Top Ten List of problems with RAV4 EV / Pre-purchase List

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else had a problem with the drivers side electric window "auto" function ?
Only when driving, when I want to auto close the window, it comes down again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbCNKWPmBWg

Dealer looked at it for the 4th time today at 25k miles service.
They ordered a new "window runner"
I hope it get fixed soon.
I was just wondering I am the only one with this particular "feature"

TonyWilliams said:
This is mostly for prospective used buyers:

Any RAV4 EV car (with or without some BS "dealer used car certification") should do the following at pre-buy / pre-purchase inspection (or have a responsible person go through the list and send you the results):

1) turn on heater at full blast and feel heat come out. This is a $2500 repair, which is why you want a warranty. (Frequently fails)

This number is totally wrong for my RAV4 EV. It's 2013 at less than 40K miles. The cost to replace that heater core and DC to DC converter is ~$6200. Worse these 2 components caused the EV check system on and made the car to be a piece of junk. It is not just heater that you will have to let go and live as you are in California but it's total of your investment and the pain you have to endure months later as you own it.

You should think twice to buy this one used. Don't listen to anyone this is a good car. Even after replacement, the dealer says it only warrants for 12 months. If you buy this, you can think about paying $6200 every 12 months. It is a disaster and poor design that the loyal customer like me has to suffer. Even if you think it's good idea to buy extended warranty, but it is only good for up to 100K miles. I don't know if anyone offers beyond that. I am certainly not thinking about buying a car which can run up to 100K miles, after that it is a liability.

Oh don't even count on Toyota Customer Experience care. Once you are out of comprehensive warranty of 36K miles, you are pretty much on your own. Don't count on the TSB service bulletin TSB-00111-14 (or something like that). Toyota denies their liability one these components even it failed on hundred cars (out of total of 2600).

Once again, don't buy this expensive used EV. If you are crazy enough, be sure buy an extended warranty that you can buy (hopefully that extended warranty covers the part and not being excluded in some fine print). I can buy a used Leaf with lesser mileage same year with around $7K and that one should be more reliable than this Toyota frankenstein product.

Sorry to vent a bit, but my trust on Toyota and loyalty completely betrays me this time.

LLN

I completely understand your frustration, but the heater failure does not always take out the DC/DC converter, so the repair is actually more like $2,500. As many of these cars are out of warranty, it should possible for someone to establish a repair service for the DC/DC converter. Anyone who pays for the repair out of pocket without any kind of warranty paying, should be entitled to the broken part. Those parts should be rebuilt and made available to other owners with a significant core charge to keep them in circulation.

Do these parts (heater & DC/DC) need a reprogram at the dealer?
Or can they be purchased and self replaced?

smkettner said:
Do these parts (heater & DC/DC) need a reprogram at the dealer?
Or can they be purchased and self replaced?

You mean if you pulled the Desno cabin heater out of a Nissan LEAF? I suspect it just turns on and off, so there's not likely any programming.

The DC to DC issue is a diode. Cheap part... difficult to replace.

llnsj said:
If you buy this, you can think about paying $6200 every 12 months. It is a disaster and poor design that the loyal customer like me has to suffer. Even if you think it's good idea to buy extended warranty, but it is only good for up to 100K miles.

The Toyota Platinum "new car" warranty is available up to 10 years / 125,000 miles.

You're not going to replace the cabin heater every 12 months.

Good luck getting it repaired.

Well, I have a 2014 RAV4-EV and have driven is a my daily work vehicle: (65K miles in 38months). Charging it every night, many times with extended charge, added about $150 a month to my electric bill compared to $500 a month on gasoline to drive the same distance. (I drive a lot)

Service come pretty regularly, every 5k (for me that every 2 months), which has been very inexpensive :D. I've put on a set of tires at 30K and replaced the 12v battery at 24mo. Other than that this have been the most "Maintenance Free" car I have ever owned.

When the time come to replace the traction battery, I'll be happy to do that and keep on driving; knowing that I'll still be well ahead of the game if you compare maintenance of a gas powered Rav4.

Michael

Back