bolts have loosened and need to be re-tightened. It happened on my Rav after about 30,000 miles.

Got both a call and an email from the Seattle area dealer who I took my car to about (among other things) the CLUNK that my 2013 also exhibits.

Earlier today I sent an email to the tech adviser after he told me they hadn't gotten to the CLUNK yet, but that the tech was "on a test drive with it right now". In my email I pasted the various responses folks here on the forum had posted about what their dealers and others had told them. I also threw in the piece from Tony about the "bad half-shafts leaving the factory not torqued properly."

Here's the email response I got back"

"Technician was able to verify your concern. We are currently working with FTS on the issue and awaiting an answer back. I will let you know as soon as I hear something."

I am cautiously optimistic that since they DID verify the CLUNK, they'll actually help to get it resolved.

Anyone want to place any "gentleman's bets" on the outcome?

I posted this in the Facebook group, but I think this is a better place for future reference.

My clunk was resolved at my last dealer visit on August 23rd and it has not returned after more than 3 weeks. Here's the description of the corrective work from the work order:

REMOVED BOTH FRONT AXLES FROM HUBS. CLEANED SPLINES & RELUBED WITH COPPERCOAT, RETORQUED AND REPLACED AXLE NUTS, ROAD TESTED AND WAS NOT ABLE TO REPRODUCE CONCERN. CUSTOMER TO DRIVE & MONITOR/REPORT IF CONCERN IS GONE.

I have heard others say on the forum (like Bassman above) that re-torquing the (CV joint ??) axle bolts fixed it for them. However, at my previous visit they checked and retorqued everything in the driveline and came up empty. Also, I had to drive with the master tech to reproduce the noise for him to hear. This is what he wrote:

UNABLE TO REPRODUCE CUSTOMER CONCERN. ROAD TESTED WITH CUSTOMER, DID VERIFY A VERY INTERMITTENT CLUNK FROM RIGHT FRONT THAT WAS NOT EASILY REPRODUCED ON RD TEST. POSSIBLE AXLE SHAFT/HUB SPLINE NOISE.

Toyota of Kirkland (WA) called me today to tell me that they're getting me a new motor, well they actually called it a generator motor. Called back later with a message that I could come and pick up the car and use it until the new motor comes in.

Don't know if the new motor will solve the problem, but since I also advised them (in writing) about what others have found with the splines and torque, I hope they'll do things right.

Hi guys,

Just experienced a knocking sensation when shifting my RAV4 EV from N to D while in slow motion. I think I was going at about 3 or 4 mph in my college campus parking lot. Anyway, just wondering if I should be worried? The knock was pretty clear and the RAV4 EV felt like it stopped then went in short quick intervals. Very short. I then shifted to N then to D again and it did it again. This just makes me wonder if what the manual says about not shifting to N while in motion is true? That is can cause damage? It certainly wasn't a graceful thing what I experienced. Even my mother felt alarmed because it was quite clear that something was happening.

Thoughts?

Edit: Well perhaps knock is the wrong word. I don't recall hearing much but there was certainly something. What was experienced the most was the reengaging of the motor which made the rav4 ev jerk back and forth rapidly. There was sound but not really knocking not metallic. There definitely was some sound though.

Always check to see if there are already posts / threads about a topic. Here's the one about the CLUNK noise that sounds like the same issue.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1881

Here's what my service ticket said when I got my car back yesterday:

GUEST STATES THAT FRONT END CLUNK NOISE HEARD AT SLOW SPEEDS HEARD IN DRIVE OR REVERSE. GUEST STATES INTERMITTENT ISSUE.GUEST STATES THAT ESPECIALLY OCCURS IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC.

TEST DROVE. HEARD NOISE. TEST DROVE WITH FTS. HEAR NOISE. WAS ABLE TO VERIFY NOISE COMING FROM TESLA MOTOR. AWAITING CALL BACK FROM FTS TO TECH.

