Longer Range Battery / Extra battery

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating topic!! I have been comtemplating getting a Rav4 EV to replace my current Fiat500e + old ICE minivan and cover all my needs.

In particular tow a trailer with 3 dirtbikes for the occasional weekend with my son (Tony, I believe you also ride dirt bikes and tow them with your Rav4 right?).

I figured I need 200 miles range for a round trip to Hollister (I live in Sunnyavle, CA, exact round trip 140 miles) and I was thinking of fitting additional batteries on/under the trailer.

Am I approaching this from the wrong angle?

Thanks.

I've ridden at Hollister many times. They should have a campground nearby for 50 amp service, so just plug in while riding with a JESLA or other 40 amp portable charge cable ($900).

Yes, RAV4 EV will handle dirt bikes fine. I'll be getting the new Alta Motors dirt bike soon!

Plan B would be a Honda 7000W generator at 240v / 22 amps (5kW). ($4500)

Absolutely, you need JdeMO to fast charge in Hollister !!! 30-45 minutes adds 60-90 miles of range. ($3500)

You don't need VERY expensive batteries.

"Yes, RAV4 EV will handle dirt bikes fine. I'll be getting the new Alta Motors dirt bike soon!"

Wow nice bike! looking for a second Zero MX or X so I can take my Son out with me.

Ah yes..... recharge while there...

Damn, they dont have any RV hook ups.. :(
https://www.campgroundviews.com/listing/hollister-hills-svra-campgrounds/

I'll talk to the rangers and the shop owner next time, they must have 220V outlets somewhere...

TonyWilliams said:
Sure, the battery could be anywhere, but we are concentrating all efforts on the third row "well".

I hope to have a definitive answer by 31 Dec 2017.

Should we be expecting some updates or other good news tomorrow?

I've been thinking about 3rd row footwell batteries but this crash test is pretty scary. IF there were an accident they would be hit hard.

https://youtu.be/KaFdDKeKHrs

Maybe if the batteries were in a really strong case to absorb some of the hit? What about a built in fire extinguisher of some kind inside the battery box? How explosive are batteries anyway?

Definitely considering range extending options but now that I have a newborn that will be riding around with me I am more concerned with safety.

Hello, RAV4 EV Forum -
I realize this is an old thread but does anything know if any shops or companies are selling after market traction batteries for the 2014 RAV4 ev? Or anyone rebuilding the batteries? My 2014 only gets ~60 miles on a full charge so I either need to find a high capacity replacement or sell the car.
I'm in the San Diego area.
Please advise.
Thank you.

Hello, RAV4 EV Forum -
I realize this is an old thread but does anything know if any shops or companies are selling after market traction batteries for the 2014 RAV4 ev? Or anyone rebuilding the batteries? My 2014 only gets ~60 miles on a full charge so I either need to find a high capacity replacement or sell the car.
I'm in the San Diego area.
Please advise.
Thank you.
None

Call QCCharge. They might have a solution and they’re in San Diego county. I recently saw a YT video that featured a mechanic describing battery repair options in their shop for a model S battery, I think. Maybe they can work on ours too.

Call QCCharge. They might have a solution and they’re in San Diego county. I recently saw a YT video that featured a mechanic describing battery repair options in their shop for a model S battery, I think. Maybe they can work on ours too.
Working on the battery is entirely different than engineering a larger battery and adapting it to the vehicle. QC-Charge routinely replaces contactors inside the battery and can swap a battery from a different RAV4 EV. However, even swapping modules as a repair for damaged ones is very difficult to do properly because the pack can easily go out of balance if the modules are not carefully capacity matched.

Back