FTS CALLED BACK. SENT FTS VIN AND MILAGE FOR TAS CASE.
ORDERING GENERATOR AS INSTRUCTED. WILL CONTACT GUEST ONCE PART ARRIVES.

PART ON ORDER

Took my car in to Kirkland (WA) Toyota for them to replace the drive unit the other day. Following day I picked it up and what a difference!

NO CLUNKING, no apparent slack or slippage in the drive train, and feels smoother, quieter, and "like new". Took only about 2 weeks from the time I reported it until getting it scheduled.

Kevin Spillane rocks! Kudos and a big huge thank you to him.

The local dealers are another story. It seems to have come from some regional service manger who basically has been telling the NW dealers that they can't even touch the vehicle for the seat belt recall or ANY other servicing. What a crock! Kevin and whoever at the helpline made it all happen. With luck, he told them to start telling the truth and treating us RAV4 EV owners with a little more respect. The "We can't help you" attitude is total crap, and any self-respecting service center would know it.

I also had them perform the 30k (or was it 35k) check up and everything came up fine. The "batter check" that they performed however, was only for the 12 volt, not the traction battery. Cost me $115 to basically have them tell me everything is good. Is that the cost of Peace of Mind these days?

Larry_in_Seattle said:
I also had them perform the 30k (or was it 35k) check up and everything came up fine. The "batter check" that they performed however, was only for the 12 volt, not the traction battery. Cost me $115 to basically have them tell me everything is good. Is that the cost of Peace of Mind these days?
It may also be the cost of maintaining the status of your Extended Warranty. It has verbiage that basically says you have to perform the recommended scheduled maintenance. Of course, if you keep notes as to date and mileage and you check everything in the warranty and maintenance booklet, then you should be good.

I just purchased a 2013 Rav 4 EV - I live in Marysville, WA and commute to Bellevue - thank you for sharing your experiences here - quite helpful - I also detected the clunk in mine - I will reach out to Toyota of Kirkland - thanks.

Just experienced a single thud sound (NO SHAKING OR JARRING) when shifting from N to D followed by no acceleration power from pedal for about 1 to 2 seconds and a flashing round yellow ! exclamation mark on the main screen. After the 1 to 2 seconds the motor finally reengages from N to D and I get power. Did this twice in a row. It makes me wonder if I maybe shift from N to D TOO MUCH? I literally try to coast in N as much as possible for best battery range. It makes me wonder if me playing too much with it might be a bad idea? I am going to keep an eye on this and see if it happens more often. I wonder what the little thud sound is? This is different from my other post up which was at slow speed of about 3 mph and shifting N to D caused the RAV4 to make a sound then shake back and forth as the motor engaged again.

I wonder if something is starting to happen down there?

The slow speed 3 mph issues doesn't happen all the time. Almost random and this new one... well its new. I just wonder if taking it in is WORTH IT? because they will charge me for the inspection and the slow issue is pretty random and most of the time is not present and this one... well... its new so I have to see if it becomes constant.

Hey everyone,

I've had my electric Rav 4 for almost 3 years now, and I must say I am happy about it. The only thing that I did not like when I first sat in it slightly rough drive... But with years I got used to it. Anyways, in my area road pavement is frankly speaking so-so, and now my suspension requires minor repair which I guess I will do by myself. So, when I go from drive to reverse I feel my suspension clunking... So I was wondering whether this sounds like radius arm bushing or axle pivot bushing? I am not sure how to determine what is what, and which of these 2 causes this sound? Visually see that nothing is missing...

Any suggestions are appreciated!

TonyWilliams said:
Half shafts, splines, u-joints, constant velocity joints. Take to dealer. Common issues.

Thanks for moving it here, now I see that there's nothing extraofdinary about the case I've got... Will go ahead and check this out by myself, first. Now I guess I know what I'll be looking for.

----
Update - really discovered a problem with the bushings. In my case, these were the radius arm bushings). So I went ahead and ordered the new ones yesterday (https://www.carid.com/radius-arm-bushings/), and hope to get them delivered today, so that I could fix it this weekend...

Back